A guy can't even say hi to a kid anymore...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
A couple of years ago, I stopped at a rest stop in NJ with my 6 year old son so he could use the restroom. The line of urinals was about full, so my son used the last one available, the 2nd in line from the entrance. I'm standing against the wall, and an older guy next to my son turns towards him and stares down at him as he's going about his business. The guy finishes at the urinal, and rather then leaving / washing his hands / whatever, he walks down the row of urinals (to a dead end) and stands in front of the last one, pretending to use it. Now I'm watching him stare at my son from the end of the line. I take the spot next my son and look right at the guy to let him know that I see him, at which point he decides it's time to leave.

The point is, he didn't see me at first, and probably thought my son was in there alone. If he had made any sort of gesture towards my son after looking at him like that, especially after walking to the back so he could check him out more, I would have put his head through the wall. So yeah, people like that do exist. Honestly, I was tempted to try to find a cop and tell him what happened; God knows what they may have found out about this guy.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Don't touch kids you don't know. That's my rule. I've had plenty of conversations with kids of varying ages and the parents never cared, but I'd never break my rule unless the kid was in danger.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you do it truly innocuously you can probably get away with it, that's been my experience. I'm talking about strangers here, yes, sometimes strangers can communicate, even when one is a kid.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Pretty much. You wouldn't touch an adult like that.

I rewatched the video last night. And actually what it reminds me of is what I do when I'm on some dates with women. I use intimate touches like that to move the "ball" along. Like, getting close so my arm touches her arm or shoulder, putting my hand on her back. Etc. Etc. That's what makes watching that video that much more creepy. He seems to be aware of the end goal of that physical contact.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That was creepy. I don't blame the kids dad for calling him off. I have run across men who behave that way from time to time and it creeps me out every time. it is inappropriate under any circumstances to touch a child you are not acquainted with in any fashion. He's lucky it wasn't me. I carry and if you attack me like that well..... anything could happen. Personally the first time the guy got in my chest I would have just punched him right there.

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
All the father had to do was slide the son over to his right side, so he was between his son and the creep. Do that, stare down the creep for a second, and go about your day.