A short story of my video failure.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
This just couldn't go to plan. It was an impossibility.

I have a friend who was getting married this past weekend; he asked a friend and me to do photos and video for the event. The other photographer is a very good photographer with a non-video centric camera ( D7100 ). I am a decent hobby photographer with good to very good video cameras ( G85 and Z6 ).

I offered to do the video, thinking my gear would be the better choice. (Yes, the gear was better... but it isn't always about the gear.)

I have never done video before, but figured I'd wing it. I mean, people post beautiful videos from their iPhones... how hard can this be.

I did some very basic tests at home the week before, verifying I could at least trust focusing. I watched a youtube video - what else could there be?

The one thing I did right was set up the G85 on a tripod, slightly behind where the main vows would take place. I also smartly placed my Rhode (super basic) external mic on that camera. With my 32GB card, it captured 42 minutes of 4k video. The wedding lasted 39 minutes. Phew.
So, I do have a safe... if static... video 'in the bag.'

Where I went wrong... horribly wrong... was with the Z6.
The Z6 has normal IS/VR plus "extra VR" which applies a small crop to the video. I turned on the "extra VR" at the start of the ceremony, having never used it before... because I figured "i'll be extra safe." I think that caused some weird jitters to the video on pan.

The much much larger issue I had was: I shot with my 70-200 f/4 most of the ceremony. And I shot at > 150mm a lot.
The thing you don't notice when shooting long lenses for photography is how much you move around - because you get the 1/500th of a second shot and it looks fine. But in video... dear god. The Z6 has nice VR built into the body. The 70-200 f/4 has nice VR as well. But they did not work, even on a monopod, at 200mm. The footage is a jumpy mess.

My only hope now is to use the main footage from the G85 and splice in (very short) segments from the Nikon that might be steady long enough to give a different perspective.

If I had to do this again, I would have kept all my shots wide ( < 50 mm ).
Not sure the monopod helped much - maybe at wider focal lengths it would have. I know the steady-glide cam type peripherals can help - but I'm also not sure how they would help with zoomed lenses.

TLDR;
Newbie videographer uses telephoto zoom to do video and learns that's a bad idea without better stabilization techniques.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Yikes. While it might be that your focal length + movement introduced too much shaking there are a couple things you might want to check that I have encountered:

Did you have your shutter speed set to at least double your FPS? Panning, especially when your shutter speed is too low compared to your FPS, is a recipe for judder city.

When I first got a camera, I remember taking it out to do video and wondering why is it so dang juddery and weird?? First issue was the video player couldn't handle the stream, next issue was that I had too low of a shutter speed and I panned too fast.

There are calculators that can show you how fast to pan depending on focal length and the amount of degrees you're going to pan: http://frontside.de/dls/pan.htm and https://www.red.com/panning-speed

Shutter speed, FPS video:

Reactions: CuriousMike

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
yeah man, photos are ridiculously easy compared to videos. people like me who do videos are truly dedicated to our art form.
when we charge $3000+ for a wedding video, people only seeing us working $3000 for 8 hours. what they dont see is the tech investment such as stabilizers. they dont see the prep work the day before the event, making sure we have everything + backups. and they definitely dont see the 30+hours we spent editing.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I was aware of the 2x record FPS - so, I shot at 1/60 for indoors and put on a filter when outdoors to keep at 1/60.

The level of shake is I created is ... embarrassing.

Because I did this for free, I didn't want to invest in more hardware (steady-cam type things), but I have bought 'Premiere Elements' so I have something to work with.

I talked with another friend and he said I should consider delivering in 1080p, and using the 4k source as a way to help with the crazy shake. Some of the shake is so bad I don't know if it'll help.

I'll post samples in the next week.

Thanks all for your input so far.

Reactions: gradoman

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
Yikes that sucks to hear. Its almost as bad as me loosing 3-4 years of digital photos. Now I have backups of backups.