A new feature in Office 2007

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
So, I'm typing up a short research paper in Office 2007, and struggling with making a Works Cited page with the myriad of sources I'd compiled and used. After I finished the Works Cited, within MLA guidelines, I began digging around inside 2k7's menu system to find a way to create the indentations I wanted in the body of the paper.

Under the References tab in Office 2007, there is a section called 'Citations and Bibliography.
This allows you add sources, asking for such things as author, publisher, publication date, city of publication, etc, which it then saves. You click the 'Manage Sources' button to add these sources, sort them, etc. You can add in-text citations with the click of a button, and create a works cited page or bibliography with a few clicks. And the best part, it supports multiple styles. The three I recognize are MLA, APA, and Chicago, but there's seven others I don't recognize. To the right of those button is the 'Mark Citation button, which allows you to create those in-text citations.

A boon to students and writers, but a bane to educators and teachers, methinks. I found this after I'd finished my citations the old fashioned way, but I intent to play with it more in the future.

I don't think this feature was in Office 2003, and I haven't checked Open Office 2.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Hmmm... interesting... does it have IEEE style?

Also, I haven't checked but I really hope they've improved cross-referencing. The cross-referencing in Office XP & 2003 sucks big time.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: KillerCharlie
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Hmmm... interesting... does it have IEEE style?

That's what LaTeX is for.

I know how to use LaTex and I still don't like it. Latex makes you jump through hoops, and edit photos in another app vs. drag & drop + crop in word. I only use Latex when it's absolutely required.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Do they have APSA ... ****** APSA formatting that I've never heard of but our prof makes us use!

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: chambersc
Do they have APSA ... ****** APSA formatting that I've never heard of but our prof makes us use!

I wasn't aware APSA had anything unique in the works cited page, only in the body of the work.