a job that requires/rewards long shifts?

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
something in the 20$/h area (or better)

a job with 12 - 14 hour shifts (or longer)

only thing i can think of so far (in my admittedly short brainstorming session), is a firefighter, but i think thats more in the 15$/h range (although im sure that varies by area)

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Electrician. Programmer. Our electricians and programmer put in ~80-90 hours per week and make well over $20/hr. Granted, we are a start up processing plant so a lot of work needs to be done.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Work in a mine out in the sticks.. they fly you in, you work 2 weeks of 14hr days, then fly out, two weeks off.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
If you relocated to the Chicago area, I could hook you up. I dispatch for one of the nation's largest independent electronics retailers.

Our delivery/installer personnel work long hours (some pull 80 hour weeks), and do some hard work (SubZero fridges up 3 flights of stairs). But the top earners make upwards of $100k a year.

It's tough and sometimes it's usually pretty rare...but you find jobs that pay big bucks w/o any experience and sometimes even w/o a hs diploma.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Anything involving law, finances, or stocks. Be a lawyer, banker, or broker, you put insane hours in but can make disgusting bank for that.

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
ok, many of these replies shared a common unintended result, so ill make this a little more difficult:

jobs that have long shifts resulting in less days worked per week! :)

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: ZippyDan
ok, many of these replies shared a common unintended result, so ill make this a little more difficult:

jobs that have long shifts resulting in less days worked per week! :)

As stated before.....Male Gigolo. Depends on how much you're able to charge per hour, as well as how many times you can rise to the occasion.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Nursing - my wife works 12 hour shifts and frequently works 16 hour shifts when they're short staffed. Let's see... she had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off, works M,T, then W,Th off, then works FSS. Then MT off, works W,TH, repeat.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
Wafer fab Maintenance Tech.

Edit: I work a 3X4 12 hr shift. That is 6pm-6am Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and every other Wedensday. That means the weeks I don't have a 3 day weekend, its a 4 day weekend. Built in Overtime,+ Shift Differential + Weekend bonus means near or over 6 figures at the end of the year.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was going to suggest becoming a Union Tradesman in one of the construction trades. In NY, the union jobs pay pretty well, have EXCELLENT benefits, and if it's anything like it is here in Kahleeforneeya, there's usually more overtime than you really want...(at the appropriate time & a half and double time) I worked about 30 years as a crane operator, and the last 10 years I averaged $80K+. The newest contract puts my job at over $35/hr PLUS the benefits package which is worth over $15/hr. Our local and New York City always run neck & neck for the highest wages for Operating Engineers in the country...

HOWEVER, if you are looking for long shifts so that you work less days in a week...this is probably NOT the line of work for you. About every 3 or so years, I'd hit a job that worked 4-10's...at first. Sooner or later, we always seemed to go to 6-10...or 7-10's. (or more)

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anything that requires 24/7 coverage usually has shifts that are long with extended breaks.

dispatchers
oil and natural gas drillers
factory workers
utility workers
firemen
policemen
nurses

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
if you have ANY -- yes ANY -- engineering degree, apply for field engineer with the major oil service companies. long shifts, days on-days off schedule, and 30+/hr pay

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: LS20
if you have ANY -- yes ANY -- engineering degree, apply for field engineer with the major oil service companies. long shifts, days on-days off schedule, and 30+/hr pay

Field engineers don't work less than 5 days a week. They are typically located in areas where the only way to pass time is to work. The company might bounce you around some, but you still aren't going to have many, if any at all, days off.

That said, you make bank.

imported_elwood

Jun 6, 2004
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Corrections officer
12+hr shifts, off every other weekend. Works out to only working 14days/mo. I think the startoff pay where i work (i'm a clerk in the jail) is around $2400/mo