A liitle help on oc'ing my Celery 633 on my soyo 6ba+III, please

Hardballpete

Oct 5, 2000
Can't get it to run in windows at 865, which is 90mhz bus speed. It does boot into windows, but windows crashes shortly thereafter. Won't post trying the 100 mhz bus speed. Tried raising the voltage but to no avail. Am currently at 791mhz via the 83mhz bus setting and it is stable so far. My old cpu, a 366 celery also would not go past the 83 setting! Any tips would be appreciated.

My system : Built by me

128mb pc100 ram
voodoo banshee vid card
using a slotket, generic I think. Jumpers are set to 66mhz bus
have an Antec super heavy duty heatsink and fan from Compusa

Thanks in advance - Pete

wonder mike

Feb 3, 2000
You may just have a bad overclocking chip on your hands. How much voltage are you using? memory etc..... need to know that stuff if anyone is gonna be able to help ya

Chuffmaster2k

Jul 16, 2000
I agree w/ RoadRunner. The slocket can make a big difference. Most people who have bought the generic have not had any success. I personally have the Abit slocket III, but a lot of people swear by the MSI6905. Only $15 is definitely worth a shot. Good Luck.

Hardballpete

Oct 5, 2000
I thought I read somewhere that the slotket doesn't improve overclocking potential unless your motherboard doesn't auto detect voltage or something?

I slapped on an additional fan on top of the other fan on my heatsink. Like a double decker sandwich and I'm now in windows one step higher at 90mhz with no crash yet !

Any other settings or suggestions?

RoadRuner

Banned
Oct 4, 2000
Just trust me on this one dude. Onvia.com has the msi6905 in for $10 or $11 bucks RIGHT NOW.
go order it.

you'll be suprised that a piece of junk like a slotket CAN make a difference.

I've been there, done that.