A Million Megabytes

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I told my wife I'd get her a Terabyte drive for her photography once the prices dropped below $200. I picked her up the Samsung F1, which was reviewed as the current fastest on the market, for well under that on Newegg.

Needless to say, I have hard drive envy :(

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I hope you're making backups. That's a lot of data to lose if the drive were to fail.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
I hope you're making backups. That's a lot of data to lose if the drive were to fail.
especially if photography is your business ;)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Yup, we got a second 1TB for Time Machine automatic backup :)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
get another?

Nah, I'm saving up for one of those shiny new 300gb Raptor drives ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I would think if it is for work, you need 2, a back up for the back up. When it involves your livelihood, there is never anything wrong with being too safe, especially with hdd's that can go out so bad. Would suck to find out one day your back up drive took a dump on you, but chances of having 2 back up drives go bad is highly unlikely, or atleast not as likely as having one drive go bad and the back up follow behind it shortly as you wait to buy another one, or feel safe because your using you only back up at the moment.

Just my opinion here considering its what I would do if it was holding information on them that would kill my business at any time if I were to lose all data. Id get a back up for my backed up back up. if it were me and prices were very cheap.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: funboy42
I would think if it is for work, you need 2, a back up for the back up. When it involves your livelihood, there is never anything wrong with being too safe, especially with hdd's that can go out so bad. Would suck to find out one day your back up drive took a dump on you, but chances of having 2 back up drives go bad is highly unlikely, or atleast not as likely as having one drive go bad and the back up follow behind it shortly as you wait to buy another one, or feel safe because your using you only back up at the moment.

Just my opinion here considering its what I would do if it was holding information on them that would kill my business at any time if I were to lose all data. Id get a back up for my backed up back up. if it were me and prices were very cheap.

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive
2. 1TB Backup Drive (Time Machine)
3. 2TB RAID 5 NAS (Gigabit on LAN)
4. Subscription to Mozy.com for automatic online backups
5. Burn each photoshoot to DVD, which is then put into a metal DVD case in the workshop

I've been bitten before with data loss...we don't mess around ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive
5. Burn each photoshoot to DVD, which is then put into a metal DVD case in the workshop

Ah good, the way it sounded it was like you had a business, and 2 drives, one one for the oh shit times, but nothing to back up the oh shit.

OH and lucky bastard with your Zema, rock and roll records, 8 track tapes, Bon Jovi hair style and 1 TB HDD drives.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I see mozy.com claims "unlimited" personal backups for $5/month. Any idea how unlimited it really is? I need about 30 GB

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I see mozy.com claims "unlimited" personal backups for $5/month. Any idea how unlimited it really is? I need about 30 GB

So far, completely unlimited. The only thing I don't like is that it can be slow for large uploads, so I don't use it to back up my digital video projects anymore because it takes too long. But for stuff like photos where you're only updating a few hundred photos at a time, you can just have it do it at night so it doesn't choke your Internet connection during the day.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive

Ah good, the way it sounded it was like you had a business, and 2 drives, one one for the oh shit times, but nothing to back up the oh shit.

OH and lucky bastard with your Zema, rock and roll records, 8 track tapes, Bon Jovi hair style and 1 TB HDD drives.

What can I say, I'm b-b-b-bad to the bone ;)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive

wtf that's freakin sweet!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive

Another shot.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
So far, completely unlimited. The only thing I don't like is that it can be slow for large uploads, so I don't use it to back up my digital video projects anymore because it takes too long. But for stuff like photos where you're only updating a few hundred photos at a time, you can just have it do it at night so it doesn't choke your Internet connection during the day.

Well they cap the Home service at 1Mbps upstream. That sucks. No official cap on data storage, but with that limit and most folks' slow upstream (512Kbps or less) they figure most won't try and store entire 500GB+ hard drives there.

MozyPro has no cap and I can generally push close to 6Mbps which makes it much snappier. (It's also much more expensive, of course.)

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive

Another shot.

mpg?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, our setup is:

1. 1TB Boot Drive

whoa.... holy redundant backup batman!

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Ya seriously. And make sure all those hard drives aren't plugged into the same surge protector. I've seen power surges killing the surge protector, along with everything attached to it...

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Doesn't time machine need a harddrive larger than the original drive? I think its 150% or something.

ASK THE COMMUNITY