a internal feedback loops in the audio chips

reble

Nov 16, 2013
This is a Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop. I got it from a pawn shop for $100.00 in good working order. This laptop has only 1 audio jack for both the stereo headphone and the boom mic. I use an adapter to separate the jack into seprite stereo headphone and mic input to record old cassette tapes into the laptop, to then burn them to cd's later. The recordings were working great except I had to keep a D battery next to the adapter plugged into the laptop. The audio jack was lose and was losing contact to the mic side. I found out that this laptop still had 2 weeks left to go on the original manufacturers warranty. I called Dell and they sent a tech out with a brand new motherboard. This dude is dumber then my 11 year old nephew and my nephew already knows enough about laptops to replace hard drives and memory sticks. I have been teaching him. This tech tells me that this is an audio out only jack. The users guide that I downloaded for this laptop says otherwise.
Now with the new motherboard in place I am having strange internal audio feedback loops. I can't take the main volume control past 50% without the laptop going into all kinds of crazy feed back loops. I can't audio capture any of this feedback loops with any recording prog or audio capture prog. I can hold my cellphone up to the headphones and audio capture the sounds that way. It doesn't matter what the mic volume or mic boost is set for, both can be at zero and I get the feedback. It also doesn't matter if the mic cross over to the output is checked or not. When the adapter is plug in I get both the internal mic and the external audio source (like the tape player) in both the headphones and speakers. I didn't have this feedback problems with the old motherboard. Just a loose jack, like a cold solder joint on the motherboard. The warranty just ran out Nov-18-16 at 12 midnight. OOOO I tried uninstalling the new sound drivers that the tech installed and reinstalled the Win7 generic sound drivers. No change.
I have been around and around with those indian people in the phone centers that Dell uses from India for tech support. All those people do is read from cue cards. The laptop was still under warranty when the motherboard was changed. The motherboard lasted a few days before the sound board chips started acting funky. I feel that Dell should give me a new mother board free. All those indian tech's can say is the laptop is out of warranty and the motherboard can't be replaced free. I need a way to get ahold of someone here in the USA at the Dell corporate office. Every number I have tried just takes me to those indian phone centers. I am about ready to chuck this one and buy an other laptop. Dell makes good stuff but the online service help sucks.

Steve

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Buy pawn-shop laptop "cheap", even get some warranty coverage by some miracle, and now you want premium support / repair services, after the warranty expired, for free?

It would be far less hassle, to just buy a USB sound card dongle for $5 off of ebay or Newegg or Amazon.

Really.

(doing my best Dave impression with this post)

reble

Nov 16, 2013
Larry you aren't getting the point. The original motherboard had a lose audio jack. That's all that was wrong with the original motherboard. I had 2 weeks left on the original factory warranty. So I had Dell send a tech out to change the motherboard. The new motherboard worked fine for 2 days before the audio feedback problem started. The new motherboard should have a warranty on it. That's why Dell needs to send a new motherboard. Since the laptop it self is out of warranty. I just need Dell to send a replacment motherboard and I can put it in my self.

reble

Nov 16, 2013
Finely after round, and round, and round I go and only God knows were it will stop. I finely found one of those indian's in the tech support phone center in india that understands and speaks very good english. I explained the problem. He didn't give me the standard brush off of "the laptop is out of warranty". We had to run through a few tests on the laptop just to keep his boss's happy. But in the end he told me this still is an open technical issue from back when the laptop was still under warranty. And a new motherboard is been sent to the local tech to install it. And I am going to run the sound board through it's paces while the tech is there this time.

Steve

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
At least here in Norway, the technician/service company is required to give you a minimum warranty of three months on any repairs or service. Not on the PC as a whole, just on the work done and any replaced parts. My impression is that this is standard practice most places - after all, there's just as much chance of a replacement part being DOA or faulty as a new computer ...