A self stats idea I've been having

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
So, I've been thinking, and that's a dangerous thing, about a self stats type deal to make figuring out PPD and PPH type deals easier.

It would have to be set up in the following fasion, at least the way I can think about it. You have clients and you have a server machine. The clients will simply peek into the unitinfo.txt to figure out what the machine is up to. It'll then parse out the WU it's working on, to figure out how many points it's worth. It'll check every couple hours to see what progress has been made, and use that to figure out PPD and PPH type calculations.

It'll output these things into a statsinfo.txt or some such, that the server would check on with it's registered clients over the network. So when you initially set it up, you'll have to know the machine name, and the exact directory that it would be stored on, because I don't know of a better way to set up something like that with my programming knowledge.

The only problem would be making it cross platform(use java), and getting the pauses between runs to take that long without eating up the resources that we want to use to crunch. Or simply make one deal that'll keep track of all of that on it's own without using the client programs.

I'm just keen on the idea because it would make it easier to check up on the progress my machines are making in my little farm. Especially now that I've got 5 machines active again, and 6 whenever I get my gaming rig back up.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
There are a few programs already to give you PPD for each client. Not sure if any give you PPH.
Or do you want combined PPD for all your comps?

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: CupCak3
its quite late for me but do you mean something like these?

FAHlogstats
Electron Microscope

:beer:

Those look to be like what I was thinking of. But the documentation on them seems to be somewhat lacking. I'm running the majority of my clients on Ubuntu or Xubuntu(4 of the 5 currently up), and from my initial look at those it seems to be for Windows only.

I'll be doin some :beer:ing tomorrow night :) got classes in the early AM unfortunately.

edit: My reading comprehension is failing me. It looks like the Electron Microscope is exactly what I was thinking of.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
EM is a nice program. I started out using F@HLogstats but switched after it it wouldn't work for some WUs. I guess you can edit in manually the ones it doesn't read.
EM worked on all WUs after i started using it.