A scholar identifies an alarming trend among US men.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So let's say there are no inherently evil qualities in humans, even though millenia of history show us this is completely not the case. But let's work with your theory. It's all about levels of self-hate.

What does it matter where the evil comes from then if they are going to completely oppress peoples and governments? At what point does self-hate that leads to horrific actions, thoughts, ideals and support of evil actions actually become evil? Was Hitler just a misunderstood painter to you? You could be being tortured by the future GQP gestapo and trying to talk to them about sufis and their internal pain while they get ready for that final lethal shock of electricity to kill you after having murdered your family, all while laughing at you. And you'd still be oblivious.

I don't care where it comes from, it's evil.

I hear in your world concern that without your hatred of evil you would vulnerable to terrible things, things that you project would be my fate because of what I believe. I thank you for that concern. I certainly wouldn't want that happening to you. It is a fact that people you call evil are dangerous because they can act out their insanity, their belief that other people are not only evil but should be made to pay for that fact. But my thinking runs more along the lines that people have been programmed to conform to whatever morality they happen to grow up surrounded by and because our culture is sick they are infected by that sickness. But I also believe that people can overcome their programming just as people who undergo psychotherapy can gain self understanding that changes how they feel.

So when you say you don't care where evil comes from you place an obstacle to your own self-understanding. That's no skin off my nose but it think the only person it really hurts is yourself. I think that is unfortunate.

So let me suggest something else. Do you believe that animals are capable of the evil you see in human beings? If not why not and if so why so?

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I hear in your world concern that without your hatred of evil you would vulnerable to terrible things, things that you project would be my fate because of what I believe. I thank you for that concern. I certainly wouldn't want that happening to you. It is a fact that people you call evil are dangerous because they can act out their insanity, their belief that other people are not only evil but should be made to pay for that fact. But my thinking runs more along the lines that people have been programmed to conform to whatever morality they happen to grow up surrounded by and because our culture is sick they are infected by that sickness. But I also believe that people can overcome their programming just as people who undergo psychotherapy can gain self understanding that changes how they feel.

So when you say you don't care where evil comes from you place an obstacle to your own self-understanding. That's no skin off my nose but it think the only person it really hurts is yourself. I think that is unfortunate.

So let me suggest something else. Do you believe that animals are capable of the evil you see in human beings? If not why not and if so why so?

So you haven't read a decent history book in your life, or you have but have absorbed none of it. Do you think if I was a Jew in Germany in the 40's I would have been stupid to feel vulnerable, or as a black man in America in the past? What about as a Chinese national during Mao's reign of terror, or an Italian under Mussolini? And I can literally give tens of thousands of examples on all levels from genocide to mere horrific oppression and authoritarianism. Do you think that just can't happen in the US because why?

You have built a wall in your mind between your perceptions of good behavior vs the reality of the millenia of human existence. I find that sad.

And no, I do not compare dogs to humans. But good luck with that.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I thought it was common knowledge that girls start to eclipse boys’ academically somewhere between middle school and high school. Might be good to hold boys out a year and have them make things/build with their hands or solve real world problems.

Mar 11, 2004
I don’t know if I’d chalk Moonie up as a RWNJ. However, he has certainly shown his ego is still in full force, and he’s got some emotional attachment to firearms. There’s some similarities, but I don’t take Moonie as a storming the castle for trump kinda person

Its a sliding scale to there and we're seeing the exact same behavior from him that we saw from multiple other people on this forum alone (and that echoes what has been seen in the rest of society). I never said that so I'm not sure why you brought that up? But I would agree I doubt he'd partake in organized chaos like that.

I don't take him as a Turmper, but he's clearly fallen under the spell of Jordan Peterson, and his defense of fascist ideology is basically the same path that Turmpers took.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I suppose you think the inane state of your negative hopelessness is. But then why would any self hater have any reason for hope. Are you aware that your world view is deeply sad? Perhaps it is you who is having the temper tantrum. Perhaps you are secretly hanging on, refusing to accept your own realization. A tiger above and a tiger below and you still hanging on, furious over your fate.
I can see it was a waste of time to re-engage. I'll just leave you to whatever you think this is.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So you haven't read a decent history book in your life, or you have but have absorbed none of it. Do you think if I was a Jew in Germany in the 40's I would have been stupid to feel vulnerable, or as a black man in America in the past? What about as a Chinese national during Mao's reign of terror, or an Italian under Mussolini? And I can literally give tens of thousands of examples on all levels from genocide to mere horrific oppression and authoritarianism. Do you think that just can't happen in the US because why?

