A possible 10 years imprisonment for a ?Elite torrents? uploader

mayanks098

Nov 25, 2007
As the saga of FBI crackdown on the US based BT tracker "Elite torrents" continues,another uploader associated with the "sharing" of Star Wars Episode III,a pre-release movie of that time,found guilty under http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/pl109-9.html]Family Entertainment Copyright Act.[/url] ,could be facing 10 years in prison and a $500,000 fine!!!.
In this copyright case tried in the criminal (rather than civil) legal domain, potential punishments are harsh. Do is facing up to 10 years in prison coupled with a fine of $500,000.

He will be sentenced on February 27th, 2008.

An Duc Do, aged 25, of Orlando, Florida, is charged with conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement.Earlier to FBI raids resulted in five months of prison, five months of home arrest, and a $3,000 fine against Grant T. Stanley on October 17, 2006.[1] Another administrator of the site, Scott McCausland, received the same sentence on December 19, 2006.There have been two more convicts,Sam Kuonen and Scott D. Harvanek.

But to me the even the punishment prospects seem too harsh.
Murderers,rapists and many other more severe criminals roam freely.What does FBI do to nail them? MPAA and the likes have tried hard defending the monetary rights of these movies etc but what about "HUMAN RIGHTS INFRINGEMENT" these criminals make?

SOURCE

KingTech

Sep 17, 2007
In my opinion this is to much . I would not favor ten years imprisonment the fine is ok if the copy right act is violated.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: mayanks098
Murderers(including George Bush),rapists and many other more severe criminals roam freely
Welcome to ATP&N!

Please remove the pointless reference to Bush from your otherwise worthwhile post.

This case is important to discuss, but you fvcked up the entire thread with that single line about Bush...

Don't be That Guy.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Wayyy too harsh when in this country violent criminals get less time. BTW - going off on a Bush tangent around these parts will make your points moot to many reading here. Welcome.

mayanks098

Nov 25, 2007
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Murderers(including George Bush),rapists and many other more severe criminals roam freely
Welcome to ATP&N!

Please remove the pointless reference to Bush from your otherwise worthwhile post.

This case is important to discuss, but you fvcked up the entire thread with that single line about Bush...

Don't be That Guy.

i have no problem removing reference to Bush but i want to know the reason.I am new to AT P&N so want to know.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Welcome to ATP&N!

Don't be That Guy.

i have no problem removing reference to Bush but i want to know the reason.I am new to AT P&N so want to know.

If you're gonna call him a murderer, make a thread showing evidence and your position on why he is a murderer. Do not merely throw in a 'red herring' that automatically assumes he is a murderer when that has nothing to do with your original topic.

Your original topic is fine..

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
As the saga of FBI crackdown on the US based BT tracker "Elite torrents" continues,another uploader associated with the "sharing" of Star Wars Episode III,a pre-release movie of that time,found guilty under http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/pl109-9.html]Family Entertainment Copyright Act.[/url] ,could be facing 10 years in prison and a $500,000 fine!!!.
In this copyright case tried in the criminal (rather than civil) legal domain, potential punishments are harsh. Do is facing up to 10 years in prison coupled with a fine of $500,000.

An Duc Do, aged 25, of Orlando, Florida, is charged with conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement.Earlier to FBI raids resulted in five months of prison, five months of home arrest, and a $3,000 fine against Grant T. Stanley on October 17, 2006.[1] Another administrator of the site, Scott McCausland, received the same sentence on December 19, 2006.There have been two more convicts,Sam Kuonen and Scott D. Harvanek.

Murderers(including George Bush),rapists and many other more severe criminals roam freely.What does FBI do to nail them? MPAA and the likes have tried hard defending the monetary rights of these movies etc but what about "HUMAN RIGHTS INFRINGEMENT" these criminals make?

http://ilk.110mb.com/blog/inde...try=entry071118-100714]SOURCE[/url]

This vaguely smells of a recently banned member.,...

