A good buddy of mine is coming to visit, any recommendations for NYC?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
He's gonna be here in NYC in a week day actually.

We don't need to do anything - we can just go to any bar and that'll just do fine.

Now, with that being said, what are some low key recommendations? (obviously nothing touristy).

1. Any cool bars? A nice rooftop bar? (that's open on Wednesday during the day)
2. We can maybe check out the newly wrapped up Highline park.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Everything I know about NYC I learned from Fort Apache, The Bronx. Stay away from the hookers.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I always try to hit up Patsy's for pizza when I'm in the city:

http://www.patsyspizzeria.us/

There's one on 2nd Avenue & another on the upper west side. I'd say their pizza is my #1 favorite in the world right now, followed by Pepe's in New Haven.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I've been exactly once, which I believe I absorbed enough chutspah via osmosis to say that I'm now an expert.

We did the highline, the nat history museum, and central park (not all in the same day), and had a blast. Do that stuff, get a hotdog, do a little people watching, get drunk. Maybe swing by grand central and time square just to say you did.

Oh and go to the west-facing waterfront and laugh at NJ (they try so hard!)

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
For a walk. I highly recommend the Highline as you highlighted.
Just sitting. The Staten Island Ferry each way to see the statue.
Grand Central is nice but I don't recommend Times Square. I took a rural Ohioan to both to just say it was done. They loved GC and TS broke the fairy tail.
Edit:
We also walked from MofNH through SP to MMofA. Outsiders have no idea how big the city and central park is.
You have to take the subway. If you can, talk it all the way down to Battery Park. See really old station.
Edit:
For a bar hop, I kind of recommend Bleecker Street. But it's been a while since I was there.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'd say visit the Metropolitan Museum of Modern art ... a little touristy but seriously cool!

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'd say visit the Metropolitan Museum of Modern art ... a little touristy but seriously cool!

Yeah, the MoMa is cool, as is The Met. The Met has that roof top bar overlooking Central Park that you're looking for, anyway.

Is your friend an IT techie by any chance? There are some big tech conferences coming up next month (AWS Summit and Datadog DASH) in NYC that he could probably score tickets for.

Come to think of it... if he's showing up on a Wednesday (and just a Wednesday), there might be a good chance he's planning on going to AWS Summit already.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctbaars