A good Resident Evil coming to PC?

Madia

May 2, 2006
Resident Evil 6 is coming to the pc March 22 of this year but from what I've read it's a mess of a game. Before that was the horrible Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. Now, however, there's some hope of a good RE game coming out for the pc with an enhanced HD version of the 3DS Resident Evil Revelations:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/23/not-re6-maybe-better-resident-evil-revelations/

It's also getting ported to the 3 major consoles. My only worry is that the consoles get it on the said release day in the trailer (May 21) but us pc users don't get if for another three months or so.

I'm glad to see this happen since I have an interest in playing RE:Revelations but I'm never going to buy a 3DS. As long as the port isn't broken I'll eventually pick it up.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah, RE6 was supposedly pretty underwhelming. It's amazing how far the Resident Evil franchise has fallen. It started out as an iconic survival horror IP, and then slowly drifted into irrelevance.

I heard Revelations was pretty good though. I'd definitely play a PC port of it.

My only worry is that the consoles get it on the said release day in the trailer (May 21) but us pc users don't get if for another three months or so.

How is that a bad thing? Spending 3 extra months to polish and refine the PC version sounds like a fine idea to me.

Madia

May 2, 2006
How is that a bad thing? Spending 3 extra months to polish and refine the PC version sounds like a fine idea to me.

It's capcom's track record with the RE pc ports that concerns me. When RE4 was finally ported it didn't come with mouse support. RE5 was released 6 months after the console versions and had extremely steep system requirements considering it was just a console port. If the pc version of revelations is delayed I'd doubt it'll be any more polished than the console versions. Right now I'm just hoping for a port that's the same as the console versions.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Capcom has revealed system requirements and screenshots for the PC version of Resident Evil: Revelations. http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/04/02/re-revelations-pc-screens-are-crisp-grotesque

Looks decent to me. You wouldn't guess that it was ported from a handheld. :D

w5c7r0h.jpg

It's capcom's track record with the RE pc ports that concerns me. When RE4 was finally ported it didn't come with mouse support. RE5 was released 6 months after the console versions and had extremely steep system requirements considering it was just a console port. If the pc version of revelations is delayed I'd doubt it'll be any more polished than the console versions. Right now I'm just hoping for a port that's the same as the console versions.

I don't know about you, but RE5 ran flawlessly with max settings on my modest Phenom II 965 + 5770 computer. Like, 60 FPS butter smooth. I think it was a good port. I also remember being able to seamlessly switch between my keyboard and gamepad on the fly, and the game's UI would change accordingly. Most new games still can't manage to do that.

Resident Evil 6 is currently sitting in my Steam library, and I can confirm that it's also a good port. Graphically, it's nothing amazing; but it runs well and controls well, which is the most important.

Capcom's PC ports have actually been very good this generation. Dead Rising 2 looks and runs great. Even better, look at the new Devil May Cry. The PC version is great. I have no reason to believe that the new RE: Revelations won't be well-ported.

(Resident Evil 4 was previous-generation, and yeah... the PC version was garbage unfortunately.)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
By good, would that mean they are re-releasing Resident Evil 0, 1, or 2? I thought Codename Veronica was good too, but the rest seem to be first person shooters.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
As far as I know all the numbered Resident Evil games have been ported to PC. Code Veronica was pretty good on Dreamcast, and even had a first person mode once you beat it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I believe Conan did a segment of this game on his Clueless Gamer bit.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I want to play a game I get to mash 20 buttons together to survive for 6 hrs long. I mean, to the point where my knuckles turn white, and my face turns purple. I also don't want the story to make absolutely no sense whatsoever. In this day in age, story adds no fun to the button mashing madness. I also want to make sure the protagonist is dressed in some kind of S & M gear, to aid in my white knuckle.....button mashing.

Spinpoint

Apr 6, 2013
Played this on the 3DS. It's a great game and would love it on the PC.

They made a FPS out of the game, which is stupid.It not scary,and took any elements out of the game that originally made it good.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
They made a FPS out of the game, which is stupid.It not scary,and took any elements out of the game that originally made it good.:thumbsdown:

You talking about the port, or the original? Because if you're talking about the original it's the closest to the originals than the last two iterations.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
You talking about the port, or the original? Because if you're talking about the original it's the closest to the originals than the last two iterations.

