• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

A QUESTION ABOUT MUSCLE FATIGUE AND RECOVERY

GoldenGuppy

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
I am aware of the fact that after weight training, the muscles release lactid acid and decompose to build again to become stronger. This is often known as being sore. However, my question is directed towards the abdominals. I am aware that you are to rest your muscles when they are sore and not work out, but I also remember reading somewhere that you can work your abdominals everyday (don't know the specifics) but, my question is, does this mean that you can work them regardless of being sore in that area? Or should you treat them as you treat any other muscles and let it recover?

Thanks in advance.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
The abs have several different sections. You have lower, upper, and obliques. You can train each section on a different day or train all three sections the same day. My suggestion, train all three sections the same day and treat them like any other muscle. I would train them 4 times a week. Your ab muscles need rest like any other muscle group. Many people are under the impression that because they are fat in that area that if they train there more it will reduce that area quicker. Not true. You have to get the whole body in a fat burning mode and lose weight. There is no way to spot reduce fat in certain areas of the body. Be very careful not to over train the abs. If you strain an ab muscle you are in for a very tough time. It will affect your breathing and shut you down completely from lifting weights. Simple excersises will cause pain in your abs, because when you strain your mid section tends to absorb much of the strain because of your need to breathe while doing any kind of strenuous excersise. Hope this helps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY