A silly observation about mac vs. PC hardware - battery life

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Apple - 3.6v 1/2AA off-brand (I don;t have an original one around here to check, even). Lithium. Expensive, hard to find. Or, even worse, a few REALLY choice models had a really odd, box-shaped thing. Rayovac 1.5v Alkaline, I think.
Everyone else in the known universe - 3v Sony CR2032. Lithium. You can get them at f'ing Walmart with the watch batteries.

Of course, it doesn't matter that the CR2032's are easy to find - they last FOREVER. And when I say forever, I mean "I've never seen a dead one." I have two 286's here with 2032's in them. They still work.

But Apples.... They die every 2-3 years it seems. I know they still used them in the G3's and G4's - because I've replaced them; don't know about the G5's. And I pray for those of you with their laptops, because I suspect they have this same ticking timebomb of a battery in them (though, I'm not sure if one would even FIT in the physical height those systems afford, so it's entirely possible that they used a sane battery)

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
What, no zealotist defenses? Nobody telling me that I'm dead wrong?

I've seen a couple of dead 2032's. They weren't in any of my machines so I don't know the cause of them dying.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
We had a Macintosh Centra II series. It stopped working one day . . we donated to school and got a new one (it was out of date), the problem was a dead CMOS battery. Replaced it and used it as a computer lab machine, worked fine.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Stefan
What, no zealotist defenses? Nobody telling me that I'm dead wrong?

I've seen a couple of dead 2032's. They weren't in any of my machines so I don't know the cause of them dying.

Tossed in a bucket of water no doubt.

sonz70

Banned
Apr 19, 2005
*adds this as another one of his long long lists to never spend his money on a mac*

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: eelw
PRAM??? That should be EEPROM.

I have no idea what they actually call the stuff, all I know is that the damn clock and half the other settings cease to work when it dies - which is frequently.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Lucifer
The PRAM battery in my G4 hasn't been changed since 2000 so far.

Give it a few weeks. It's coming (unless you never turn the thing off, because there is no battery rundown when they're powered on)

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
The PRAM battery in my G4 hasn't been changed since 2000 so far.

Give it a few weeks. It's coming (unless you never turn the thing off, because there is no battery rundown when they're powered on)

I sparingly turn off my computer. So I know this PRAM battery is going to go for a loooooong time.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
...and it's also one of those things Mac users often reset whenever there's a problem..ie:

"My Mac is crashing......help!"

Typical MadMac'er answers:

"Just try to reset PRAM, PMU, Check with Disk First Aid, Check Permissions, Toss Preferences, Test for bad ram..etc!"

Then another MadMac'er responce says:

"Are you running Jaguar? If so, it's worth buying the upgrade to TIGERRRR! for the bug fixes and awsome SEARCH tools!!"

And yet another MadMac'er budges in and says:

"Thank LEADER that we're not running WINDOZE otherwise you'll be running into BSODs and OMG.........REGISTRY AND DLL PROBLEMS LOLLZ!!"

Then all of them together says:

"LEADER"

....crazy ass sonafabitches.....

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: deathkoba
...and it's also one of those things Mac users often reset whenever there's a problem..ie:

"My Mac is crashing......help!"

Typical MadMac'er answers:

"Just try to reset PRAM, PMU, Check with Disk First Aid, Check Permissions, Toss Preferences, Test for bad ram..etc!"

Then another MadMac'er responce says:

"Are you running Jaguar? If so, it's worth buying the upgrade to TIGERRRR! for the bug fixes and awsome SEARCH tools!!"

And yet another MadMac'er budges in and says:

"Thank LEADER that we're not running WINDOZE otherwise you'll be running into BSODs and OMG.........REGISTRY AND DLL PROBLEMS LOLLZ!!"

Then all of them together says:

"LEADER"

....crazy ass sonafabitches.....

I wanna meet the man who decided what would be stored in PRAM. I mean, that's like having to reset the CMOS on a PC to make a program stop crashing :p

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
Believe it or not, it actually used to help a bit when trying to fix 'error type 11' bombs on OS 9. Some software settings are stored in PRAM as well so resetting that cleared out corrupt data which may crash applications. Really stupid IMHO. LOLLz!!

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
I never had to reset the PRAM on an OS 9 machine. Hell, I still boot OS 9 sometimes, as my G4 boots 3 different OS's. I don't like OS 9 anymore, but I have a UMAX SCSI scanner that I still use that only works under OS 9. I'm too cheap to go out and by a 3 in 1 printer. ;)

Resetting the PRAM in OS X isn't necessary anymore. IMO, it's very easy to troubleshoot problems in OS X. But of course, I hardly have any problems. ;)

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Believe it or not, it actually used to help a bit when trying to fix 'error type 11' bombs on OS 9. Some software settings are stored in PRAM as well so resetting that cleared out corrupt data which may crash applications. Really stupid IMHO. LOLLz!!

Yep. It's totally freaking retarded that it's done that way. But it's reality. A reality that I wish I could bash someone's face in for.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004

Yep. It's totally freaking retarded that it's done that way. But it's reality. A reality that I wish I could bash someone's face in for.

Yes, it is retarded. OS 9 was a stupid OS. But I still use it when I need to. Luckily for most people now, resetting the PRAM is no longer necessary under OS X.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
I never had to reset the PRAM on an OS 9 machine. Hell, I still boot OS 9 sometimes, as my G4 boots 3 different OS's. I don't like OS 9 anymore, but I have a UMAX SCSI scanner that I still use that only works under OS 9. I'm too cheap to go out and by a 3 in 1 printer. ;)

Resetting the PRAM in OS X isn't necessary anymore. IMO, it's very easy to troubleshoot problems in OS X. But of course, I hardly have any problems. ;)

Yeah, because application data is stored in the PROPER F'ING LOCATION (ON DISK!) in OSX.

Frankly, I wish I had a video camera, I'd share with you guys the payback that I routinely give macs for the wrongs against decency that they've made. I've employed... Explosives. Guns. Axes. Sledgehammers. A 10-ton truck... And numerous other tools in the destruction of dozens of macs for their crimes.

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Haha.

I had one Powermac 9600 running at 445mhz with 256mb of RAM. I hated it. :) It was SLOW AS HELL loading up web pages. I couldn't believe how slow it was. And that 50mhz FSB just made things worse. I hated how it crashed just watching quicktime movies, even with the memory allocated and everything. OS 9 usually crashed watching quicktime movies though. Not sure why, but it did. It even happens with my G4. Anyways, the 9600 would sometimes crash just by listening to a CD. I immediatly put that stupid thing in my closet.

I upgraded to a Powermac G4 400mhz, and couldn't be happier. But I am going to get rid of this G4 so I can get a dual processor G5. I'm tired of living in the stoneage. :)

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
I've had frustrating times crashing MacOS just by opening a freakin FOLDER after a fresh reboot.

..reboot..

..post..

..BUS ERROR (freeze)..

..reboot..

..post..

..finally boots to Finder..

..double click folder or Macintosh HD..

..BOMB ERROR TYPE 11 (or 6 or whatever random number it spits out)

GAHHH!!!!!!! GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!