A message from the editors of the Toronto Sun to the United States...

Aug 10, 2001
September 11

America does not stand alone

Today is the first anniversary of the terrorist attack on America and, more significantly, of the day America said "enough" and decided to fight back.

President George Bush has made it irrefutably clear that regardless of what others decide, America is going to retaliate.

Finally - after years of being sniped at, ambushed and being on the receiving end.

This is not a time for neutrality or fence-sitting - something the Canadian government prefers to action.

We at the Sun are with the United States against terrorism.

As all Canadians should be.

From the moment of this atrocity a year ago, Canadians stood firm with their American neighbours, even if our government had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the fight.

Canadians were there from the moment those four planes hijacked by Islamic terrorists crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field near Pittsburgh.

From Gander, where Canadians welcomed stranded American airline passengers into their homes, to Ottawa, where they held the world's largest remembrance service for the victims of Sept. 11 outside of the U.S., to New York where they gathered to show support, to Afghanistan, where our soldiers fought alongside the Americans against terrorism.

The focus now is Saddam Hussein. Not Iraq, but Saddam. Amputate the head of the snake, and the venom is diluted.

Yesterday's headlines in Toronto's papers said it all: "Don't go it alone, PM tells Bush" (Star), "Don't act alone, PM tells Bush" (Globe). Wishy-washy. Tentative. Fearful. Un-Canadian.

"Get Saddam," headlined the Sun. Damn right. Get him indeed. And any rogue regime that develops and amasses weapons of mass destruction - biological, chemical, nuclear.

Saddam has already used nerve gas on his own people, the Kurds, and on Iran.

He has to be stopped. The same with others who echo this theme.

America is not perfect - what country is? - but thank God it is our neighbour, and thank God it has the courage to lead and fight back.

Canada is not neutral in this war. Now is a time to stand with our friend, our ally, as Britain does. C'mon, Canada ... show some guts.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
nice ...
French people actually feel the same but the govenment are a bunch of p***ies

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: UberDave
heh... Can Americans join the Canadian army?

how many people do they really need manning that tank????? :D

don't they have enough already?

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
God Bless Canada

Honestly, everyone I've met in Canada the last time I went on a business trip there was very nice. The lady in immigration was a little rude at first, but after talking to her for awhile I found out she gets alot of "Stuck-Up American Businessmen" through Immigration and thought I was going to be as rude as the rest. Once she realized I was a polite guy, she was very polite as well. :)

I remember a long time ago a story about Quebec wanting to become a seperate country. Is that true? I've never been to Quebec, just Ontario.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Ime
God Bless Canada

Honestly, everyone I've met in Canada the last time I went on a business trip there was very nice. The lady in immigration was a little rude at first, but after talking to her for awhile I found out she gets alot of "Stuck-Up American Businessmen" through Immigration and thought I was going to be as rude as the rest. Once she realized I was a polite guy, she was very polite as well. :)

I remember a long time ago a story about Quebec wanting to become a seperate country. Is that true? I've never been to Quebec, just Ontario.

canada has all sorts of devolution problems... the westerners don't like being controlled by ontario, canadiens don't like the power of candians, and i'm sure the maritimes complain too. there was a story about quebec wanting to secede and join the US once, which was pretty funny.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Please do not confuse the Star with the Sun. The Star is a great newspaper. The Sun has pictures of big-boobied girls on Page 2 :D. That said, its a great editorial from The Sun.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Please do not confuse the Star with the Sun. The Star is a great newspaper. The Sun has pictures of big-boobied girls on Page 2 :D. That said, its a great editorial from The Sun.

Is there something wrong with pictures of big boobied girls?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
heh I knew it was too good to be true. :p

Aug 10, 2001
My mistake.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000

UncJIGGA, I don't think you can do that in these forums without a Link to pics!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Ime
God Bless Canada

canada has all sorts of devolution problems... the westerners don't like being controlled by ontario, canadiens don't like the power of candians, and i'm sure the maritimes complain too. there was a story about quebec wanting to secede and join the US once, which was pretty funny.

It wasn't just a story, they actually voted on it, IIRC.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Wait, would the US let them join us? I mean, we'd blatently ignore thier requests for french signs, and they'ed be another Puerto Rico at best.

I think if Quebec did actually seceed from Canada, the president and prime minister would consider them a running gag.

Edit: Brainfart

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
FWIW Saddam didn't use nerve gas, he used Sarin, a blister agent. You would think the editors of a major paper could catch glaring errors like that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, well an editor can say what he wants, but he doesn't speak for me. As a Canadian, I agree to supporting bringing Al Queda to justice, beyond that more than rhetoric will sway me to support some other action.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin
FWIW Saddam didn't use nerve gas, he used Sarin, a blister agent. You would think the editors of a major paper could catch glaring errors like that.
Ummm...Sarin is a nerve gas. And he has also used mustard gas.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: rahvin

Sarin IS a nerve gas.

http://www.epa.gov/swercepp/ehs/firstaid/107448.txt

Use - Military chemical nerve agent.

link two

How it works: Sarin is inhaled and paralyzes the nerve that makes the diaphragm expand and contract. Eventually, the victim dies of suffocation.

link 3
link 4

not that it matters im just bored. :D

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Canadian snipers own everything.

Drop those snipers in Iraq and Saddam would be gone in a week.