A handy man I am not

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I decided to put up a home surveillance system. Put up a couple easy cameras, added a DD-WRT bridge and got everything up an running so I can see it from anywhere. I then attempted to put the rest of the cameras up. I've learned a lesson, when you get irritated take a break. I didn't, not once but twice. I now have two giant holes in my ceiling where I wasn't watching where I was walking closely enough. Boner of the week award goes to me. Repairman comes tomorrow. Got a decent price though, $125 and I buy the materials.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I decided to put up a home surveillance system. Put up a couple easy cameras, added a DD-WRT bridge and got everything up an running so I can see it from anywhere. I then attempted to put the rest of the cameras up. I've learned a lesson, when you get irritated take a break. I didn't, not once but twice. I now have two giant holes in my ceiling where I wasn't watching where I was walking closely enough. Boner of the week award goes to me. Repairman comes tomorrow. Got a decent price though, $125 and I buy the materials.

Me neither...being a homeowner and *not* being a handyman is not what I (or my wife) would call a "good combination". In my defense, I've lived in some sort of military housing since I was 17, and only became a homeowner a scant 4 years ago (am 43 now).

I figure by the time I'm 70 I'll have this stuff down pat.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I recently commented that so many DIY projects end horribly and was told I was wrong. :)

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I recently commented that so many DIY projects end horribly and was told I was wrong. :)

I recently commented that you're a narcissistic twat who can't help but (try to) monopolize every thread you enter. :)

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
OP, I would say I'm surprised you just learned that lesson, but I've had to learn that a few times now.

Today I started work on laying paving stones for a dog kennel, pretty simple right? Except I thought it was 12x12 instead of 10x10, so I bought about 50% more stones than I needed. And I underestimated the weight of the stones so much that I put almost a ton and a half on a cheap 5x8 trailer. Then I cut some shallow ruts through the back field, until I tried reversing into place and the trailer got stuck, then I cut deep ruts as I went back and forth. I then realized my building area was twice as un-level as I thought it was and got a wheelbarrow of dirt from another part of the yard. As I dumped it out, I realized it was actually twice as un-level as the estimate I had just made. Then as I was laying stones I realized they were going to be a real tight fit, when I should have a foot on either side of the pad. By then I'd lightened the trailer enough (down to about 3/4 ton) to back it the rest of the way to the site, at least that part went right. I decided to take my small victory and quit while I was ahead, figure out wtf I was doing and come back tomorrow.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I've learned a lesson, when you get irritated take a break. I didn't, not once but twice. I now have two giant holes in my ceiling where I wasn't watching where I was walking closely enough.

Important lesson to learn. Could have been worse, you could have hurt yourself.

Edit: This post got timewarped and became the first post. boomhower is the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.