A Question for all you Smarty-Pants out there!

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
**THE FOLLOWING IS A MBA PROJECT FOR A CLOSE FRIEND**

Let's say you had some software that would act as some software that would/could act as a buffer for on-demand video SD/HD. This software was designed to dynamically adjust the size of data packets, the size of the buffer, and network connectivity speed to determine the best Q.O.S. for the user/client.

What, in your opinion, is the best way to make money with this technology? My proposal is to sell this type of tech (it has to be good, but this is all hypothetical so lets just say this is really really great software), and sell it to Comcast/Roadrunner/Cox as a better solution to whatever they're using. But I think this is too obvious. Where else could something like this be utilized?

Do you think NASA or someone in the private sector could utilize this (rememeber, this software is really really incredible -it's all hypothetical!) with video transmissions from space?

I'm curious what everyones suggestion will be.

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
I could see this being useful on the battle field, where a connection that doesn't fail, but rather reduces quality, is preferred to loss of communication.

Plus, everyone knows what the US Government will pay for things....

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Hrm, that's an interesting suggestion. Doesnt TCP/IP already do something like this with ACK packets being sent back a forth?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere has already invented something like this.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Have him look at TVUpayer which is an illegal modification of the open source VLC Media Player. it's P2P, and auto negotiates the video quality for the connection.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
License it to both hardware and software companies. Apple could have streaming HD over wifi on the iphone, Cisco could use it in their routers, netflix for movies, etc.

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: OS
I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere has already invented something like this.

See Orb.com, TVUPlayer, Windows Media Server, etc.

- M4H

Yep, Orb came to mind right away. Depending on the host computer's upstream, it scales the quality of the music/video/etc being streamed over the internet.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I think the only use for these technologies involve guaranteed service scenarios. Perhaps P2P communications in video games, that type of thing. Most consumers prefer to pick their bandwidth / video size rather than have it annoying downscale. Even on a TV show website I would get annoyed. Certainly on Tivo, xbox media center, etc. I do not want it to be variable bandwidth. I'd rather it pause until bandwidth is full capacity than show me downgraded video.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
RTSP protocol... Unfortunately you're not the first one to think of this. I'm sure that the media giants already have something like it.

Perhaps it could be used at hospitals somehow for remote surgical analysis.