Discussion A possible way to pass H.R.1 without removing the fillibuster.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
If they tack-on a section where it says, the irrevocable contract of building and maintenance of Trump's proposed wall, into H.R. 1 there may be bi-partisan support for the bill.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If they tack-on a section where it says, the irrevocable contract of building and maintenance of Trump's proposed wall, into H.R. 1 there may be bi-partisan support for the bill.
Lol no, there would not be. Republicans don’t actually care about Trump’s wall and even if they did, they care about preserving their ability to suppress Democratic voting far more.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Also, Congress can't make an irrevocable commitment. Each Congress has the legal authority to override, amend or otherwise alter anything a previous Congress has done.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I suppose anybody promising to be infinitely stupid eternally would definitely attract Republican votes.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Offering the same dollar amount in pork barrel to poor red states would be better, as at least that money might produce something useful occasionally.

Reactions: Ken g6

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I like it?
Use Trumps border wall to RAM through HR-1 and end GQP rule for a thousand years.
Sure. Do it. It would be hard for senate gqp'ers to deny it... after all it is THE WALL.... and winter is coming.... or something.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'm thinking Trump's wall lost any of its political value the moment Trump left office and it will take another rankerous rabble rousing bullshit fest rally by Trump to regain any of its symbolic emotional appeal that was tied to it.

I mean, most Repubs understood Trump's wall was a mere object from which to rally around (a D list version of the Alamo as it were), just as they all understood that having Mexico paying for it was simply another lie of his that they had to ignore and or make excuses for.

Nov 17, 2019
Tear down Das Vall!!

ronald-reagan-berlin-wall-500.jpg

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The only way I see anything controversial getting 60 votes this year is if it's tied to raising the debt ceiling. And that's risky because if it doesn't pass Dems get blamed for ruining the nation's credit.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The only way I see anything controversial getting 60 votes this year is if it's tied to raising the debt ceiling. And that's risky because if it doesn't pass Dems get blamed for ruining the nation's credit.
Why would the democrats get blamed? I never understood this argument under Obama either and it turned out that sure enough, republicans got the blame.

That does raise another good point though, the democrats should abolish the debt ceiling while they are at it. It’s one of the dumbest ideas in history.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why would the democrats get blamed? I never understood this argument under Obama either and it turned out that sure enough, republicans got the blame.

That does raise another good point though, the democrats should abolish the debt ceiling while they are at it. It’s one of the dumbest ideas in history.

I think if the GOP truly wants to revive deficit scolding, shutdowns, and potential defaults, they're going to find an America muuuuch less interested in entertaining them than in the Obama years. Even then it was quite unpopular.

Oh yea and they are a "workers party" who won't raise taxes on corps or the wealthy to pay for anything. LOL.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think if the GOP truly wants to revive deficit scolding, shutdowns, and potential defaults, they're going to find an America muuuuch less interested in entertaining them than in the Obama years. Even then it was quite unpopular.

Oh yea and they are a "workers party" who won't raise taxes on corps or the wealthy to pay for anything. LOL.
Well that’s always been the GOP’s problem - Americans really, REALLY hate essentially all of their policies. That’s why they rely so heavily on culture war nonsense and white identity politics.

If memory serves when republicans were trying to repeal the ACA when polled their own voters didn’t believe that their plan was to repeal it and replace it with nothing, even though that was exactly what they were trying to do. The people that voted them into office simply wouldn’t believe that they would do something so cartoonishly evil.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well that’s always been the GOP’s problem - Americans really, REALLY hate essentially all of their policies. That’s why they rely so heavily on culture war nonsense and white identity politics.

If memory serves when republicans were trying to repeal the ACA when polled their own voters didn’t believe that their plan was to repeal it and replace it with nothing, even though that was exactly what they were trying to do. The people that voted them into office simply wouldn’t believe that they would do something so cartoonishly evil.

That's what really puzzles me about the rank and file Repubs and their habit of steadfastly denying facts staring them in the face that their party's leadership is all in for the wealthy at the expense of their own working class voters. Party loyalty is just about the only thing their leadership can now rely on as Trump had laid bare the charade they operated that touted those dreamy fundamental ideals of theirs.

This loyalty is now being held together with nothing more than a pack of lies and conspiracy hoaxes. I wonder how long it takes before that too won't suffice.