a rock cracked my windshield

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Be aware this is a very old thread.
admin allisolm

I was on the freeway and a Ford truck in front of me (no other cars near) kicked up a rock that cracked my windshield. The truck had no flaps on it's tires. I wrote down the license plate and time/place of incident. Is there anything I can do now to make them pay for the replacement? I already had this happen to my last car but didn't care that much because it was junky anyway, but now it happened to my brand new car! This rock madness must stop. Rocks hit my windshield almost daily it seems. So it's only a matter of time before yet another crack occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I really don't think there's anything you can do. Unless they were throwing rocks at you from the truck...

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
stop tailgating.
I heard if you file a report, you can get them to pay for it :). It might have been commercial trucks tho.

maybe you can take the person to small claims ?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: isekii
stop tailgating.
I heard if you file a report, you can get them to pay for it :)

you could be pretty far back and still get hit

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
I wasn't tailgating, I was actually quite far back from the truck, like 7 car lengths.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: rubix
No, it was just a regular persons truck.

Are we talking a work truck or just someone's pickup?

If it's some guy's pickup, don't be an ass. Fix it, maybe your insurance will cover it, but don't blame the guy, for god's sakes.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
It was a pick up and why I am an ass? How much does a windshield cost to replace?

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That sucks, and there's nothing you can do about those flying rocks. When it happened to me, my insurance company paid for it no questions asked.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: rubix
It was a pick up and why I am an ass? How much does a windshield cost to replace?

depends on the car.
what car do you drive ?
I'd say it'll cost you like $200ish on the average.
If you have those cars with the special light sensors, then it'll cost you a lot more.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
The owner of the truck has no liability for your windshield.

Simple debris in the road, not even actually visible to anyone driving at highway speeds, was hit by his vehicle and redirected towards yours.

Rock chips are part of owning a car....unless we somehow manage to outlaw rocks.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Sluggo

Simple debris in the road, not even actually visible to anyone driving at highway speeds, was hit by his vehicle and redirected towards yours.

Rock chips are part of owning a car....unless we somehow manage to outlaw rocks.

...I don't think so. If your vehicle is liable and likely to be kicking up lots of debris, and you do nothing to stop it knowing that it has a very good chance at damaging somebody else's property, I think you're required to put flaps on it.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox

...I don't think so. If your vehicle is liable and likely to be kicking up lots of debris, and you do nothing to stop it knowing that it has a very good chance at damaging somebody else's property, I think you're required to put flaps on it.

I have only seen mudflaps required on vehicles which had no fender, or wheelwell to contain stuff flying up from the tires. If the guy was driving an un-modified pick-up I dont think there is a liability on his part.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

so that guy should get some mudflaps

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
As far as I know there are regulations regarding securig the "load.". For exmaple, a dump truck must secure its load to prevent any of it from falling off the truck and hitting another vehicle. Now, if the truck "kicks" up a rock that was on the road, then he is not responible for that because that rock was not his "load." Debris, such as a rock, that is kicked up is the same as water being kicked up by big rigs when it rains; the truck isn't liable for the water being kicked up that was on the road. Flaps don't even help in this example with the rain; the water still kicks up.

You'll probably get the windshield covered by your insurance, however, going after the trucks insurance to pay for it will not likely happen, imo.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Do you have evidence that it was his truck that threw the rock at you? How could he be sure that you just didn't write down his license plate number just so you could go after someone. Just looking at it from the other guys prespective.

KK

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox

Phasm is right.

The guy who kicked up the rock is absoutly not liable at all for your windshield or even if it punched through your radiator or any other part of your car.
Mud flaps are not required equipment on any personal truck
What if it was YOU who kicked up the rock and cracked the windshield of a car behind you and some noob tried to make you pay for it, would you?

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
This is unfortunate, but legally you can't really do anything about it. Getting hit by rocks on the windshield is just a risk u have to associate with driving.