You have built a wall in your mind between your perceptions of good behavior vs the reality of the millenia of human existence. I find that sad.

And no, I do not compare dogs to humans. But good luck with that.
It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of the fact that you will brook no analysis of your beliefs. But you seem to suggest but only dismissively, that humans can be evil but dog's can't. Surely some dogs are just born evil and have to be put down. Millennia of humans being bitten by dogs has to proves that. They only bite people, of course, because we deserve it. it's what should happen to people who are guilty of sin.

Meanwhile all those Nazis you worry about believed just like you, that the people they murdered deserved to die because they were evil. The only problem was they weren't the ones who kill others out of what they believe evil to be. They knew who was really evil because of their false belief. You are certain just like the Nazis were so what is the difference.

There is a third way, beyond belief or doubt. It's the knowing that comes from being real, presence in the now where love is awake. No belief, no doubt.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I thought it was common knowledge that girls start to eclipse boys’ academically somewhere between middle school and high school. Might be good to hold boys out a year and have them make things/build with their hands or solve real world problems.
So right around the time they start masturbating.
I thought everyone knew that boy's don't have enough blood supply to run a brain and a dick. The choice is obvious.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I can see it was a waste of time to re-engage. I'll just leave you to whatever you think this is.

By waste of your time, of course, you mean that I fit with your sense of hopelessness, that the fools of the world are hopelessly lost in a state of love for their own misery and that nothing the poor, weak, effete, helpless, long-suffering, rage-filled dank has any power to alter. And you think I don't know that state of helplessness myself.

Crawl back into your hole and die. You can't handle the truth, that yes, there is nothing one can do about anybody else. But I am not you. I don't rage against the dying light. I have accepted things as they are.

And how are things you won't ask. Peachy indeed. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and that light is me. I defeated the Nothing. I won and I have everything to give. The only light switch in the world you can flip is the one that is hidden within you.

I know that if a nobody like me can flip that switch so can you. And that switch is simply attitude. What is wrong with the world is the way that you see it, the feelings about it that you don't see that you have, that there is nothing wrong out there, that the problem exists in here.

There is no where to go, nothing to do, nothing to fix. There is only the truth that everything is perfect as it is. You can make no one see that but you can see it for yourself.

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Now that is out of the way, I personally find some sense to be had in the notion presented in the OP that Democrats shy away from addressing men's issues directly by mentioning them specifically as issues men face disproportionately gender wise because of fear that such mentioning might scare away some women voters and that such a failure misses a potential opportunity to increase party representation among men. Why you feel compelled to cast shade on the notion and on me in this thread I can attribute only to your personal frustration and rage. You wanted to bet me that Democrats aren't missing an opportunity that it's all the Republican's fault. Well, you yourself tell me they are hopeless so that means that any hope will fall to liberals and when some suggestion is made that we look at ourselves, out comes the blame game. Oh my God, poor me it's somebody else's fault. "That mean old Moonbeam is trying to shift the blame onto me. He's a closet Republican and blah blah blah."

You think you are disdainful angry and truthfully rude and perhaps you think I know not that state. I think the opposite much more likely. I have been to the end of rage and I know what lies there. I know what happens when you really let go. Love you. See you over the rainbow.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So right around the time they start masturbating.
I thought everyone knew that boy's don't have enough blood supply to run a brain and a dick. The choice is obvious.
Just out of passing curiosity and nothing more, how would you explain someone like darkswordsman17 who seems to have mastered the art of both as a professional dickhead?

• Haha

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I guess this has to do with the times we are in, unfortunately It used to be that boys would excel in school while girls lagged behind. Im not sure if or when that changed.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of the fact that you will brook no analysis of your beliefs. But you seem to suggest but only dismissively, that humans can be evil but dog's can't. Surely some dogs are just born evil and have to be put down. Millennia of humans being bitten by dogs has to proves that. They only bite people, of course, because we deserve it. it's what should happen to people who are guilty of sin.

Meanwhile all those Nazis you worry about believed just like you, that the people they murdered deserved to die because they were evil. The only problem was they weren't the ones who kill others out of what they believe evil to be. They knew who was really evil because of their false belief. You are certain just like the Nazis were so what is the difference.

There is a third way, beyond belief or doubt. It's the knowing that comes from being real, presence in the now where love is awake. No belief, no doubt.

