A Short Review - VeganToona

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Posted about getting this in the nef thread. Thought someone might want to know wth vegan toona(LoL!) is about

uR66PZ.jpg

Ingredients...

NpkMVU.jpg

Looks like dog food...

99SFS4.jpg

Om nom nom!

TOUC1z.jpg

Mushy and oily, without any decent texture. A perfect compliment to the lack of flavor :^D It's edible, but if I were in a bomb shelter with only cases of VeganToona, I think I'd kill myself. I'm not sure what you'd do with it. A "tuna salad" would taste like crap, and I don't know if you can cook with it. Hot sauce would help, as it does most things, but at $3.50 a can, I can find better carriers for hot sauce.

Do Not Recommend!

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Where did you buy it?

Even with the "do not recommend" I may end up trying it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
i'd rather eat bull penis.

I might agree with you :^D

Where did you buy it?

Even with the "do not recommend" I may end up trying it.
I got it from Wegmans. Been seeing it awhile, and had to try it. I'm a big fan of canned fish, but this isn't even close. For the record, I'm sympathetic to vegetarian food, and like a lot of it, but this has no reason to exist. I could probably knock something together with beans that's more useful.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I like vegetarian quite often myself but I never understood the desire for companies making the faux-meat counterparts.

Product-Smart-Deli-Bologna%20%281%29.png
images
Product-Tofu-Pups.png

Vegetarian tuna? Ha ha!
Sorry but it looks like bad tuna cat food. And that's saying something.

edit:
Thanks for the review. It saves me from trying it if I ever ran across it.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
ugh. looks like the sort of thing you see stacked by the dozens in the 'heavily discounted' cart at the supermarket

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I like vegetarian quite often myself but I never understood the desire for companies making the faux-meat counterparts.

They are good for people transitioning to a vegetarian/vegan diet, and it's also an easy option for anyone hosting an event (e.g. labor day weekend BBQ) who wants an analogous option without having to do a lot of research or learn new recipes. It's very easy for someone who has vegetarian friends coming over to just get a pack of faux meat hot dogs at the same time as a pack of regular hot dogs rather than an entirely different meal or dish.

I occasionally (a few times a year, at most) buy some of the burgers or hot dogs made out of tempeh, beans, tofu, etc and quite a few brands are pretty good. Do any of them taste exactly like meat? No. And I don't need the meat analogues, but sometimes just grocery shopping I'll see an item on sale and pick one up.

I don't think anyone's made a good fish analogue, though. Not that I've tried many.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I occasionally (a few times a year, at most) buy some of the burgers or hot dogs made out of tempeh, beans, tofu, etc and quite a few brands are pretty good. Do any of them taste exactly like meat? No. And I don't need the meat analogues, but sometimes just grocery shopping I'll see an item on sale and pick one up.

I don't think anyone's made a good fish analogue, though. Not that I've tried many.
Veggie burgers are great. Not so great if you're replacing beef, but taking it on its own terms; very tasty. IOW, it needs to be treated as a distinct item; like grilled cheese to cheeseburger. You wouldn't substitute those, and veggie burger shouldn't be considered an analog of hamburger.

I think the toona is first ersatz meat I've had. I've always found the idea a little sketchy. I'd rather just have honest vegetarian food that isn't trying to be something else.

Btw, DollarTree has been getting potato based veggie burgers that are made in India. Two patties in a box for $1, and they're quite good. They tend to absorb oil when frying, but you can taste the India in them. Mildly spiced, but distinct from the American made brands.