A hypothetical Zika-virus question for the anti-abortion crowd

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
No, I'm actually smart enough to interpret plain English correctly as I'm not trying tod desperately justify my own bias via an irrelevant comparison.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/manslaughter

Miscarriage is not intentional, nowris there any reasonable means of exercising "due caution and circumspection" to prevent it.

Even *IF* we completely went with your ridiculous theory and facially wrong legal interpretation, that STILL wouldn't speak to the morality or justification for laws aimed at reducing or eliminating abortion as an intentional act, it would just reflect the unjust nature of enforcing such a law against people when they have no means to avoid not breaking that law. If you criminalize abortion, then you can avoid getting penalized by the action of not having an abortion, whereas if you criminalize miscarriages everyone who engages in heterosexual sex will be convicted with no means of defense.
Procreation wouldnt be murder under prolifer "logic" but Involuntary manslaughter does not require intentions.

No means of defense:
  • Abstinence
  • Vasectomy
  • Tubal Ligation
  • IUD
  • Long term implants
  • etc

:hmm:

Sounds like you just want to make excuses for being irresponsible about the consequences of reproduction.

Or you want to treat fetuses different than born children.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Lol. From your own link, just a bit further down:

You should really read your own links before posting them. It would prevent you from owning yourself like this. Since you thought your link was a credible source, presumably you now agree with us.

You could absolutely avoid manslaughter from pregnancy by not having sex. Again this is a ridiculous idea, but that's because the idea that something is a person from conception is a ridiculous idea. No rational person actually believes it. Your problem is that you're flailing against the consequences of the ridiculousness of embryos as a person instead of just admitting that embryos as a person is stupid and that nobody believes it.

The only thing that is stupid is you thinking that arguing against "life at conception" is an argument against abortion restrictions even if you won that argument. The answer to that question isn't germane to the main issue; it's a slideshow distraction like a question about the definition of a "well ordered militia" isn't an argument for or against gun control laws.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Lol. From your own link, just a bit further down:

You should really read your own links before posting them. It would prevent you from owning yourself like this. Since you thought your link was a credible source, presumably you now agree with us.

You could absolutely avoid manslaughter from pregnancy by not having sex. Again this is a ridiculous idea, but that's because the idea that something is a person from conception is a ridiculous idea. No rational person actually believes it. Your problem is that you're flailing against the consequences of the ridiculousness of embryos as a person instead of just admitting that embryos as a person is stupid and that nobody believes it.

Hey fine then, if i were a pro-lifer id accept your "logic" and would begin acting on it with doctors as my formal target for manslaughter charges. Then exercise "prosecutorial discretion" to not charge miscarriages. Win-win, thanks for suggesting it.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Why do you consider it murder? Why not involuntary manslaughter or reckless endangerment?

I suppose because killing an innocent human being without a very good reason doesn't suggest to me any other term than murder.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hey fine then, if i were a pro-lifer id accept your "logic" and would begin acting on it with doctors as my formal target for manslaughter charges. Then exercise "prosecutorial discretion" to not charge miscarriages. Win-win, thanks for suggesting it.

They are welcome to do that! They will immediately lose because the law doesn't actually consider fertilized embryos as full people and then they will probably be so embarrassed that they will lose their position as DA!

Truly a win-win. Please recommend your master plan to as many as possible, haha. You're so helpful sometimes. :)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
They are welcome to do that! They will immediately lose because the law doesn't actually consider fertilized embryos as full people and then they will probably be so embarrassed that they will lose their position as DA!

Truly a win-win. Please recommend your master plan to as many as possible, haha. You're so helpful sometimes. :)

Sure, let's go with your plan to abort the Zika babies also because society will need to pick up the costs since obviously parents will abandon them in the street. Next up we can start aborting all the Downs Syndrome babies, gays, welfare recipients, or maybe we can go full Chinese and just ensure we kill struck pedestrians while we're at it. Anything to save a buck for the taxpayer, amirite?

