A new way to reheat pizza?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Searching for the perfect way to reheat my pizza, I found this.

I pasted it so you don't have to steal his bandwidth..
How to Reheat Pizza

Okay, there's nothing inherently "Texan" about this article, except that I've never heard of this before. It's my idea, and I'm a Texan, so it must be related.

And the image above? Well, that's an excuse to play with a digital camera.

In fact, I had leftover pizza for lunch. I laid it, evenly spaced, on a microwavable plate, and it reminded me of the "Radioactive" symbol, so I grabbed the DC-20 and took a picture.

Anyway, the point of this article is not to prove that I'm strange, it's to let you know that there is a perfect way to fix leftover pizza. And that I invented that method.

The problem with leftover pizza is that it isn't as good as freshly baked pizza. Not so with some foods... gumbo, for instance, is better the second day. A lot of people eat leftover pizza cold because they don't want to ruin it by reheating it. I haven't had the nerve to try that, because cold pizza sounds grotesque to me. I do know that leftover fried chicken is good cold, and that cold fried chicken is vastly superior to hot, just-fried chicken, which is greasy and grotesque.

When you heat any type of bread in a microwave oven, it gets a little mushy and really chewy. If you follow the instructions on the box, and heat it in the oven while still in the box, it looks awful, and doesn't taste much better.

But if you want to make it really great, put it on a microwavable plate and heat it until the cheese starts to melt. Then, put a frying pan on the stove and turn the burner on high. Put the already partially-heated pizza in the hot skillet, and let it sizzle a bit. I usually pick up the pan and shake it around a few times, so the pizza won't burn.

What happens is that the crust gets crispy again. You have to do the microwave thing first, or the top will be cold even if you leave it on the stove long enough to burn to crust.

Try it out; it really works great. In fact, it approaches the "gumbo rule" of "better the second time around!"

And let me know what you think! Write me at alan_85@rocketmail.com.

Copyright © 1999, Alan P. LaRue

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I lived in Germany for two months a couple years back. I arrived on one of their many, many religious holidays on a Friday. The stores were closed. They were also closed on the Saturday and Sunday as is typical there. So that meant I would have to go without food for 3 days. Luckilly a nice family gave me and my wife a bag of groceries to get thorough the weekend. Unfortunately most of that was frozen pizzas and all the apartment had was a stove - no oven, no microwave. We got out the frying pan and fried the frozen pizzas. It took a few trials to get it perfected. If you put it on medium or high heat the bottom will burn far before the cheese melts. But if you put it on low for about an hour with another pan on top (optional, but it keeps the heat in and melt the cheese faster) you get a damn good pizza with a nice crust (on the crispy side).

A touch of oil on the pan helps - as does a nice thick heavy pan to evenly distribute the heat.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Just use an oven. It's a lot easier. I used it to reheat french fries, pizza, and other stuff...

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
the real ghetto way is to lay it on the toaster after it comes out of the microwave.

Beware the cheese.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I tried again, not leaving it as long in the pan, and it seems to work pretty well. Nice crisp crust.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Wow so much work when he could just start by putting it in the oven or toaster oven.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Anyone who has never eaten cold leftover pizza has no right to write about pizza...

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I eat it cold, which is just fine, or use the toaster oven. More people need toaster ovens.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: yamahaXS
1) that guy is a moron.
2) use the oven
He's especially a moron for saying cold fried chicken is better than fresh fried chicken. :confused:

Hell, Domino's even prints reheating instructions on their box! Take box out of fridge, put in oven, heat 15-20 minutes.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Triumph
I eat it cold, which is just fine, or use the toaster oven. More people need toaster ovens.

LOL Triumph approaches sig worthiness: "More people need toaster ovens."

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
that sounds REALLY hard at 7 in the morning. I'll stick with grotesque cold pizza