A Question Concering the P5W DH and Conroe stock HSF

savvy

Nov 24, 1999
I have a P5W DH motherboard and a stock E6600 Conroe HSF. The guide I am using says to install the HSF right after the processor, but the Intel Conroe Manual says to install the processor, place the motherboard into the chassis, then install the stock HSF.

Which is better idea to do first? Or does it really not matter at all?

Thanks for your help. (This is my first build by the way.)

savvy

Nov 24, 1999
Since no one has responded, I will go with the Intel Manual.

Thank you for your help if you respond at a later time. I will continue with my build.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I suggest a bare bones boot up outside the case to be sure the board and memory are compatable. I would install the cpu/heatsink, memory, and video outside the case and power up to the first post. You can go into the bios and adjust it for your hardrives and other components or wait until you have the board installed in the case.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: o1die
I suggest a bare bones boot up outside the case to be sure the board and memory are compatable. I would install the cpu/heatsink, memory, and video outside the case and power up to the first post. You can go into the bios and adjust it for your hardrives and other components or wait until you have the board installed in the case.

That works. I always install the heatsink outside the case. It's just that much easier to work with when there isn't other things in the way.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Just like o1die and cmdrdredd said put outside the case boot up to make sure everything is ok then put in the case. Does you case have a removable motherboard tray