BTW, thanks for your support of abortion over the last 40 years and the tens of millions less Democrats the country now has. 15 million less blacks alone here to vote 95% for Hillary, keep up the good work.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Sure, let's go with your plan to abort the Zika babies also because society will need to pick up the costs since obviously parents will abandon them in the street. Next up we can start aborting all the Downs Syndrome babies, gays, welfare recipients, or maybe we can go full Chinese and just ensure we kill struck pedestrians while we're at it. Anything to save a buck for the taxpayer, amirite?

BTW, thanks for your support of abortion over the last 40 years and the tens of millions less Democrats the country now has. 15 million less blacks alone here to vote 95% for Hillary, keep up the good work.

Don't forget the tens of millions of less rightwing filth and other assorted racists.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Haha, as usual once you've lost a discussion you fly into a rage and start ranting about random and unrelated things. So weird.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Gee, no racism detected there at all :p

rant rant rant.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I know for sure how liberals will answer, so this question is specifically directed at conservatives. And don't give just a yes or no answer. JUSTIFY your answer.

Justify this: Would you want your mother to abort you?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Would it cost taxpayers more money if she didn't? Gotta know the answer to that question first.

It's hard for anyone to even respond to you most of the time, as it doesn't seem you even know which direction you are going.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I suppose because killing an innocent human being without a very good reason doesn't suggest to me any other term than murder.

And the definition of a human being includes being born. Funny how Christians worry about a few cells being scrambled in the wombs while millions of children starve to death around the world. Real FUCKED UP morality there.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
And the definition of a human being includes being born. Funny how Christians worry about a few cells being scrambled in the wombs while millions of children starve to death around the world. Real FUCKED UP morality there.

Speaking of fucked up, you just tried to indict Christians for attempting to solve one problem instead of all of them.
Rather than blaming the Christians, why aren't you blaming the people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions? You'd rather kill a child than foot the bill for it, then call Christians fucked up because they don't agree with your self centered greed. I don't think you should ever talk about morality.

This thread is all about establishing the ethics of killing, and many here are deeply offended when it's suggested that killing might be wrong. We dance around the issue by calling a fetus "a clump of cells", because we can't even be honest with ourselves, we can't face the fundamental cowardice were supporting.

This turd has no clean end.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Speaking of fucked up, you just tried to indict Christians for attempting to solve one problem instead of all of them.
Rather than blaming the Christians, why aren't you blaming the people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions? You'd rather kill a child than foot the bill for it, then call Christians fucked up because they don't agree with your self centered greed. I don't think you should ever talk about morality.

You declaring something so doesn't make it that way. A fetus is not a child by any medical definition I am aware of, so why should we accept your definition instead?

This thread is all about establishing the ethics of killing, and many here are deeply offended when it's suggested that killing might be wrong. We dance around the issue by calling a fetus "a clump of cells", because we can't even be honest with ourselves, we can't face the fundamental cowardice were supporting.

This turd has no clean end.

Literally no one believe that a fertilized embryo is the same thing as a fully formed and born human. No one. People often THINK they believe that, but they are lying to themselves and to others. Trying to act like they are the same is simply an act of self delusion.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
And the definition of a human being includes being born. Funny how Christians worry about a few cells being scrambled in the wombs while millions of children starve to death around the world. Real F***** UP morality there.
I wonder what this irrational anti-theist is doing to help starving children. Is irrational anti-theist's proposal to kill starving children to keep them from starving? When irrational anti-theist believes people are just a clump of cells anyway what does he care what happens to any of them?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Justify this: Would you want your mother to abort you?

Oh ya?

How would you like it if your grandmother called your mother on the night you were conceived, delaying your conception by 30 seconds and now you are twin girls. How would you feel about that!

Talk about dumbass questions. :rolleyes:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

SOLVE!??! You must be kidding. Abortion is not a problem, it is a SOLUTION. In the absence of abortion, you get Africa, where nature takes care of unwanted babies through slow starvation outside of the womb. It is an effective manner of population control but extremely gruesome.

Christians are trying to increase suffering in the United States and revert us back to the Dark Ages through their monomaniac obsession against something that the Bible clearly and unequivocally CONDONED. They can't go to their Holy Book for justification but their OPPONENTS CAN (as I have done several times already).