A riddle for you

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
A father and his son are driving along on the way back from a a camping trip in heavy fog and make a turn onto what they think is the road, but turns out to be traintracks. By some great misfortune a train is coming before they can get off the tracks and they are severely injured. Hours later they reach a hospital and are both rushed to the emergency room to be treated for their injuries. The man dies from internal bleeding and the boy is in need of major surgery to his heart and lungs. A surgeon comes in to treat the child and declares "I cannot perform the surgery, this is my son!"

How can this be true?

Once you get it don't reply with the answer please if you are one of the first posters, after that it's fair game. This is a very interesting riddle that bothered me when I had trouble figuring it out initially.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
woah, wait, I could have sworn I just saw a mod reply and now it's gone? :confused:

either way, easy.

edit: oops, you said don't reply with the answer :eek:

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I think the mod forgot that he was logged on with his moderator account and not the other one.

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
You are correct. It took me about 20 seconds to figure it out. Which is why I posted it. I don't consider myself sexist, but clearly my mind still thinks in sexist ways.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Brackis
Originally posted by: Howard
Two possible answers.

Speak
The father and son need not be related. A father is somebody who has had children, correct?

Now, if you had said "A father and his son" then there would be only one answer.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Two possible answers.

Speak

At least 3 possibilities!

1. You never said if the "son" was the son of the present "father." Therefore, he could be someone else's kid, leading to two subpossibilities:
. . - The surgeon could be his actual father
. . - The surgeon could be his actual mother
2. Assuming the "father" was the "son's" father, the surgeon could be his mother (probably the desired answer).
3. He could have been adopted, leading to FOUR new subpossibiliteis:
. . - The surgeon was his real mother
. . - The surgeon was his real father
. . - The surgeon was his adopted mother
. . - The surgeon was his adopted father

Ok, so 3 options, with a total of 7 possibilities.

Oh, and I'm guessing the other hints in the thread already give this away. Otherwise, spoiler alert! :)

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
So easy. Even the first time I heard it... and every variation of this same "riddle."

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492
Two possible answers.

Speak

At least 3 possibilities!

1. You never said if the "son" was the son of the present "father." Therefore, he could be someone else's kid, leading to two subpossibilities:
. . - The surgeon could be his actual father
. . - The surgeon could be his actual mother
2. Assuming the "father" was the "son's" father, the surgeon could be his mother (probably the desired answer).
3. He could have been adopted, leading to FOUR new subpossibiliteis:
. . - The surgeon was his real mother
. . - The surgeon was his real father
. . - The surgeon was his adopted mother
. . - The surgeon was his adopted father

Ok, so 3 options, with a total of 7 possibilities.

Oh, and I'm guessing the other hints in the thread already give this away. Otherwise, spoiler alert! :)

Good analysis :)