A little problems thats been driving me nuts :(

looseratlife

May 2, 2010
Well .. I don't exactly remember when I had this problem first. It happened in vista and now its haunting me again in windows 7. Its the primary reason why I switched over to win 7. I open my game(any game), go past the titles .. start playing just move few yards .. and the screen goes blank ... only to be restored few seconds later. it happens like that for some 3 ~4 times and then finally pc restarts !!
WTH is wrong with this ? Do I need to change my video card ? any one else facing this problem. I really have a lot of gaming to catch up with :(
I am just downloading some really very old video card drivers to see if it helps.
Right now Iam using the latest drivers 197.45.
Heres my config.

core 2 duo e8400/
p35 gigabyte board(Don't remember the model number and stuff.)
gskill 4gb ram
xfx 8800gt

I did overclock my ram and cpu. if its relevant I will post those specs too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I seem to remember having this issue with my 8800 in Vista as well. But for the life of me cant remember what I did to fix it.

looseratlife

May 2, 2010
@Harvey, Yes , I do have the latest video card drivers I checked it today.
I read it some where that it helps to have a older video card drivers. And it sort of fixed the problem. Now the pc wont restart occasionally, but I still have to deal with the screen going blank.

I used to get this error message in vista that my video card drivers stopped responding and started to work again.
@Temjin Gold, I'm using coolermaster extreme power 600 watt psu.

This rig worked fine for almost two years now. This is the first time something like this has happened. I played so many games on this rig

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Check the Google search link and others for similar word combinations. My search terms were, "xfx 8800gt" windows 7 driver.

If others are having this problem, there's a good chance someone has posted about it, somewhere, and with luck, even found a solution. :)

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As it turns out is wat my firewall or Internet Security program Comodo Internet Security. There is a feature called "Defense +" which looks over my computer and protects my computer from anything that can cause suspicious behavior. Before Windows 7 this feature worked great with no issues. Now with Windows 7 their have been numerous small errors such as asking permission to access harmless files that really are safe. Comodo's Defense + does not run well with Win7 despite the website claiming to be able to run on Win7. After digging threw Comodo's forums I found support for this and with either turning off Defense + or changing a lot of settings, my games can play in fullscreen again.

??

No idea if you are running that, just found it when looking for someone that had a comparable problem. Found a few others but all of them were Steam related, they mentioned running in windowed mode solved the problem. I'm loathe to install that DRM on my latest build so I haven't tested it myself.

looseratlife

May 2, 2010
Thanks Harvey, I googled around and found out that it was either the windows update problem or the display drivers problem. Since I didn't update anything and I dont plan to do in the future after this incident, I figured that it was the display drivers problem. I tried few old display drivers and 175.16 worked like a charm !!

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
YW. Google is your friend. I love it when a plan comes together. :cool:

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Only if you know the correct keyword :) or you could end up hours looking at sites which are totally not related to what your looking for.

Shhh!!! It's a secret!!! You also have to know the secret handshake and the proper incantations. ;)