A new year in Illinois but it's the same old stuff.....

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Any Illinois residents here catch Madigans new tv ad campaign called "On your side"? After seeing it the first time I wanted to throw up. Who does this guy think he is.....? I beleive ilnews.org put it best when they wrote "The add gives no mention to the state’s property taxes that are among the highest in the nation, the record-levels of public pension debt north of $130 billion, the state's worst-in-the-nation credit rating, and continued out-migration leading the nation, all things that have accumulated and culminated while Madigan has been speaker of the House for all but two years since 1983.".
On our side my ass. The only side this guy and his constituents are on is their own and they have no problem taking the entire state down with them as long as it lines their coffers.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Yuck...why did you link it? I had to watch it again just to be sure you linked to the right ad. You did and I got that sour taste in my mouth again.
Your Chicago Tribune article didn't fair any better for me. I've read it before and it's absolutely disgusting to read what a corrupt political party can do to a state.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
But hey! Hunters can now wear pink!
I'd laugh if this wasn't the sad truth of things here in Illinois. Thank the gods that hunters can now wear pink instead of orange. What would we do with out that crisis averted??
Oh gods....we are so screwed in this state.:(

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
This is typical of "the worst states to live in".
I know iOwa and the same goes for iOwa.
They "claim" it's "the place to grow".
Catchy little phrase, with empty promises and false hope.
A place to grow? Well, not if you are old because you can't stay in your house due to ever rising property taxes.
If you are on a fixed income, iOwa doesn't give a damn if you lose your life long house due to ever rising taxes.
And if you are young there is absolutely NO opportunities other than in fast food, or Walmart, or figuring out how to escape the state and how fast you can escape before you find yourself trapped.

iOwa has one of most corrupt local governments, a good ole boys club, and nothing ever changes. They have this little scheme where they rake in matching federal money and ensure that money keeps flowing.
Take roads, every April the roads close and usually the SAME ROADS as last year.
They remain closed until December 15th, then magically reopen.
Only to re-close come next April.
This is to ensure iOwa uses up, or "appears" to use up all of her matching federal tax dollars so to qualify for next years matching federal funds.
You see, if iOwa didn't use up that money, or cook the books making it appear so, the federal government would reduce that money for the next years funding. Well, iOwa couldn't have THAT, oh no.
Makes one wonder exactly who it is pocketing all of that federal money?
So they close the roads, they stay closed all year long, and magically reopen 15 days before the new year. This is the case year after year after year.
And thats only one of their little scams Iowa plays on the people.

And too, iOwa is one if not the number one highest taxed states.
The state has the local news media run these little shorts as to how WONDERFUL iOwa is and how incredible it is to live in iOwa. All the while iowa seniors flee for more affordable senior friendly states. And while the youth move away in hoards to seek decent jobs. Even the farm kids are now fleeing iOwa to get out of that hard farm life. They no longer care to carry on that family farming tradition.
iOwa has ONE cable company, ONE gas and electric company, and ONE water company. Choice and competition? Forger it, there is none. Not in iOwa.
A a large majority of the state has no internet or internet availability other than out of state satellite combines like Hughes Net.
For investors and business iOwa is simply not worth it.

One can easily determine if a state is a good state or a bad state.
Look at the unemployment and the types of jobs available, especially for the youth.
Are they low waged jobs in food service and at the Walmarts? Does the state have technology industry? Look at the tax rates compared to other states. Look at the infrastructure, is infrastructure a mess? Look at the seniors, can they afford to live in their homes once retired? Or are they forced into apartments or moving in with their children in their homes?
And, look at how that states cares for its sick and handicapped. Has that state privatized medicare and SS disability? Turned it into some FOR PROFIT system, as the iowa republican governor has done? Rising costs while grossly cutting services?
Yes, you can easily tell if you live in a good state or a bad state.
Yet every state whether good or bad will claim they are in the good category.
However, state statistics always tells the truth.
A state can't hide from the facts....

