A question about Gin Rummy

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
A simple question, maybe, but I can't find it in any of the rules. If there is only one card on the discard pile and a player takes that one, does the player have to use that card immediately? I think yes, but my father insists not.

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
I've never heard of that rule, unless it's some kind of variation. I believe your father is right.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
We were playing Radio Rummy, if that helps, but he was saying it is the rule for any variation.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I learned that any card you pick up from the discard pile (face up) you have to use at that moment.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Wag
I learned that any card you pick up from the discard pile (face up) you have to use at that moment.

That's always been my understanding.

Originally posted by: FrizQuadrata
Never heard of radio rummy, but the rules for gin rummy here and here don't mention it.

Those are two of the sites I checked.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
my experience w/ gin rummy is that if there are multiple cards in the discarded pile, and you want say, the King of diamonds which is the card 5 of a total of 10 cards in the discard pile, then you take that K of D AND all the cards after it and you have to use the K o D.

Thus, if there's only one card in the Discard pile, then you take that card, you have to use it right away.