Didn't Capcom announce they were going back to the survival horror genre roots and away from the shooter / action gameplay the past few Resident Evils had.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Pre-order is up on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/222480/

Interesting they chose to price it at $50, yet Resident Evil 6 released at $40. :hmm: I honestly thought it would be the other way around, since Revelations appeared to be more of a "spin-off" title, without a big number in front of it.

Maybe it's because Capcom new RE6 was a mediocre game, so they priced it accordingly. I don't know.

I'll probably grab it. Even though I haven't even finished RE6 yet. I don't know why I'm a sucker for RE games.

Madia

May 2, 2006
Pre-order is up on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/222480/

Interesting they chose to price it at $50, yet Resident Evil 6 released at $40. :hmm: I honestly thought it would be the other way around, since Revelations appeared to be more of a "spin-off" title, without a big number in front of it.

Maybe it's because Capcom new RE6 was a mediocre game, so they priced it accordingly. I don't know.

I'll probably grab it. Even though I haven't even finished RE6 yet. I don't know why I'm a sucker for RE games.

Hopefully greenmangaming will have a discount on the pre order. If not I'll probably wait until the first price drop and pick it up. I'm just glad that it's coming to the PC in the first place, especially the same day that it's hitting the consoles.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd be willing to buy a Resident Evil survival/horror game if it's a good port and offers first person. I like the survival/horror genre, but have zero interest in staring at my character's back (or front, or side) for hours. I want to see the world they have created, not see my character looking at the world they have created.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I'd be willing to buy a Resident Evil survival/horror game if it's a good port and offers first person. I like the survival/horror genre, but have zero interest in staring at my character's back (or front, or side) for hours. I want to see the world they have created, not see my character looking at the world they have created.

What if the character is female and has a really nice ass?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

That sucks then, because you're missing out on some amazing gameplay experiences from the last 3 generations.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If anyone's interested in pre-ordering Resident Evil: Revelations, this is the best deal I could find:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RER/resident-evil-revelations

When you pre-order on GamersGate, as a bonus, you'll receive 14,990 blue coins (~$15) back, which is store credit you can use to buy other games on GamersGate. In addition to that, you'll also get the default 5% rebate, which is another $2 back.

If you use the discount code "elder-geek.com" (without quotes) during checkout, you'll get a 5% discount off the price, bringing it down to $47.

All told, you're essentially buying RE: Revelations for $30. Not bad.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What if the character is female and has a really nice ass?
:D Maybe ten minutes, tops.

That sucks then, because you're missing out on some amazing gameplay experiences from the last 3 generations.
If I don't enjoy it, then it's not amazing game play experiences for me. It's just irritation. But yeah, it does suck. There are games I'd really like to play, but don't because they aren't first person. (I guess I should really say "there are games I'd really like to play IFF they were first person.)

Best case for everyone is as in Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas where players have the choice of deciding which viewpoint they prefer, even on the fly.

Madia

May 2, 2006
There's a demo up on steam now. For those interested, GMG has it 25% off for the next day with the code GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/resident-evil-revelations/

Edit: Just finished the demo. Ultra short maybe 10 minutes. Graphics were good not great aside from a really bad laundry detergent texture (which perhaps failed to load). There's really nothing there to sway you one way or another unless you want to see how it runs on your system or how the keyboard/ mouse controls are.

Last edited:

Madia

May 2, 2006
Some reviews are up:

IGN (7.5):
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/resident-evil-revelations-hd-review

Gamepost (6.5):
http://www.gamespot.com/resident-evil-revelations/reviews/resident-evil-revelations-review-6408773/

I've played around 4 hours so far and I'd agree that the rating would fall somewhere in that range. The game comes off as what it is: a port of a good handheld game, not a AAA title. The character models look pretty good but the textures aren't great. With an xbox 360 controller the aiming doesn't feel slick although with the kb/mouse it does. The partner AI is pretty bad and their attacks seem to do little damage. The enemy AI is average and most boss fights seem to be shoot them more rather than shoot them strategically. Although a boat is a good setting for the game it isn't really scary. The story/dialogue is what you'd expect from an RE game although Chris's partner Jessica is awful. I know that RE games often have sexist outfits for their female characters (particularly as unlocks) but Jessica's one-legged outfit has to be the most absurd I've ever seen.

Despite the negatives I'd still recommend the game although not at full price (I'd recommend waiting for a 66% off sale). It's a good game but doesn't have the feel of a AAA title.