A group of latinos speaks out against ILLEGAL immigration

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I found this...well, I dont know how, but...it's very interesting. We have been led to believe the latino community is pretty solid in their support of one another, illegal or not. This seems to be an interesting group. No idea how big they are, or their influence, but I hope more will speak out! There are also alot of 3rd party articles linked in the "Press" section of similar groups.

Home page

A few excerpts:

You Don't Speak for Me formed when Col. Al Rodriguez became fed up watching media coverage of the mass protests of April. "Their leaders were saying it was a march for immigrant rights and a Latino/Hispanic movement," says Rodriguez. "I thought to myself, 'Hey, those are illegal aliens, not immigrants!'" Col. Rodriguez began speaking out to others saying, "I'm of Hispanic ancestry and those people are acting like they speak for me. Well, you don't speak for me!"

Our Principles:

1. All immigration should be legal
Illegal immigration hurts everyone, while carefully planned legal immigration helps. We believe in stopping illegal immigration and securing the national and economic future of our nation.

2. Illegal aliens from any country should never be rewarded with benefits or privileges
Becoming an American citizen is a unique and wonderful privilege. The legal route to becoming a citizen is not easy and requires patience and hard work. Those who break the law and come illegally should not be granted any benefits or privileges. No driver's license, no welfare benefits, no free health care, no in-state tuition - simply put . . . no state or federal benefits!

3. No amnesty - no way!
Amnesty is rewarding people who break the law. From past experience we have learned that granting amnesty only leads to increased illegal immigration. Those here illegally are taking advantage of our compassion. We say No Amnesty-No Way!

4. Secure our borders now and fully enforce immigration laws
The best way to stop the flow of illegal immigration coming across our borders is to build a high security fence along the length of our southern border where the majority of illegal traffic takes place. We must also vigorously enforce our existing immigration laws. Local and state law enforcement should be free to enforce immigration laws. Employers who hire illegal workers should be heavily fined and if a pattern of practice is established their owners/corporate officers should be fined and jailed for the offenses and the corporate charter revoked. Identification documents must be limited and strong security measures like biometrics applied to documents of foreign workers. American citizens driver's licenses are now secured by the Real ID Act, non-citizens should be required to present documents not susceptible to fraud and counterfeit, and include biometric security measures - especially for work purposes.

5. Learn and speak English
Learning the language of this country is the very least an immigrant can do. Learn and speak English. Learn the history of this country. Learn the Constitution and civics. Learn and practice the principles that make America the greatest country in the world.

edit: after doing a Google search for "latinos against illegal immigration" it appears the movement is growing. GOOD! I hope we make it undesireable for them, even in their own community, to come here illegally, and hope they will instead apply LEGALLY.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
For a long time the Latino community was against illegal immigration, until they realized that anti-immigration often meant anti-Latino and their attempts to separate themselves from illegal immigrants in the eyes of the government were unsuccessful. You can thank Eisenhower for that.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Our government sees illegal immigration as illegal latino? huh?

Eisenhower's round up of illegal immigrants in the 50s caused many Latinos to sympathize with immigrants, but previously groups like LULAC had supported English education and were against illegal immigration. This is because the round-up led to harassment of Latino-Americans and the deportation of many people who had been here for generations but had never got documented (not uncommon back then). The former is more likely to happen again if we wanted to try to deport them all, it already is happening in fact.

edit: I suppose the latter would also happen, but back then you couldn't really say "Well they came here illegally so I don't care how many generations they've been here," because many had always been living in America and had simply not been documented over the years. So they were sent to a foreign land because they were Latinos without papers, not uncommon in that time.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Our government sees illegal immigration as illegal latino? huh?

Eisenhower's round up of illegal immigrants in the 50s caused many Latinos to sympathize with immigrants, but previously groups like LULAC had supported English education and were against illegal immigration. This is because the round-up led to harassment of Latino-Americans and the deportation of many people who had been here for generations but had never got documented (not uncommon back then). The former is more likely to happen again if we wanted to try to deport them all, it already is happening in fact.

edit: I suppose the latter would also happen, but back then you couldn't really say "Well they came here illegally so I don't care how many generations they've been here," because many had always been living in America and had simply not been documented over the years. So they were sent to a foreign land because they were Latinos without papers, not uncommon in that time.

Fair enough. But that was 50 years ago...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It is an example of how government oppression causes Latino-Americans to unite with illegal immigrants. It is relevant today because Latinos near the border get harassed by authorities and are made to feel like foreigners. There is a clear cause and effect here that is as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It is an example of how government oppression causes Latino-Americans to unite with illegal immigrants. It is relevant today because Latinos near the border get harassed by authorities and are made to feel like foreigners. There is a clear cause and effect here that is as relevant today as it was 50 years ago.

But...latino-americans are less and less uniting with illegals. Thats the point.

As far as oppression goes, well. It certainly isnt the rule of law. The majority of harrassment at the border is by the Minuteman group. Sure there are cases here and there of Border Patrol, but they are rare and far and few between. As far as claiming its some "government oppression", well...I'd love to see supporting evidence. you may not be, but it sounds like youre implying that orders are coming from above somewhere to intentionally intimidate legal immigrants.

anyhow. The point is, again, latino americans who are here LEGALLY, are getting sick and tired of their ILLEGAL brethren.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
.... It is relevant today because Latinos near the border get harassed by authorities and are made to feel like foreigners. ....

How do you know what is going on down here? You got family living near the border or what? Your profile says Washington. I'd guess 70% of the people living around me got Latino blood and we all get along just fine. Not one complaint except some of us aren't as bilingual as we'd like.