A restaurant overcharged me...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
I'm sorry but I despise being overcharged for anything. If I go to a restaraunt and order something with cheese and they don't put it on but still charge me for it, I'll go straight to the mgr. and get the ticket fixed. I refuse to pay for something I didn't get. I think the OP should first call the restaraunt and politely tell the mgr that when they totaled the bills that night someone accidentally overcharged you .12 and that you would like a chargeback for those $0.12. If the mgr is being an @$$ about it then call up your CC company and dispute the charge saying you have a receipt which proves what you authorized and they charged you more. The CC company will either A. refund you the $0.12 or B. Refurnd your entire $35.12. They will do neither if you haven't made any attempt at contacting the mgr though.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
its already been said, but that mite not be the final charge. there have been a few of these threads already complaining about being overcharged only to be correct later

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
do you really use that many minutes that it will "waste" them? they'd laugh at you if you call anyhow.

12 cents... i dunno, man... big deal there. :p

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
If you're going to do anything other than just let it go then I'd say just call the restaurant, your other option is just to be a dick basically IMO.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Alert the restaurant to what happened and then ignore it.

Or... if it was a chain, write a letter to the store manager, and cc corporate headquarters.

Then wait for free coupons. :)

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Have you ever heard of common sense?
A post about 12 cents. You are showing your true colors.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is there still a little * next to the payment on the CC statement, did this just happen?

This happens to me all the time, and after a few days when it's off of hold, and the * is gone, it's normal.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
<$1 let it go, who cares man

a co-worker once got charged an extra $8.00 when he forgot to fill in the total field, the "server" must have felt they deserved something for the plesent way she gave him his take out.

He called the place up and they gave him a $25 GC and refunded the original meal, so that gave him about 3 free meals.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
wow...12-cents...hmm...you left the tip field blank because math is that hard for you?

Are you retarded?

Seriously...I think you owe ME at least a quarter for wasting my time reading this moronic rant/ thread.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
1) It is just 12 cents. Don't fret over it. You are costing yourself tens if not hundreds of dollars of lost time and lost sanity over 12 measly cents. So many people forget the value of their time and or sanity in doing these tasks. Losing $100 to get back $0.12 is the definition of stupidity.

2) I don't think you can do a chargeback for the full $35.12. I think federal law states you could do a chargeback in snail-mail writing for $0.12. The cost of the stamp alone will be more than that. Again, that doesn't include the cost of your time or the materials/electricity to write that letter.

3) If you must be a stickler, call up the restaurant and DON'T demand the money back. Let them know of their mistake and hopefully it won't happen again. Be nice about it. Most likely the manager will mail you a large gift certificate. But don't be an ass and demand money. It is just twelve measly cents.

4) Realize that you need to write in the tip amount specifically, you need to keep your receipts, and that the amount that first shows up on your CC is not the final amount. I don't know if any of these apply to this case, but they are all important since I have a feeling that this will happen to you many times in your future, DaWhim.

5) Realize what a rude customer you were for leaving a tip of $4.88. Those waiters/waitresses must add up each tip to the penny on each day. Make their life (and your life) easier by just tipping in round dollar amounts. A tip of $4 or $5 would be so much kinder for them. Plus, you never have to do any difficult math.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
personally i would call the resturant and let them know what is going on. Let them know someone is overcharging people and that is against the law.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: chuckywang
You bought a meal for $35?? You're damn right the restaurant overcharged you, and that has nothing to do with your CC.

:disgust:

skrilla

Oct 22, 2004
#1 Let it go.

It is 12 cents.

It was probably a mistake made by someone who had to add in the tip when they adjusted the credit card.

Credit card orders have to be adjusted. Often times the machine will ask what the tip was instead of the written total. They probably glanced at the slip and figured out the tip because you were too lazy to write it in - and they got it wrong. If you had written in a specific tip and filled out the slip like you were supposed to, then by all means call them up.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zolty
<$1 let it go, who cares man

a co-worker once got charged an extra $8.00 when he forgot to fill in the total field, the "server" must have felt they deserved something for the plesent way she gave him his take out.

He called the place up and they gave him a $25 GC and refunded the original meal, so that gave him about 3 free meals.

had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. i took some friends out for lunch. the bill came to like $65 (not bad for 4 adults). anwyay the other couple said they would pay for the tip. they left the money in cash on the table.

we paid for the bill on the CC. my wife filled it out and in the tip line wrote ZERO. a few days latter my wife checked the online CC listing ot get the payoff. well it showed the amount from the Resturant (ruby tuesday BTW) for like $75 or so.

we called and complained. the guy said to come in for dinner and he would talk to us. We got a full dinner (bill came to $60 alone). the manager came over and asked if i wanted a beer (had 2) then pushed dessert on us etc.

he also gave us the overcharge back in cash. then a week latter we got $50 in gift card from the store.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If I was the restaurant manager and you called me about it, I'd make you come in for the refund and give you 12 of the most corroded pennies I could find you anal retentive niggardly cheapskate...

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
If I was the restaurant manager and you called me about it, I'd make you come in for the refund and give you 12 of the most corroded pennies I could find you anal retentive niggardly cheapskate...

i will not drive 700 miles round trip just to get 12 cents.

AndrewNF

Sep 1, 2001
Originally posted by: skrilla
#1 Let it go.

It is 12 cents.

It was probably a mistake made by someone who had to add in the tip when they adjusted the credit card.

Credit card orders have to be adjusted. Often times the machine will ask what the tip was instead of the written total. They probably glanced at the slip and figured out the tip because you were too lazy to write it in - and they got it wrong. If you had written in a specific tip and filled out the slip like you were supposed to, then by all means call them up.

Seconded.

Write in full dollar amounts for tips and you'll be doing everyone a favour.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
Originally posted by: Mwilding

i will not drive 700 miles round trip just to get 12 cents.

I'd hardly buy a stamp to mail it to you...