A nice pic I took today - opinions?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: PHiuR
Originally posted by: FilmCamera
Originally posted by: PHiuR
I think he gave a crap about the "rules" homer was talking about...just unconsciously as any good picture maker should. :D

Yeah I'm not saying it doesn't follow the rules. I have just developed an eye for composition. But photographers can take photos that don't follow rules but still make good compositions. I believe it's less about rules and more about the end results. And the "rules" are just guidelines to help point you in the right direction or to help you develop a sense of what is a good composition and what isn't.

My whole gripe is that homercles was just such a jerk to the guy even though he is out there and trying and all. Very very few people just pickup a camera and immediately start taking good photos with excellent compositions. It takes practice. Anyone who wants to take photos and is trying should be encouraged as I think it is a most excellent endeavor. If everyone had just been a jerk to me about my work then I wouldn't be where I am today. Most photographers that I have spoken with are very critical of their own work, myself included. We don't need anyone else to come around and say "YOU SUCK YOU CLICKY CLICKY CLICKER!" Esepcially when that person has no field experience as a photographer. I don't even think that you can offer constructive criticism unless you have that experience. Reading books or websites to learn the basic "rules" of composition doesn't make you a photographer.

I agree with you that homer comes off as an asshole, but overall I think he's just trying to help.

We must learn the rules before we break them. We need to know why the rules are there in the first place. As you said people shouldn't offer criticism if they don't have experience/good examples. I agree, you should defintely take in information from someone who has excellent work that you, yourself look up to. Finally, yes, reading up on websites and books does not make you a photographer, perhaps thats why homer said he doesn't consider himself a photographer.

I don't mean to defend him in most of my posts, but it seems like everyone is attacking him because he didn't "take it easy" on OP. OP, just learn that any criticism even if it's rude and mean will you help become a better *"photographer"*

I never had a problem with the criticism - just a little academic arguing.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I think it's a beautiful picture. I love the colors of the scenery the sun helps illuminate. However, I don't like the rings around the sun which I think takes your focus off the scenery.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: Number1
You guys have a lot of patience deeling with homercles337

Yea for stupidity. :thumbsup:

BTW, its dealing, not deeling.

I wasn?t talking to you but I am glad you got the message.

DIAWC

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

DIAWC

Yea for crappy clicky, clicks masquerading as an example of "breaking the rules." You fail at proving your point.

FilmCamera

Nov 12, 2006

DIAWC

Yea for crappy clicky, clicks masquerading as an example of "breaking the rules." You fail at proving your point.

LOL

You totally mised the point of his acronym.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001

DIAWC

:laugh: He's telling you do die in a wood chipper, not use that as an example pic

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

DIAWC

:laugh: He's telling you do die in a wood chipper, not use that as an example pic

Now that i know i wish i cared. Obviously Dumber1 is a clicky, clicker who fancies himself a photographer. I guess he is upset that i made this obvious to him (indirectly of course). Well, no threats of killing me negates the fact that Dumber1 cant spell to save his own life.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Anyway, to the OP...

It's a good snapshot, but unfortunately that's all I would consider it. The fault isn't really your's though.

1. The steel building in the background kinda takes away from the feeling of the picture.
2. The trees are too "busy" and the branches and leaves look too ugly and uninteresting.
3. To me the scene is just kinda drab and uninteresting.

People will tell you to follow composition rules, framing rules, etc, but I personally think that no amount of creative framing could really help in this situation where the subject itself (or its surroundings, rather) is uninteresting.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

BTW, it's "it's," not "its."

BTW, it's "yay," not "yea."

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I think this framing might have been a bit better:

http://fuzzybabybunny.smugmug.com/photos/111394952-O.jpg

Follow the tall contours of the trees with your framing, and get close to the subject of the photo.

Another thing you can try is play with the shadows of the trees (ie. have the sun in the background, a line of trees in the middleground, and the shadows of their trunks spreading out towards the photographer in the foreground)

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

Follow the tall contours of the trees with your framing, and get close to the subject of the photo.

Another thing you can try is play with the shadows of the trees (ie. have the sun in the background, a line of trees in the middleground, and the shadows of their trunks spreading out towards the photographer in the foreground)

You are always so diplomatic and helpfull. How do you do it?

fuzzybabybunny for elite.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Here's an example of an absolutely great picture taken by yours truly yesterday.

Sure it may not follow any rules, the composition may be off a bit, I didn't split any horizons, it may not have a great subject, or even be a good picture for that matter, but I'm on a whole different level in the photography world and forgive you for not being able to comprehend the beautiful genius of this picture!

Look and learn my friends, look and learn...

I call this "My dog!"

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4036/sandyzs2.jpg

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Literati
Here's an example of an absolutely great picture taken by yours truly yesterday.

Sure it may not follow any rules, the composition may be off a bit, I didn't split any horizons, it may not have a great subject, or even be a good picture for that matter, but I'm on a whole different level in the photography world and forgive you for not being able to comprehend the beautiful genius of this picture!

I call this "My dog!"

Love it!

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
I like the colors, but other than that, it's not much of an original idea. Keep working at it, though.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

I call this "My dog!"

Cool funny picture. In the same spirit, here is my dog

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

I call this "My dog!"

Nice clicy, click. :) :thumbsup: Cute dog too! What kind of dog is that?

BTW, SlowSnail, you may want to use dictionary.com before posting.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

You are always so diplomatic and helpfull. How do you do it?

fuzzybabybunny for elite.

I'm thinking that too, I made a petition in forum issues. Stop by and let the mods know!

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=42&threadid=1962304