A prehistoric shark found *VIDEO*

Doctor Nyse

Jun 26, 2006
I hate to be the guy that says 'old news' but this was on the news in the winter if I recall correctly

Still really freaky, though

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
So it died when they tried to put it in an area to observe it? Was it already in bad condition or did that somehow cause it?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
90% of living creatures are in the ocean, and most of the species have never been discovered. wrap yourself around that

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
So it died when they tried to put it in an area to observe it? Was it already in bad condition or did that somehow cause it?

Chances are that if it was seen so close to the surface that it was in bad shape to begin with.

But after hearing them say that it died after they moved it to observe it, that pissed me off :|

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

this shark doesn't normally swim very close to the surface. It probably had one foot already in the grave by the time the fisherman spotted it.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
These creatures cannot survive at tank depths simply because they cannot be properly acclimated (if at all) due to the difference in pressure and light levels.

kb315

Jun 16, 2001
IIRC, the creature is use to a deep pressure environment but for what ever reason, it was caught near the surface and didn't have long to live. So researchers kept in a tank for oberservation until it died.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
wiki

link is a bit lacking, i was hoping to find out how long they've been around, since they are calling it "pre-historic"

Ummm... Calling it pre-historic would mean that it's (that species) been out there for at least 5000 years.

Evolution takes a bit longer than that. For that matter, trout are pre-historic. I think your question is how far back does the fossil record go on those things...

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
After seeing those, it makes a person wonder what hasn't been discovered yet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: bactiman
Originally posted by: vidguru83
makes me wonder what other creatures are in our oceans.

link

Damn thats an awesome link, thanks!

While I'm pretty sure this isn't an ocean sun fish, I saw this while snorkelling and it kinda somewhat looks like it COULD be a baby ocean sun fish :p

Pic1
Pic2

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Reminds me of that Octupuss those Japanese researchers found as well.. I really do want to know what else is lurking underneath!

I went to the Philly Zoo overthe weekend and I saw a lot of interesting animals. For example, an Elephant Shrew Rat, a rat that had a long nose!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That looks like those Chinese dragons. Maybe one of those things washed ashore there thousands of years ago...

Aug 23, 2000
Well with all the links posted and strange fish and sharks, you can rest easy knowing that they are being served on a Japanese menu somewhere.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: bactiman
Originally posted by: vidguru83
makes me wonder what other creatures are in our oceans.

link

Damn thats an awesome link, thanks!

While I'm pretty sure this isn't an ocean sun fish, I saw this while snorkelling and it kinda somewhat looks like it COULD be a baby ocean sun fish :p

Pic1
Pic2

dude.. not even close :p but i want to go snorklinnggggggg!