A question about chicken

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
I know that little red spots are normal, but are huge globs of red on the outside of fried chicken normal? Not only that, but red spots in other places and pink meat near the center. I ate 5 huge drumsticks in an effort to be polite to the cook, but I'm wondering if half the reason these things were so gross is because they weren't cooked all the way.

It is cooked on the outside but towards the center the meat is fairly pink and I seem to remember chicken turning white when it cooks.

Note to self, don't give self salmonella in effort to be polite.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Howard
Huge globs of red on the outside of fried chicken? Are you serious?

Okay not like the whole drumstick is red, but there is about a 1cm/1cm red area, like it got pushed out during cooking.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Originally posted by: xSauronx
5?!

I paid for half the chicken, and ate 4 yesterday. I just ate one now and decided to post on ATOT about it didn't seem right. I have three to finish off tonight or discreetly throw in the garbage tomorrow (leaning towards the latter).

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Originally posted by: swimscubasteve
Nope, not cooked. You are fine though. Not cooked does not usually mean dangerous.

I'm a bit paranoid, I've had salmonella before and it isn't much fun :) That was just from a runny egg, too.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Drumsticks are usually greyish with a little bit of pink when cooked. The larger the drumstick(Ive seen turkey drumstick sized chicken legs before), then there will be more pink than a regular sized one.

They were probably gross because of their size. Ive never had a abnormally large chicken leg or thigh taste good. Like I've said Ive seen some huge chicken legs. Ive seen split chicken breasts almost as big as a football. The Pilgrams Pride plant in Houston needs to turn down the hormones a couple notches.

<---- used to work in fastfood chicken.