A little trick to save $$ at the movie theatres.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
I did this for matrix reloaded.

it just depends if the person checking the stub wants to be a punk or not.

btw I only did it once. I pay student price anyway

kaymin

Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: labgeek
Never realized this place was so filled with thieves...

You probably have gigs and gigs of music, not to mention an unlicensed copy of Photoshop. Shh.

Yeah.

I'm sure none of you have dl'ed mp3's, or illegal software. ;)

Absolutely none of you have ever watched a dl'ed movie or used torrents either.

THINK before you post.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: PhaZe
I did this for matrix reloaded.

it just depends if the person checking the stub wants to be a punk or not.

btw I only did it once. I pay student price anyway

thats what i am saying to "justify". in the theatre its $6.50 for a student discount ticket, and they do honor student discounts where I go. online, it is $6.50 for children or $9.50 for adult + $1.00 for each ticket for the service charge.

so I think I am going to order 2 childrens tickets for $6.50 a piece and the $1 service charge a piece for a total of $15. I mean its basically the same thing as going in there and buying the student price ticket, except i'm still being charged the service charge.

kyparrish

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: jEct2
1. Approach credit card ticket machine instead of waiting in line.
2. Purchase CHILDREN tickets at discounted price.
3. Present the ticket and enjoy.

Why you save $$:
*Stub checkers don't check whether they're adult tickets or children's
*The ticket print from the machine either still prints adult tickets or makes no different ticket than adult's

Go enjoy. :)

Old trick, too bad all the movie theaters by me check that now.

Before fandango actually started scanning the tickets you print at home, my friends would just alter html file to whatever movie we wanted to watch. there were a lot of free movies that year =)

OMG THAT IS GREAT!

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: kaymin

You probably have gigs and gigs of music, not to mention an unlicensed copy of Photoshop. Shh.

Yeah.

I'm sure none of you have dl'ed mp3's, or illegal software. ;)

Absolutely none of you have ever watched a dl'ed movie or used torrents either.

THINK before you post.

According to this logic, if I rob a bank and post about it, no one with an illegal mp3 on their hard drive can say anything? :roll:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So you think it's fair to dodge the service charge? It costs them money too you know.

i assume you aren't talking to me ... because i said i am going to be paying the price of a student price + the service charge, per ticket.

it will be $15 for buying it online as oppose to $13 if i buy it in the theatre.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: alien42
Originally posted by: BDawg
Ah, way to steal. Pat yourself on the back for this one.

if you think that every movie theatre in the US doesnt have either managers and/or employees stealing from them then you are blind. also the theatres dont make squat off ticket sales, they make almost all of their money at the concession stand.

that is a great rationalization

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002

Yes and no... Gigs of music yes... and every one came from a CD I own or was purchased legitimately. I have Photoshop, but it's not unlicensed.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
They don't have an option for student tickets at the kiosk... the senior tickets cost the same so i get those.
i've dont the child thing, but now they print "CHILD" and on different color tickets. i couldn't care less if people consider it stealing.

and that trick is ooooold. i did it the first time i saw one of those kiosks. "child ticket eh? well, i've always been a kid at heart..."

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: oogabooga
I'm not going to say this is immoral : but for those of you saying "the theater charges so much, i have the right to do this to lower the price" that is a terrible line of logic.

No, its really not. Its standing up for the rights of the consumer.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
They don't have an option for student tickets at the kiosk... the senior tickets cost the same so i get those.
i've dont the child thing, but now they print "CHILD" and on different color tickets. i couldn't care less if people consider it stealing.

and that trick is ooooold. i did it the first time i saw one of those kiosks. "child ticket eh? well, i've always been a kid at heart..."

whats the difference on the senior tickets than the normal adult ones? and do you go to AMC theatres? like you said, the student prices are the same as the senior/children ones, its just they don't offer them at the kiosks which is weak.

Feb 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Cool. Thanks. If we had one of those machines, i'd do it. We don't though.

And for all of you holier than thou people saying its stealing, haha. $5.25 Large Soda. $6.75 Large popcorn. $3.45 for a bag of candy that isn't much bigger than the 65 cent candy bags you get in vending machines. Its only fair consumers balance this out.

If you want to "balance it out", wear your jacket into the theatre, bring YOUR OWN candy and cokes and forego their overpriced popcorn. If they charge more than is fair the legitimate answer is NOT to steal, it's to refuse to buy their products until the prices get in line with what IS a legitimate and fair price.

In 99% of the cases, CONSUMERS are at fault for the high prices of items and services. If you didn't leap up and drop $600 on a Geforce 6800 Ultra, maybe they wouldn't actually START at that price.

Jason

Jun 4, 2005
If they're offering you a service, you have the choice to either live with it or don't use their service. Fighting it is retarded.

Consumer Rights is being taken too far, stealing is definitely crossing the line.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Cool. Thanks. If we had one of those machines, i'd do it. We don't though.

And for all of you holier than thou people saying its stealing, haha. $5.25 Large Soda. $6.75 Large popcorn. $3.45 for a bag of candy that isn't much bigger than the 65 cent candy bags you get in vending machines. Its only fair consumers balance this out.

If you want to "balance it out", wear your jacket into the theatre, bring YOUR OWN candy and cokes and forego their overpriced popcorn. If they charge more than is fair the legitimate answer is NOT to steal, it's to refuse to buy their products until the prices get in line with what IS a legitimate and fair price.

In 99% of the cases, CONSUMERS are at fault for the high prices of items and services. If you didn't leap up and drop $600 on a Geforce 6800 Ultra, maybe they wouldn't actually START at that price.

Jason

Jacket? I don't need a jacket. Some baggy jeans work just fine. :)

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: oogabooga
I'm not going to say this is immoral : but for those of you saying "the theater charges so much, i have the right to do this to lower the price" that is a terrible line of logic.

No, its really not. Its standing up for the rights of the consumer.

Stealing is not a right. Your right as a consumer it to go and pay the amount they are asking, go somewhere else, or not see it in a theatre.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
If they're offering you a service, you have the choice to either live with it or don't use their service. Fighting it is retarded.

Consumer Rights is being taken too far, stealing is definitely crossing the line.

So, how is this stealing, exactly? Why does the theater charge a different price for children? They both use a seat. Hell, if anything they should charge MORE for children. They don't eat as much, and they are noisy. :)

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I have the best plan for stealing. Go with a bunch of friends. 2 buy tickets, then 1 comes out with 2 stubs, brings the third in, and then repeat till everyone is in. Then, after the movie is over, go into another screen and see another movie for free (at all the movie theaters around me, you go through the ticket ripping guy then you have access to all 20 screens).

Jun 4, 2005

So, how is this stealing, exactly? Why does the theater charge a different price for children? They both use a seat. Hell, if anything they should charge MORE for children. They don't eat as much, and they are noisy. :)

There's a higher demand. More teenagers go to the movies, thus, occupying more seats. If they're to accomodate these teenagers, they need to charge more.

Seriously, you wonder why the prices are so high? It's your fault, they're losing money(I'm not saying they're not making millions still) so they raise them. You're stealing from yourselves and it's jut going to get worse.

labgeek

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2002

It's called fraud - look it up. You are representing that you are are something you are not in order to get a price you are not entitled to...

They offer children at reduced rates because 1) they know adult(s) will be with them and 2) the little munchins of today are so spoiled, mommy and daddy will buy them anything they want at the concession stand to shut them up. That's their choice. Your choice is to go or not go.