Where did I ever say I think they should all die implying violence? I have never proposed violence ever. Please quote me on that. Good luck. What I continue to say is people need to recognize evil and be prepared, not ignorant and unprepared where they think nazis are just exhibiting a perception of bad behavior, or that they 'really can't believe most of what they say' like others do here. That's how evil wins, because people choose to believe ignorance that they really can't be that bad - next thing you know you are looking at fascists or authoritarians goose stepping past your house - and again, millenia of human history and tens of thousands of examples exist to prove them very very very wrong. Do you want me to list more and more atrocities committed by millions of humans in the last 1000 years? I'll skip the thousands and thousands of years before that.

No you can't compare a dog's behavior to that of a human. You can't possibly really think that can you? Wait really? Why don't you try asking the dogs?

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Where did I ever say I think they should all die implying violence? I have never proposed violence ever. Please quote me on that. Good luck. What I continue to say is people need to recognize evil and be prepared, not ignorant and unprepared where they think nazis are just exhibiting a perception of bad behavior, or that they 'really can't believe most of what they say' like others do here. That's how evil wins, because people choose to believe ignorance that they really can't be that bad - next thing you know you are looking at fascists or authoritarians goose stepping past your house - and again, millenia of human history and tens of thousands of examples exist to prove them very very very wrong. Do you want me to list more and more atrocities committed by millions of humans in the last 1000 years? I'll skip the thousands and thousands of years before that.

No you can't compare a dog's behavior to that of a human. You can't possibly really think that can you? Wait really? Why don't you try asking the dogs?
I asked if you thought animals can be evil. I don't see where I was implying any comparison to humans. Perhaps if you don't believe they can be evil it will be because of some comparison you would like to make.

If I were to have been asked that question my answer would be no, animals can't be evil because animals don't believe that evil exists. They are simple whole in their animal being expressing each according to its animal nature. You might even say they are quite pure, as far from evil as can be.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I asked if you thought animals can be evil. I don't see where I was implying any comparison to humans. Perhaps if you don't believe they can be evil it will be because of some comparison you would like to make.

If I were to have been asked that question my answer would be no, animals can't be evil because animals don't believe that evil exists. They are simple whole in their animal being expressing each according to its animal nature. You might even say they are quite pure, as far from evil as can be.
So why do you have a gun and are very pro gun rights? If everything is just a perception of bad behavior and there are no really bad people then what's the point of having a gun?

• Love

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
So why do you have a gun and are very pro gun rights? If everything is just a perception of bad behavior and there are no really bad people then what's the point of having a gun?
We’ll, you don’t also know, it’s not just good and evil that don’t exist. It is all dualities. This in India I believe is referred to as the delusion of Maya. I looked on A search engine for some help explaining it.

There is all over the world in many traditions that treat on the mystical experience of awakening that are deep and profound. There are schools of knowledge. I just had a instant moment of insight that ended a state of suffering I was experiencing. It freed me from attachments to assumptions I had not previously noticed I was making. In India something the feels familiar but profound beyond what I came upon with some help from reading about Zen and obviously in Zen tradition too, the depth and breath of experience about the subject dwarfs mine and the cultural in which these expressions manifest are foreign to me. Take what you can and will from the link. The ideas, the jargon, the traditional religious basis are way beyond me. All I know is that I experience a glimpse of something that link seems at root to be talking about.

So back to guns. They are like a tree. Once two monks were walking in the forest and one explained to the other that what we call reality does not exist. It is a delusion. We will say that monk 1 explained that fact to monk 2. Not too long later a water buffalo appeared coming down the trail they were on. Monk 1 quickly ran up a tree and Monk 2 still pondering the implications that all is delusion, got himself trampled over.

Laying broken on the ground ha said to Monk 1, I thought you said everything is a delusion, why did you run up the tree. Monk one answered, “My running up the tree was a delusion too.”

As I told you evil exists only when others believe it does and that’s just about everybody. You don’t want to die at the hands of delusional people and I don’t live if a forest of trees.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
We’ll, you don’t also know, it’s not just good and evil that don’t exist. It is all dualities. This in India I believe is referred to as the delusion of Maya. I looked on A search engine for some help explaining it.

There is all over the world in many traditions that treat on the mystical experience of awakening that are deep and profound. There are schools of knowledge. I just had a instant moment of insight that ended a state of suffering I was experiencing. It freed me from attachments to assumptions I had not previously noticed I was making. In India something the feels familiar but profound beyond what I came upon with some help from reading about Zen and obviously in Zen tradition too, the depth and breath of experience about the subject dwarfs mine and the cultural in which these expressions manifest are foreign to me. Take what you can and will from the link. The ideas, the jargon, the traditional religious basis are way beyond me. All I know is that I experience a glimpse of something that link seems at root to be talking about.

