A noob question...

CheckM8

Jun 28, 2003
Hello all. I have a quick question. What is the difference between a production processor and a Non-production processor (ES - Enginering Sample)? I just had a custom system built by Velocity Micro and all tests done on the Processor indicate that I have a non-production processor. I have used Intel's Frequency ID program and Sandra SiS utilities. Both of which informed me that I have a non-production processor. Is this a bad thing, will this become a problem in the future? Right now the system works perfectly.

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz w/HT 800FSB
Asus P4c800 - E
1024mb of Corsair PC3500-XMS DDR-433 2x512
Antec TRUE 550 Watt PS
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/256MB 8x AGP Dual Heads
36GB WD Raptor 10k Sata + 2x 120GB Seagate Sata drives in striped array....etc...etc...etc

Thanks for your time!
CheckM8

poMONKey

Nov 11, 2002
hello... welcome... and do a search here or on google :)

i think its a good thing... if not a benign issue

BTW: nice rig

zmzhang

Feb 17, 2001
The major difference is that the ES has the multiplyer unlocked. If you actually have one, wow... try bumping up the multiplyer and see how high the cpu can overclock

lchyi

May 1, 2003
Welcome to the forums btw. And geez, with an ES of that proc, you could be running 3.5-3.7ghz easily.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
Quote:"ES of that proc, you could be running 3.5-3.7ghz easily"

tahts at the upper end of things with a nice (read "expensive") cooling setup. I dont think that the realistic expctations are quite that high. I would shoot for 3.4Ghz and go from there.

CheckM8

Jun 28, 2003
Indeed the multiplier is unlocked on my processor. After doing some research this could be a very good thing as far as overclocking goes. I am however going to hold off until I can muster enough moolah for a better cooling solution. I am very interested in a prometia. Has anyone ever seen a prometia set up in real life. I hear they are the best cooling solution out there at the moment. I think this machine was built to be overclocked...heh. Anyway, thanks to all who welcomed me, and responded to my questions. Now its off to study about overclocking..LOL....this could become a new hobby. (*looks around and makes sure wife isn't looking)

Thanks
CheckM8

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
/grumble ... well overclockig is a *bit* easier when you have a ES chip or a NForce+XP chipset :p