Oh and in response to the OP...SSL and a proxy woulda protected him. Thats his fault.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I very much agree that this length of sentence is way over the top. But the point is that if Duc Do had not done the crime, someone else would have written a highly similar way to do the same thing. And future people will be smarter, release these exploits into the public domain, and be smart enough not to put their name on it.

But its throws a bone to the MPAA and RIAA who now can point to the pound of Duc Do flesh they ate, but their same problem will still be there as the general public hates them even more for being piggish bastards unworthy of any public sympathy.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Talk about a waste of taxpayer money. This should be a civil case. Let the entertainment industry sue him, not use the federal government as its rent-a-thug.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Stupid penalty, but of course he won't get that sentence, kind of like how hundreds of thousand or millions of people could be prosecuted by the FBI under that thing on the front screen of movies but it never happens.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Wayyy too harsh when in this country violent criminals get less time. BTW - going off on a Bush tangent around these parts will make your points moot to many reading here. Welcome.

Only to the despot's supporters, and what do they matter? :p

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Welcome to ATP&N!

Don't be That Guy.

newbies don`t get to know...use the force my young Jedi...

mayanks098

Nov 25, 2007
Originally posted by: libs0n
I downloaded that file, from that tracker.

:roll:

dont speak that in public,they might catch you as well as they have lots of free time because they are not busy uncovering the "real" criminals.

P.S. i seem to have a problem with AT.whenever i try to quote,my pop up screen doesnt appear if i have quoted once.to quote the second time i had to close my firefox,re-login and then it worked.kinda wierd.
what can be the problem?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39

I think we should propose a corollary to Goodwin's Law and Reductio ad Hitlerum which states that any argument based off of spurious analogies or references to George Bush is immediately proved false. I think we should call it "Reductio ad Bushism" or "BrownTown's Law". When you think about it these days people really do use references to Bush in the same way that references to Hitler are often used, the almost universal hate for Bush is on the level where many people think that linking him to an argument can immediately discredit it when in fact they are discrediting themselves.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As Brown Town proposes a contradiction in terms with---I think we should call it "Reductio ad Bushism" or "BrownTown's Law".

Brown Town, given some previous posts, you kind of lose us with the I think part.

Of course this whole thing is related to government in general, antiquated copyright laws made obsolete by new technologies, and should be definitely be addressed by the legislative and executive branches. The idea that GWB, as sitting President, should be given an automatic pass when he bills himself as the decider is absurd. Both the congress and the President should have been addressing these copyright issues and have not. As a result we have these thorny issues still to deal with as miscarriages of justice occur. But you may have a small point, GWB is not the only idiot in government to blame.

Maybe in about fifty years, there may be some validity in a Godwins like law applying to GWB, but I doubt it will take this country the full 50 years to place GWB on a pedistal roughly equivalent to general level Hitler occupies.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Section 103(a)(a)(2) reads:

Evidence.--For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement of a copyright.
Interesting.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: her209
Section 103(a)(a)(2) reads:

Evidence.--For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement of a copyright.
Interesting.

Nah, it just differentiates between 'willful' infringement and strict liability infringement which carries a lesser penalty. It means the prosecutor cannot prove willfull infringment by evidence of the infringement alone, but must prove knowledge of wrongdoing on the defendant's behalf. If the defendant is a computer nerd though, the burden is not going to be very difficult.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Jail time? C'mon.

Just make him/her pay for legal licenses of each piece of software pirated.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Murderers,rapists and many other more severe criminals roam freely.What does FBI do to nail them? MPAA and the likes have tried hard defending the monetary rights of these movies etc but what about "HUMAN RIGHTS INFRINGEMENT" these criminals make?

SOURCE

is that why alt.binaries.movies has been so light lately? :(

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/pl109-9.html]Family Entertainment Copyright Act.[/url]
Who voted for this outstanding piece of legislation?

And some people still have the naivety to think our politicians aren't completely bought and paid for?

Too bad they didn't add one more word to the title and call it the Family Entertainment Copyright Act Legislation. They could have had an appropriate acronym, and the judge could have fun stating things like, "In regards to the pending FECAL matter..."