A serious thread about a big life decision

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Hi all,

As you all know, I've been trying to move to Boston. I went on two job interviews: one in Boston, and one here in Jersey. The job in Jersey originally offered about the amount of money the job in Boston was offering.. they actually offered about 10% more, but it wasn't enough for me to even think about it.

I officially turned down the job in Jersey yesterday and *shockingly* I am accepting the Boston job today.

But this morning, the New Jersey job called me to offer me yet again another increase, which would bring the total amount of money to 24.73% more if I took this job in Jersey.

The Jersey job is a stable one: Great benefits, company has been around for 20+ years, larger, PPO health care, etc.

The Boston job is a start up: Not so good benefits (blue cross HMO), company around for less than a year, less money - the only benefit is a nice chunk of stock, which could be worth nothing in the end.

My heart is saying I want to live in Boston, and I'll regret it if I don't. My mind and everyone else who knows me is telling me to take the already 15% pay raise from my current job PLUS the 24.73% increase staying in Jersey would give me and remain in New Jersey.

What do you all think? Please be honest. I've never been in this situation before....

-Matt

Move where ever you want. Just don't get an internet connection.
AnandTech Senior Moderator: oldsmoboat

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Honestly, I think you could be just as happy if not more in Jersey making 15% + 24.73% more than you are right now. Besides I hear Boston is expen$ive!

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Boston is very expensive. I'd say stay in Jersey... it'll be nice to have money-- and you can always vacation in Boston!

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Honestly, I think you could be just as happy if not more in Jersey making 15% + 24.73% more than you are right now. Besides I hear Boston is expen$ive!

YGPM

Thanks for the serious response

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Like I said before, we don't take kindly to you folk here, leave NJ.

Seriously though, Boston living expenses will be A LOT more. Will you be able to afford it?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Like I said before, we don't take kindly to you folk here, leave NJ.

Seriously though, Boston living expenses will be A LOT more. Will you be able to afford it?

Yes.

Both jobs are decent money for someone who is 23 years old.

And in Boston, I'll be living on the T, so no car expenses needed. And my rent will be $600 (a deal I worked out with a friend) vs. the around $1300 I pay now in Jersey.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I have not heard good things about living in Boston. Everyone I know who moved there hated it.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I'd follow my heart if you're paid enough so you won't be living off ramen. Go where you want, get some good experience. You can get another job later that is in Boston and pays you more. You're young, and it's easy to move around now. The longer you stay in one place and the older you get, the harder it is to move. If you ultimately want to go to Boston, go.

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
2 options:

1. Fresh start in Boston (challenging, adventurous, and so on) and get rid of what you don't currently like in your life.

2. More of the same in NJ, with just a little more money. Challenge = 0. You will be able to call you doctor at home though.

What's your pick ?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
The job in Jersey is already looking for your replacement. They are going to pay you a little more so you can train your replacement, then kick your ass out the door. You already made your decision, there is no going back.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Boston. I am assuming your young, do what you think will make you happiest. There is plenty enough time to make money.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Please move somewhere that you'll most likely have a chance to create a lasting and devoted friendship. This will hopefully give you a chance to actually ask someone remotely qualified to answer "Life Changing Questions" as you come up with them rather then complete freaking strangers on the internet that you have never met and talked with only through a forum and given them 3 paragraph of a situation for them to choose the only two options you have given them yet there is probably more to the story then you have noted so why in the heck would you let random people sway you this is a runon sentence and you aren't very smart for doing this get some friends is what i'm trying to say bye.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
as someone who left big corporations to work in startups for 8 years my advice is to stick with big corporations.

however, you are young and can make back anything you would have lost by working at a startup. it will just take longer to retire and the people you knew at the big corporations will be much higher up than you.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: tfinch2
The job in Jersey is already looking for your replacement. They are going to pay you a little more so you can train your replacement, then kick your ass out the door. You already made your decision, there is no going back.

This wasn't a counter - this is a new job!

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Boston is seriously not all it's cracked up to be, I'm not sure why you have your heart set on moving there. Depending on where you are, Jersey can be a really nice place to live. If you're close to NYC then you've got Boston x 10 right there only a 40 minute drive away, without dealing with all the Massholes that inhabit Boston.

More Money
+ Better Benefits
+ Job Security
+ Better location
=Slam dunk for Jersey