A possible 10 years imprisonment for a ?Elite torrents? uploader

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you steal a movie before it is even released I say ten years is a light sentence. Maybe a better sentence for stealing a movie before it is released is the price to make the movie.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
If you steal a movie before it is even released I say ten years is a light sentence. Maybe a better sentence for stealing a movie before it is released is the price to make the movie.

If someone were to kill another person, should they get more or less?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird

Why? You aren't "stealing" the movie...the movie itself is still there, you have not deprive the movie makers of their ability to make use of the movie. You are making an illegal copy, certainly still an illegal activity, but calling it stealing is ridiculous.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law....html?iref=mpstoryview

killing in the US and covering it up = 5-7 years, probably more like 2 years served and 3 years probation

posting a movie on teh interweb = 10 years and half a million dollars

What have we learned here, RIAA and MPAA > human life

I saw where that crazy model got 8 years in prison for killing 3 people. And on the same day, a another lady got 8 years in prison for possessing 60 lbs of pot.

Country turned upside-down.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
A possible 10 years imprisonment for a ?Elite torrents? uploader way too harsh punishment i think

I suggest everybody unbunch their panties.

Prosecutors always wave around super ridiculous maximum sentances when filing charges.

Save your angst for when actual sentancing occurrs.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. This should be a civil case. Let the entertainment industry sue him, not use the federal government as its rent-a-thug.

No.

It is, and should be a crime. If somebody steals your property should it not be crime, just let you sue them in civil court for compenstaion? I think not.

If there were no criminal laws, organized crime would likely swiftly move in to profit. Good luck with suing them. They've got plenty of lawyers who know how to use corps and shift money. By the time it was found out and litigated the money and the company would be long gone, and nobody left to purue under civil statutes.

Anyway, after the criminal trial will come the civil trial. That's how it usually seems to work.

Fern