A Question for Those of You Working in IT

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I need some advice about how to get a decent IT job. I majored in Econ, graduated last Spring from NYU, and have utterly failed to get a job related to my major, so I've decided to most obvious route is to look into working with technology. My problem is being generally unqualified for even a help desk job from an employer's perspective.

In high school I built servers, desktop support and other IT stuff for a local firm, and have done independent jobs for people and small businesses. None of this amounts to much as near as I can tell, and I figured there might be someone on the board with some advice.

Should I look into getting myself certified MSCE/CCNA/something else like that?

Should I be looking into getting a Master's (this would obviously require bridge courses)?

Something else?

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Employers don't usually consider things you did in High School real experience... your best bet would be to do some diploma programs at the local community college, look into doing some volunteer/internships and hope for the best...

IT is a really crowded field right now, so you may want to reconsider before you fully commit yourself

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
What's with all these NYU Econ majors not being able to find jobs? Most of the people I know from NYU who did Econ ended up in something completely non related :p

What kinda IT jobs are you looking for? You might be able to get an entry level application support job somewhere, but you better be really good at what you say you did in high school. Check NYU's CareerNet for postings. Might want to brush up on some of the web based technologies so you can at least put something tech related on your resume.

If you really want to go into technology though, a Masters is probably the best bet. Maybe not from NYU, but check some of the other schools like Hunter or Baruch. (NYU's grad cs program is pretty good though)

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for your advice guys, I managed to get a couple interviews at good firms through some headhunters. Interviews aren't jobs, but it's a start.

As a side note, about the NYU Econ thing, my friends from Stern (the business school) have gotten very good jobs very quickly, whereas it's been a lot tougher for people like me that did Econ through the liberal arts college.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
IMO, IT sucks .. but it does pay the bills.

The best thing to do is search job sites like monster.com and make sure your resume is good. You'll want to emphasize your IT skills rather than your education since it is in an unrelated field. But don't completely ignore the value of a college degree. It's required where I work.

I'm currently in the process of getting out of IT. For me, it's extremely boring and unrewarding. But, like I said, it pays the bills.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: obeseotron
My problem is being generally unqualified for even a help desk job from an employer's perspective.

I'm confused. You seem to have a pulse and enough command of the Internet to post on a forum. That seems to be the standard for most call-centers. :p

- M4H

waitman

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
My problem is being generally unqualified for even a help desk job from an employer's perspective.

I'm confused. You seem to have a pulse and enough command of the Internet to post on a forum. That seems to be the standard for most call-centers. :p

- M4H

Yeah, and sometimes I wonder if some call center people even have enough command of the internet to post on a forum! :D

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
I need some advice about how to get a decent IT job. I majored in Econ, graduated last Spring from NYU, and have utterly failed to get a job related to my major, so I've decided to most obvious route is to look into working with technology. My problem is being generally unqualified for even a help desk job from an employer's perspective.

In high school I built servers, desktop support and other IT stuff for a local firm, and have done independent jobs for people and small businesses. None of this amounts to much as near as I can tell, and I figured there might be someone on the board with some advice.

Should I look into getting myself certified MSCE/CCNA/something else like that?

Should I be looking into getting a Master's (this would obviously require bridge courses)?

Something else?

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind starting on the helpdesk, your personality is going to get you farther than your tech skills. Good tech skills will be a HUGE bonus and will help you move upwards.

Helpdesk fields are growing, and the pay actually isn't that bad. It is boring, but it give you a good overview of the company, let's you communicate with almost all the employees, and make contacts.

My work just received some training grants, and I attended a helpdesk training course, even though it was a bit beneath me, and even they are acknowledging that people skills are key. You can train people technical skills, you can't teach people skills. (easily)

I'd make sure you note on your resume HEAVILY that you are a team player that can work with other people. If you have HS contacts or other people that you can use as a reference for distinguished examples of superior teamwork, people skills, or good communication, document the hell out of it!

A college degree and some tech background should be enough to get hired to an IT dept as a grunt tech or helpdesk. Prove you're not an asshole or an idiot and you should find something! :)

As far as certs, I wouldn't bother with an MCSE until you're hired somewhere. The market is BLOATED with MCSE's that have never used a server, or can even fix their own desktops. Getting an MCSE after getting a few years under your belt would be a good idea. You'll also get a taste of what you enjoy doing, and can specialize in that direction.