A new TIM from Tuniq - Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Paste

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Linkage to reviw: http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=383

Average price is ~$6.00 at the few places that stock it now. Expect the number of resellers to blossom once word gets around.

This one moron on eBay, newhomegadgets, is trying to get ~$18.00 for it as he overprices everything he sells (but few have this 200% markup) - I suppose he expects to prosper off the few rubes that blindly enter his trap rather than price his goods honestly.

The syringe this product comes in looks identical to the ones The TR Chill Factor and Arctic Cooling MX-2 come in. Coincidence?

.bh.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
IDK, is MX-2 gray? As I noted in the OP, the syringes all three come in look itentical down to the cap on the end.

.bh.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
AS5 is still king considering how easy it is to apply and how good the temps are. I ain't gonna fiddle with play doh paste for a 1 degree gain.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
I honestly don't believe in the TIM crap anymore. My Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 3.2GHz is 30C idle each core and maybe 65C under load (Orthos). I'm using plain white silicone Thermalright TIM and an XP-90 with a 92mm ADDA fan at 1600RPM. The TIM was free. I'm not going to waste $10 on a couple grams of Arctic Silver anymore.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Thermalright heatsinks have recently come with a small quantity of their Chill Factor goop - you didn't really think they'd supply generic goop with their enthusiast grade heatsinks, did you? That's not your basic TIM. It ranks with the top stuff that we're discussing here. Go down to Radio Shack and buy a little tube of their generic silicone stuff (or to a local M&P computer store for a packet of the stuff that comes with the $10. HSFs which they didn't use) and see if you still think the same way.

.bh.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
My favorite was that article showing that toothpaste works just as well as the best high-silver-content thermal compounds out there, and water works better than any of them (though it will damage your cpu). After that, I kindof realized that TIM is mostly marketing and misconceptions.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Zepper
Thermalright heatsinks have recently come with a small quantity of their Chill Factor goop - you didn't really think they'd supply generic goop with their enthusiast grade heatsinks, did you? That's not your basic TIM. It ranks with the top stuff that we're discussing here. Go down to Radio Shack and buy a little tube of their generic silicone stuff (or to a local M&P computer store for a packet of the stuff that comes with the $10. HSFs which they didn't use) and see if you still think the same way.

.bh.

I actually got it from the V1 Ultra I used to have installed on my X1900XT. It is not Chill Factor at all. Take a look in the picture below:

http://www.techpowerup.com/rev...ra/images/contents.jpg

From what I have read the Chill Factor is somewhat runny. The generic crap that came with my V1 Ultra is thick and sticky.

You also say "recently" yet all my Thermalright product purchases were last year. Do you want me to pull out some of that crap that Dell ships out with motherboard replacements? I have plenty of that too.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't understand why people are so loyal to AS5 when it isn't all that cheap and it really isn't that much easier to apply than a number of other superior products on the market. Hell X23 is easy to apply, it's not expensive, and it is better than AS5. Zalman STG-1 has been shown to be better and is actually easier to apply than AS5 thanks to their nail-polish style applicator. AS5 is old hat. I'd sooner use Ceramique if I wanted to use an Arctic Silver product.

edit: I have to say that TX-2 benchmark seems a little odd. It has AS5 beating MX-2 in load testing, which contradicts every other MX-2 review I've seen. It also showed Ceramique losing to AS5 which is also peculiar . . . I've seen tests where Ceramique kicked AS5's butt all over the place (mostly on lapped surfaces).