A nail in my Tire

JSFLY

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2006
I have a nail in my tires. 15" Yokohamas. I've been driving with them in there for a while, but when I got an oil change today the firestone guy told me I needed a replacement tire because the one with the nail in it might blow out.

What are the chances that I'll have a blowout?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have a reputable tire dealer repair it. They can pull the nail out and put a vulcanized rubber plug in it. You run the risk of a flat tire, otherwise.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Gee, a tire guy told you that you needed a new tire.......who'da figured?? Go to another (reputable) dealer, and see if they can patch it. If nothing else, oftentimes they can add an innertube to a tire that's beyond repair, but still in good shape otherwise, to extend the life of the rubber (sometimes holes are just too big to patch, but the tire's in good shape otherwise).

If you do get a flat while driving, it doesn't take long (less than a minute) of driving on the flat before the sidewalls of the tire are ruined, so I'd get it fixed asap. You might also ask the tire guy what he thinks of using that green goop inside the tire to keep you from getting flats. Most tire guys are cool enough to give you an honest opinion, without looking out just for their own interests.....cuz they know you're more likely to come back to them if they treat you right. :)

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
it depends on where the nail is. if it's too close to the sidewall, they won't patch it.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
And, you should replace in pairs. So i you're going to replace one, expect the second to go along with it.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Discount Tire fixes flats for free.

They won't fix it if it's within 1/2" of the sidewall though.

vizkiz

Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by: EPCrew
it depends on where the nail is. if it's too close to the sidewall, they won't patch it.

Yup. Porsche won't let us patch/plug a tire if the hole is too close to the sidewall (2"). It increases the likelihood that the tire will blowout under hard cornering.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
As said above, if the guy said there's a risk of a blowout, then perhaps the nail is in the sidewall?
I had never thought about using an innertube; :beer: to the person suggesting it. I've tossed a few tires over the years but, now I'm convinced an innertube may have saved me a couple pairs of tires.

Also, you can get the plug kits for a few bucks from an automotive parts store; they're about $5. A bike pump (or cigarette lighter pump) and a plug kit in the trunk will sometimes save you time over putting on a spare tire. However, if you have road-hazard coverage; some are voided unless you take the tire to a service place and have a patch put inside.

I once had an exhaust pipe-clamp puncture a tire. It had been sharpened (apparently) by being dragged on the ground under someone's car until it finally broke off. What I thought was a nail turned out to be a long curved hunk of metal. My tire had just gone flat about a block from a gas station, so I drove to the air pump. After it was pumped up, I heard a slight leak - seeing the piece of metal, I grabbed it with some pliers, pulled it out, and the tire went completely flat in about 1 second. 1am, 25 miles from home; I put what I thought was a temporary bandaid on it- it took 3 plugs to fill the hole. They lasted the rest of the life of the tire.

vizkiz

Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza
As said above, if the guy said there's a risk of a blowout, then perhaps the nail is in the sidewall?
I had never thought about using an innertube; :beer: to the person suggesting it. I've tossed a few tires over the years but, now I'm convinced an innertube may have saved me a couple pairs of tires.

Also, you can get the plug kits for a few bucks from an automotive parts store; they're about $5. A bike pump (or cigarette lighter pump) and a plug kit in the trunk will sometimes save you time over putting on a spare tire. However, if you have road-hazard coverage; some are voided unless you take the tire to a service place and have a patch put inside.

I once had an exhaust pipe-clamp puncture a tire. It had been sharpened (apparently) by being dragged on the ground under someone's car until it finally broke off. What I thought was a nail turned out to be a long curved hunk of metal. My tire had just gone flat about a block from a gas station, so I drove to the air pump. After it was pumped up, I heard a slight leak - seeing the piece of metal, I grabbed it with some pliers, pulled it out, and the tire went completely flat in about 1 second. 1am, 25 miles from home; I put what I thought was a temporary bandaid on it- it took 3 plugs to fill the hole. They lasted the rest of the life of the tire.

The nail doesn't have to be in the sidewall, it can be in the tread but too close to the sidewall.

Your tires are the only thing keeping your car on the road and you drove on a tire with 3 plugs in the same hole for the rest of the tread life of the tire?
Never, EVER drive near me.

JSFLY

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2006
And, you should replace in pairs. So i you're going to replace one, expect the second to go along with it.

Whats the reason behind that?

JSFLY

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2006
Yeh the guy at firestone patched it up for free (though his boss didn't look too happy about it).

Also, they quoted me $80.00 for just one tire + labor to put it in. Is that a good price?

vizkiz

Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by: JSFLY

Whats the reason behind that?

It depends on how worn the tire is. If it's more than 40% worn, then yes, you should replace in pairs. That's what Porsche recommends, and I think Porsches are a little more sensitive to unevenly worn tires than most other cars.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Cattlegod
pay about 3 bucks for a plug kit and do it yourself, it is cake.

:thumbsup: Easy to do and will save ya a couple bucks. As long as the nail is in the tread area and not on the sidewall you should be good.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JSFLY
Yeh the guy at firestone patched it up for free (though his boss didn't look too happy about it).

Also, they quoted me $80.00 for just one tire + labor to put it in. Is that a good price?

Depends on the tire. You'd have to tell what spec of tire as prices are all over the place.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Sell the car and get a new one, it's gone bad.

Yeah, the other day this guy in an Audi had a blowout on the freeway. I stopped to help him, and I was all, "Tell you what, I can help you put on the spare, or I can take this POS off your hands for free. Once they start blowing tires, they don't stop."

Unfortunately he picked the first option:(

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Sell the car and get a new one, it's gone bad.

Yeah, the other day this guy in an Audi had a blowout on the freeway. I stopped to help him, and I was all, "Tell you what, I can help you put on the spare, or I can take this POS off your hands for free. Once they start blowing tires, they don't stop."

Unfortunately he picked the first option:(
Poor guy, he has no idea what he's in for :(

You did the right thing, good deed for the day?