A Heavily Armed Citizenry Is A Virtue

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by jpeyton, Dec 29, 2012.

1. werepossum

werepossum Elite Member

Since you aren't speaking German or Russian (or a lampshade), perhaps you could consider a little less demanding to know why the US is so different from all the other industrialized nations and a little more thanking G-d that it is so. Occasionally in this world, even those with legalized pot and hookers need someone able to get up on their hind legs and stand up to evil on their behalf, whether on a retail or wholesale level. Get out of Copenhagen and you might even find some Danes that understand this point and remember us fondly.

2. werepossum

werepossum Elite Member

Very well said.

3. Fayd

Fayd Diamond Member

the 27th amendment to it was made in 1992...

4. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

And in the same vein, why would you, as a citizen of the US, care what someone in Denmark thinks?

It's called discussion.

5. PingviN

PingviN Golden Member

Still ignoring the "well-regulated militia" part, huh?

6. actuarial

actuarial Platinum Member

You can make the same argument about RPGs, but I doubt you'll find much support for everyone having a rocket launcher behind their front door (even from the NRA).

There is obviously a line to draw when it comes to owning killing tools, the question has and will always be where to draw that line. The argument you are making here is about whether a line should even be drawn, which is just a silly argument IMO and actually hurts your position as it opens you up to such obvious criticism.

7. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

We don't care what you or any other non US citizen has to say as you have no dog in the hunt. Discuss it all you want but don't get butthurt when you're told you have no say in matter.

8. soulcougher73

While i agree with your OP topic, getting the government to not use the Constitution as toilet paper is a while nother ball game. It may as well not even exist anymore the way the government ignores it in its current form. Sad.

9. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

And we civilised people outside the US couldn't give a toss whether some emo US twat on an Internet forum values our input or not.

This is a public, international discussion board. If you want to listen to an echo chamber, I suggest you arrange a meeting down at your local town hall. :thumbsup:

10. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

LMAO!!!! Tell ya what, send a letter to your Congressman and Senators to let them know how you feel about gun control. Oh, that's right you don't have either.

11. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

What a complete non-sequitar.

12. FerrelGeek

FerrelGeek Diamond Member

This :(

13. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Your input on an "International" forum means nothing in the real discussion of gun control in the US but don't let that stop you from blathering on about it.

14. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

So you've never, ever discussed something or held an opinion on something that occurs outside of the US?

15. Hayabusa Rider

Hayabusa Rider Elite Member

Completely unrelated, the title "diary of a dork" sounds promising. I'll have to check that out

16. Veliko

Veliko Diamond Member

Ha ha, please do!

Actually, I unpublished that particular one a month or so back. It wasn't really a book as such, just a collection of humorous emails.

It's not on Amazon any more, but is on the torrents.

17. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

Please don't presume to speak for everyone.

Not having a "dog in the hunt" sure doesn't stop most Americans from opining about various features and flaws in other countries and cultures. It's fine to think that their opinions matter less, but this is a discussion forum and no passports are required.

18. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

Londo has very high requirements as to the form and content of speech he will permit. The conservative brain defect is of such a nature that whatever truth it holds to and for whatever reason, that truth and that truth alone is the centripetal force holding the universe together. All the arrogance that the rest of us may react to is nothing but a secondary effect. They can't help feeling they are perfect.

19. Baptismbyfire

Baptismbyfire Senior member

I agree with you in that many people who advocate gun rights are negligent when it comes to fulfilling their other obligations as citizens of a democratic society. Gun rights is the last line of defense against tyranny, and even then it is questionable whether it is any longer an effective solution in this day and age when the government does not brutally suppress the populace into submission as before, but instead manipulate them more craftily and subtly by bombarding them with propaganda disguised as news and by employing intellectuals willing to peddle lies for the rich and powerful.

While some many cradle their precious handguns and rifles in the name of democracy, I wonder how many of them actually volunteer for various grassroot movements that fight against corporate interests for our basic rights, try to be a more knowledgeable citizen by reading up on different subjects such as economics and politics, or even simply take the time to vote.

Of course we may not be able to fulfill all of our obligations as responsible citizens due to personal limitations and constraints, but I think it is true that many gun owners do overlook more important issues, such as the ongoing battle between the Obama Administration and social activists in which the current administration wants the power to hold American citizens in military prisons indefinitely without trial as long as they are deemed as a threat to America. Isn't that a much more pressing issue than our gun rights?

Even if you were to argue that we need guns for personal protection, and not necessarily in defense against tyranny, I do believe my argument still holds, since I do not believe that the two issues are totally separated. While there will always be people who turn to a life of crime because they want to make a quick buck or are too lazy, increase in crime in many of our cities over the past decades can be attributed to the exodus of jobs to overseas. Now, this is a problem that can only be alleviated by changing the current system, which is more interested in ensuring the big profit margins of companies and in keeping the underprivileged class under control by building even more prisons and increasing the severity of sentences than in creating jobs with livable salary to make our streets safer. Ultimately, if we want to keep our families safe, we need to take actions to change the system, rather than stockpile handguns and rifles hoping to be able to whip it out first in the case of home invasion.

Having said all that, I do understand how many people see gun rights as an important democratic right, and to be honest I haven't made up my mind on the issue of gun control. However, I do think it is worth mentioning again that many people seem to be so vocal on the issue of gun control because it is a more "enjoyable" right than other "painful" rights, such as staying informed and volunteering for your community and local activist movements.

20. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Yet another thread with childish name calling, you must be in your twenties as I know no one in their thirties or forties would act in this manner.

21. Howard

Howard Lifer

Very well-written.

22. Thebobo

Thebobo Lifer

Yea how dare you post! You haven't been here long enough or have 50K post!

23. monovillage

monovillage Diamond Member

All you have to do is read this piece by a Georgetown constitutional law professor to see what the lefties want.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/opinion/lets-give-up-on-the-constitution.html?ref=opinion&_r=1&

A fucking constitutional law professor.

24. MooseNSquirrel

MooseNSquirrel Platinum Member

Dont you dare touch that sacred cow!

25. monovillage

monovillage Diamond Member

Thank you for proving my point Moosie.