A New Record - Anyone Else Feel Their Life is A CDW Commercial?

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Over the last year I took off 2 days so the company has told me to use my Forced er.. ahh.. I mean Flexible Time Off. I took off a week and a half. I am used to people intercepting me in the lobby as I get to the office but this takes the cake. I was getting off the highway and stopped at a traffic light when I heard someone honk. I looked over and saw a coworker. As I rolled down my window, he told me he was having remote access problems and the outside contractors nuked his PC. He asked if he could hand over his notebook PC to me right then and there for me to fix.

Anyone else feel their life is a CDW Commercial?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
OMG, that guy's lucky you didn't roll the window up on his arm!

You just hit one of my All Time Biggest Pet Peeves; people that don't let me get to my desk in the morning B4 talking work. I need to get to my desk, login and get one cup of coffee. It takes all of two minutes to do all that. Some people have no manners. Your coworker is obviously one of them.

At my last job, people would follow me into the restroom, stand there while I was TCOB and talk business. I've had women wait outside the men's room for me to talk business. Ridiculous. Of course, you have to be nice to them: unprofessionalism in your direction doens't justify unprofessionalism from you. You know? Well, good on you for not smashing his arm in the window! ;)

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
Did you take it? If so, can you get paid for the service?

I always get asked questions from my coworkers "for my PC at home" -- while on company time. I think I need to put up a sign with my fees "to take a quick look" or to "give any friendly advice." Just what I need is responsiblity over their home PC's too. I can hear it now..."you know that hard drive you installed? Well it just crashed." No thanks!

SonicFlux

Mar 9, 2000
Holy Bejeezies!!! That takes the cake for the "pesky user that bugs you after-hours" award.

I've had users stop me in the halls and make me wait while they think of a problem with their home PCs, but if someone ever flagged me down while I was driving, I'd probably crank my stereo system up and pretend I couldn't hear them :(

I you have to talk to them, tell them you don't have the facilities to work on it until you get back to the office, which won't be until you get back from vacation... ?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
My users are pretty good about it. They'll usually let me get some coffee and catch up on e-mail before they present problems.

SQL

Jul 10, 2001

Gee my first post...

Yes, the laptop story has to be a record. That is a major peeve of mine also, not waiting to get your coat off when you stroll into work.

I have always contended that we are like doctors that never go on vacation. There is no escape...from the bathroom stalls at work, to your parents screwed up machine when you visit for dinner. Or when a co-worker asks what kind of memory they should get for their Packard Bell, or why they get a fatal exception everytime they try to print a greeting card from Print Shop at home.

Of course the most dreaded inquiry of all is "What kind of computer should I buy?" I find it best to avoid answering that question by clutching my heart and falling forward out of my chair thus simulating a heart attack. At least they usually have the good sense to leave you alone for a few minutes before they ask you to install a nature screensaver that was copyrighted in 1989.

Ever get called on vacation?

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
Welcome aboard SQL...you bring up a good point about family. I can't go to any family function without getting hit up about computers. Luckily the serious troublemakers know they have to pay me for the hours I spend fighting their machines. And my parents machine...well I figure they have some freebies coming for all they have done for me in the past LOL. :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
CDW = ???:confused:

And yes, I know how it can be to have your family, friends, and co-workers on your ass to have you help them. Rather than proving what I know, I use a small phrase to get myself out of fixing things - "Nah, I don't know how to fix that" :)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
SQL hit it right on the head. I thought when I moved out of the house, the support calls would stop. Not a chance. I don't build PC's, test PC's or fix PC's for family members any more. Nothing like spending an entire family reunion explaining (and reexplaining) the values of DDR Ram, AGP, etc. I've just been playing dumb latly, my ego isn't that hurt by it :D