A nice little sleeper! 400+fwhp you say? Stock engine and tranny you say? hmm...

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Enjoy!

Hopefully this won't turn into a flamefest but rather an appreciation for all things automotive and in this case, a Maxima.

400+fwhp on stock engine and tranny. Obviously it has no traction, but I think the owner is just going for all out speed till he blows the engine. The car looks pretty stock as well.

Gotta love enthusaism like that! :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Stock engine? If you mean stock internals, cool. But that engine is far from stock with a turbo strapped on it.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: geno
Stock engine? If you mean stock internals, cool. But that engine is far from stock with a turbo strapped on it.

sorry i meant stock internals.

As for hte tq steer, I believe he has a VLSD, but yeah, there probably is mad torque steer.

I'm pretty sure this whole thing is an experiment to see how much power the stock engine internals can take.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: MonkOnXanax
not that uncommon among DSMs.

So, without nitrous, DSMs routinely put down 430HP to the ground? That's near 500HP at the crank. I tend to think that's uncommon for a 4 cyl.

MonkOnXanax

Feb 10, 2002
So, without nitrous, DSMs routinely put down 430HP to the ground? That's near 500HP at the crank. I tend to think that's uncommon for a 4 cyl.
the 2.0L 4G63 can. and i'm sure that the 3.0L V6 in the 3000GT can put down even more.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
DSMs are sports cars, this is not.
i thought that we were discussing stock engines and trannys, not sedans. my bad.

ok ok..we are discussing stock engines/trannies/cars and crazy stuff that people to do them.

Apr 5, 2000
LIke geno said, stock internals, not stock engine

I'd like to see how many weeks that engine and tranny lasts running at 12.5psi before something blows.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
the 2.0L 4G63 can. and i'm sure that the 3.0L V6 in the 3000GT can put down even more.

Didn't the 4G63 have a crankwalk problem and the 3000GT's tranny had a self-destruction problem?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

I'd like to see how many weeks that engine and tranny lasts running at 12.5psi before something blows.

That's what everyone (including the owner) is waiting to see... :D

Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

That's what everyone (including the owner) is waiting to see... :D

I'll put my money on 2 weeks, assuming he does at least a couple WOT runs daily :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

I know it can, but you said it's common. How common? I say not too common...
As for the 3.0 in the 3000GT/Stealth? I don't think it'd do it on stock internals, I'm sure it can, but for how long? I don't have that much faith in Mitsu's engineering. However, the motor is prepped for use with turbos from the start, so I'm sure that can't hurt.

MonkOnXanax

Feb 10, 2002
Didn't the 4G63 have a crankwalk problem and the 3000GT's tranny had a self-destruction problem?
no. middle of the run 2nd gens did. 1st gens did not. early and late 2nd gens did not either.

the 3000GT is a walking timebomb.

2nd gen eclipse upgrade path

vr-4 upgrade path

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Awesome.

Maxima isn't my cup of tea, but gotta give him thumbs up for getting all that HP/TQ.

It's hard to believe that turbo will net you additional 250HP.:Q

MonkOnXanax

Feb 10, 2002
I know it can, but you said it's common. How common? I say not too common...
As for the 3.0 in the 3000GT/Stealth? I don't think it'd do it on stock internals, I'm sure it can, but for how long? I don't have that much faith in Mitsu's engineering. However, the motor is prepped for use with turbos from the start, so I'm sure that can't hurt.
it's pretty common. at least around here. and A LOT more common than a maxima putting down 400hp.

mitsu tends to overbuild their engines, i know that the 4G63 can handle it, i don't doubt that the VR-4 can.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

It's not a 4 cylinder, read his post. He's getting knocking in the number 5 cylinder.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: Bignate603

It's not a 4 cylinder, read his post. He's getting knocking in the number 5 cylinder.

I'm talking about the DSM's.