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
This is typical of "the worst states to live in".
I know iOwa and the same goes for iOwa.
They "claim" it's "the place to grow".
Catchy little phrase, with empty promises and false hope.
A place to grow? Well, not if you are old because you can't stay in your house due to ever rising property taxes.
If you are on a fixed income, iOwa doesn't give a damn if you lose your life long house due to ever rising taxes.
And if you are young there is absolutely NO opportunities other than in fast food, or Walmart, or figuring out how to escape the state and how fast you can escape before you find yourself trapped.

iOwa has one of most corrupt local governments, a good ole boys club, and nothing ever changes. They have this little scheme where they rake in matching federal money and ensure that money keeps flowing.
Take roads, every April the roads close and usually the SAME ROADS as last year.
They remain closed until December 15th, then magically reopen.
Only to re-close come next April.
This is to ensure iOwa uses up, or "appears" to use up all of her matching federal tax dollars so to qualify for next years matching federal funds.
You see, if iOwa didn't use up that money, or cook the books making it appear so, the federal government would reduce that money for the next years funding. Well, iOwa couldn't have THAT, oh no.
Makes one wonder exactly who it is pocketing all of that federal money?
So they close the roads, they stay closed all year long, and magically reopen 15 days before the new year. This is the case year after year after year.
And thats only one of their little scams Iowa plays on the people.

And too, iOwa is one if not the number one highest taxed states.
The state has the local news media run these little shorts as to how WONDERFUL iOwa is and how incredible it is to live in iOwa. All the while iowa seniors flee for more affordable senior friendly states. And while the youth move away in hoards to seek decent jobs. Even the farm kids are now fleeing iOwa to get out of that hard farm life. They no longer care to carry on that family farming tradition.
iOwa has ONE cable company, ONE gas and electric company, and ONE water company. Choice and competition? Forger it, there is none. Not in iOwa.
A a large majority of the state has no internet or internet availability other than out of state satellite combines like Hughes Net.
For investors and business iOwa is simply not worth it.

One can easily determine if a state is a good state or a bad state.
Look at the unemployment and the types of jobs available, especially for the youth.
Are they low waged jobs in food service and at the Walmarts? Does the state have technology industry? Look at the tax rates compared to other states. Look at the infrastructure, is infrastructure a mess? Look at the seniors, can they afford to live in their homes once retired? Or are they forced into apartments or moving in with their children in their homes?
And, look at how that states cares for its sick and handicapped. Has that state privatized medicare and SS disability? Turned it into some FOR PROFIT system, as the iowa republican governor has done? Rising costs while grossly cutting services?
Yes, you can easily tell if you live in a good state or a bad state.
Yet every state whether good or bad will claim they are in the good category.
However, state statistics always tells the truth.
A state can't hide from the facts....
Not bad. I like to give credit when credit is due buuuuut and you know there is always a but. When your beloved iOwa can put this quadfecta under its belt then we can talk.

The add gives no mention to the state’s property taxes that are among the highest in the nation, the record-levels of public pension debt north of $130 billion, the state's worst-in-the-nation credit rating, and continued out-migration leading the nation, all things that have accumulated and culminated while Madigan has been speaker of the House for all but two years since 1983

Illinois a bad state dude. One of the worst for almost everything. Don't bring your iOwa down to our level of badness because we will win in almost every category that is bad to win at.

Nov 8, 2012
Not bad. I like to give credit when credit is due buuuuut and you know there is always a but. When your beloved iOwa can put this quadfecta under its belt then we can talk.

The add gives no mention to the state’s property taxes that are among the highest in the nation, the record-levels of public pension debt north of $130 billion, the state's worst-in-the-nation credit rating, and continued out-migration leading the nation, all things that have accumulated and culminated while Madigan has been speaker of the House for all but two years since 1983

Illinois a bad state dude. One of the worst for almost everything. Don't bring your iOwa down to our level of badness because we will win in almost every category that is bad to win at.

Can't most of it be blamed on Chicago though? As far as everything you mentioned - all of that reminds me of Chicago problems, not IL problems.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I fish a lot in Illinois, and they probably have the best and easiest out-of-state fishing license process I've ever seen, so you've got that going for you.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You should put the GOP in charge they'll fix you right up, starting with the water supply.

Reactions: nickqt

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You should put the GOP in charge they'll fix you right up, starting with the water supply.

Don't forget the problem with kids these days is we've made the water too clean. They need some toxic shit in their water to grow up big and strong.