A good choice for C++ books?

dezell123

Banned
Dec 14, 2000
I rented Teach Yourself C++:2nd Edition,Practical C++ Programming,and Learnin Algathorim for C++,are these good choices for me if I wanted to make games? Is there one I missed that I should have if I want to make games?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Game development requires a very, very deep knowledge of C++. First you would need to know your basics - looping, conditional statements, complex data structures (arrays, matricies) as well as a lot of OOP. Then you would learn C++ as it pretains to games.

YayYay

Oct 31, 2000
I have been reading teach yourslef C++ in 21 days and its a decent book. I did have some prior knowledge of programming before I got into C++. As far as writing games thats still further ways down the road. All programmers start out learning the basic syntax.

PositiveK

Banned
May 22, 2001
if ur just starting...who's afraid of C++...i forget who it's by... or anything by OWEN L ASTRACHAN (what a hunk)...um for games... u mostly just use class functions anywayz so those are a good start.

YayYay

Oct 31, 2000
Be careful if you are going to go with that C book kfactor recommends. C++ and C are different languages you mentioned you wanted to learn c++. Some say you should learn C first, I don't think its necessary. C++ is more of a shortcut for C.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
I recently used Problem Solving with C++: The object of programming (second edition) by Walter Savitch in a C++ class that I took.

Sorry I dont have a link for the book.