A new angle on this election sillyness

Superwombat

Mar 11, 2000
Here's an interesting thought. The election hasn't yet occured. The electoral college will go in on the second wednesday of december and cast florida's 25 electoral votes. They are not bound to vote the same way that the people did, and they can take into account the allegations that some people may have accidentally mis-voted. I have no preference as to who is president, but it seems to me that nationwide the voters prefer Gore. Another option for florida would be to cast thier electoral votes 50/50, which would also give the election to Gore.

In any case, there is no cause for discussion until the REAL election takes place.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The members of the Electoral College are hand picked by their respective parties(Gore wins, Dems go, Bush wins Reps go).

You are talking about a bunch of right/left wing extremists, they will vote the party line.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< but it seems to me that nationwide the voters prefer Gore. >>

Seems being the operative word. The race is essentially a draw, and you could also say that the non-urban areas of the U.S. overwhelmingly support Bush, given the distribution of the states that he won.

I think the Senate needs to vote on the next President. :)

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
the electors in florida ARE bound to vote according to who the state has voted for.

quick fact: only 25 of the 50 states require the thier elctors vote for the states popular vote, and florida is one of them.