So back to guns. They are like a tree. Once two monks were walking in the forest and one explained to the other that what we call reality does not exist. It is a delusion. We will say that monk 1 explained that fact to monk 2. Not too long later a water buffalo appeared coming down the trail they were on. Monk 1 quickly ran up a tree and Monk 2 still pondering the implications that all is delusion, got himself trampled over.

Laying broken on the ground ha said to Monk 1, I thought you said everything is a delusion, why did you run up the tree. Monk one answered, “My running up the tree was a delusion too.”

As I told you evil exists only when others believe it does and that’s just about everybody. You don’t want to die at the hands of delusional people and I don’t live if a forest of trees.

Well the monk monastery where I studied the story goes more like this.

Once two Jewish monks were walking in the forest with their yarmulkes on and one explained to the other that fascist oppression is a reality that does not exist. It is a delusion. So Monk 1 explained that to Monk 2. Not too much later a neo-Nazi appeared coming down the trail, so Monk 2 ran up the tree and Monk 1 greeted the neo-Nazi 'hey brother, how goes your day'. The neo-Nazi shot Monk 1 and went along his way. As Monk 1 lay there dying Monk 2 came down and said to Monk 1, how does your delusion feel now?

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well the monk monastery where I studied the story goes more like this.

Once two Jewish monks were walking in the forest with their yarmulkes on and one explained to the other that fascist oppression is a reality that does not exist. It is a delusion. So Monk 1 explained that to Monk 2. Not too much later a neo-Nazi appeared coming down the trail, so Monk 2 ran up the tree and Monk 1 greeted the neo-Nazi 'hey brother, how goes your day'. The neo-Nazi shot Monk 1 and went along his way. As Monk 1 lay there dying Monk 2 came down and said to Monk 1, how does your delusion feel now?
I threw these two monk stories by a few people and I think my version really struck home more than the other one.

Sometimes you just need better monks.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
You are ignoring a crucial point. There aren't only two suicide options, guns and hanging. And as I already showed, women usually choose the less immediately painful far more than men, that includes hanging, and as far as guns they are not nearly as avid as men when it comes to owning guns. So no, you can't just consider hanging and suicide by gun because that is dishonest.

This is the article you posted:

The author either made a mistake or had an ax to grind, since this is not accurate:

"This finding is important, since suicide attempts by firearm result in death in nearly 90% of cases. With other suicide methods such as overdose, suffocation/hanging, and self-piercing/burning, death is the result in less than 10% of these cases."

The research based on US stats they linked to supports what I said about hanging/aphyxiation/strangulation CFR.

"firearms and hanging accounted for only 8.8% of acts but 75.3% of deaths. Firearms were the most lethal method (89.6% of suicidal acts with a firearm resulted in death), followed by drowning (56.4%) and hanging (52.7%). Method-specific CFRs were higher for males and older persons. The distribution of methods varied across demographic groups. "

Hanging is not messy? Is that what you are saying here to be clear?

It was just an aside as their survey wasn't what I was pointing out to you, but regarding that I'm saying the two findings are not surprising (I'm sure people inquire about more interesting things in a basic stats methods course) or do you disagree with them?

You dismissed what I said about the background information (the authors referencing external sources), which had nothing to do with the survey. That usually happens if someone is allergic to facts.

The funny thing about this critique is that a lot of the SJW positions you agree with are based on really, really pathetic studies.

Did you know that kids growing up in poverty hear 30 million fewer words by age 3? Chances are, if you're the type of person who reads a newspaper or listens to NPR, you've heard that statistic before.

Since 1992, this finding has, with unusual power, shaped the way educators, parents and policymakers think about educating poor children.

But did you know that the number comes from just one study, begun almost 40 years ago, with just 42 families? That some people argue it contained a built-in racial bias? Or that others, including the authors of a new study that calls itself a "failed replication," say it's just wrong?

Imagine thinking the gulf is that massive between white and black families? Who's the real racist?;)

I never tried to use suicide stats to say this group has it harder or easier than any other. You are putting words in my mouth. That's on you making shit up in your head.
Generic you.

The student studying thing is irrelevant to this entire thread.
The OP and poster I was replying to mentions education. XD Another flailing attack on the substance of something else.

Men are not the gender that get paid less, that get passed over for advancement and opportunities in the workplace more often. Those are only issues in the workplace.

So you're just going to ignore what I said about Pew? Amusing btw seeing the railroad thread. XD

images

In 2019, full-time, year-round working women earned 82% of what their male counterparts earned, according to the Census Bureau’s most recent analysis.

Why does a gender pay gap still persist?

Much of this gap has been explained by measurable factors such as educational attainment, occupational segregation and work experience. The narrowing of the gap is attributable in large part to gains women have made in each of these dimensions.

• Haha

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

I dunno, orcas have been witnessed torturing and killing infant whales for no reason (leave without eating). They're kinda evil.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I dunno, orcas have been witnessed torturing and killing infant whales for no reason (leave without eating). They're kinda evil.
Sounds like you are implying a fact about all killer whales which would mean that they are all bad. How can you have evil orcs if there are no good ones? Sounds more to me like you are applying your own standards to a behavior that is observed that causes you distress. My bet is that the notion they are evil exists in your mind but not in theirs. I think so because if they had such notions surely some would try to stop and punish such behavior.

Evil is a concept. an idea, a product of thought. The capacity to think in the abstract requires a language of symbols to think in. The capacity to use language is hard wired into our brains but we have to be able to hear in order to speak. We can learn any language easily as children but later it's more difficult. For those who do not think there is no language going on in their heads. But for those who have ended the brain chattering to itself, if that is possible, would not consciousness in the now remain? To be free of thought is to be free of associations with pain that happened in the past, to be free of ego identification, the buffer we create to avoid emotional pain, the fear of remembering how we acquired a fear of being evil.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Sounds like you are implying a fact about all killer whales which would mean that they are all bad.
No I didn't, 'they' was meaning the orcas that committed the act. You assumed wrongly about me as per your usual.

At any rate, morality is subjective and the entire topic is navel-gazing anyway.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is the article you posted:

The author either made a mistake or had an ax to grind, since this is not accurate:

"This finding is important, since suicide attempts by firearm result in death in nearly 90% of cases. With other suicide methods such as overdose, suffocation/hanging, and self-piercing/burning, death is the result in less than 10% of these cases."

The research based on US stats they linked to supports what I said about hanging/aphyxiation/strangulation CFR.

"firearms and hanging accounted for only 8.8% of acts but 75.3% of deaths. Firearms were the most lethal method (89.6% of suicidal acts with a firearm resulted in death), followed by drowning (56.4%) and hanging (52.7%). Method-specific CFRs were higher for males and older persons. The distribution of methods varied across demographic groups. "

It was just an aside as their survey wasn't what I was pointing out to you, but regarding that I'm saying the two findings are not surprising (I'm sure people inquire about more interesting things in a basic stats methods course) or do you disagree with them?

You dismissed what I said about the background information (the authors referencing external sources), which had nothing to do with the survey. That usually happens if someone is allergic to facts.

The funny thing about this critique is that a lot of the SJW positions you agree with are based on really, really pathetic studies.

Did you know that kids growing up in poverty hear 30 million fewer words by age 3? Chances are, if you're the type of person who reads a newspaper or listens to NPR, you've heard that statistic before.

Since 1992, this finding has, with unusual power, shaped the way educators, parents and policymakers think about educating poor children.

But did you know that the number comes from just one study, begun almost 40 years ago, with just 42 families? That some people argue it contained a built-in racial bias? Or that others, including the authors of a new study that calls itself a "failed replication," say it's just wrong?

Imagine thinking the gulf is that massive between white and black families? Who's the real racist?;)

Generic you.

The OP and poster I was replying to mentions education. XD Another flailing attack on the substance of something else.

So you're just going to ignore what I said about Pew? Amusing btw seeing the railroad thread. XD

images

In 2019, full-time, year-round working women earned 82% of what their male counterparts earned, according to the Census Bureau’s most recent analysis.

Why does a gender pay gap still persist?

Much of this gap has been explained by measurable factors such as educational attainment, occupational segregation and work experience. The narrowing of the gap is attributable in large part to gains women have made in each of these dimensions.

Everything you say is dishonest as usual. I will simply point out one simple thing that encapsulates your entire way of 'debating' - where the hell did I mention any 30 million word gap study or anything, or even bring in poverty? Nowhere and didn't imply it either. In fact I even said that in no way I was implying one gender has it worse than the other, but I was clarifying your misleading comments. Again, you just make shit up in your wacked mind about what you are arguing against and make things up.

Bigly sad.