A game like RISEN1

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
It's an alright actiony RPG. There's plenty of plot issues and system issues but overall it was fun. Worth $5 if you enjoy those style of games.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. The Witcher series.

For some reason I keep thinking of the Zelda games too but console.... perhaps an emu on PC?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
What aspect of the games did you like? There are loads of single player RPG's that could be considered similar, such as The Witcher series, the Elder Scroll series, the Fallout series (starting from 3 more so). The Gothic series was made before Risen, and shares a similar combat system.

Sep 5, 2016
Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. The Witcher series.

For some reason I keep thinking of the Zelda games too but console.... perhaps an emu on PC?
tnx!

i played morrowind years ago completed 100% great game! (i liked arena too)
i finished oblivion but it s worst than morrowind from my point of view
i have skyrim and i m going to play it :)

i know TW serie, i had a lot of fun with TW1, while tw2 is not a good game from my point of view. i have tw3 too, seems a great game, and i m going to play it too

What aspect of the games did you like? There are loads of single player RPG's that could be considered similar, such as The Witcher series, the Elder Scroll series, the Fallout series (starting from 3 more so). The Gothic series was made before Risen, and shares a similar combat system.

tnx for the advice!
freedom is important in risen, but at the end i like many rpgs. i already bought these 3 series (and i played gothics years ago)

There's also Kingdom of Amalur.

ty, it has a great combat system!

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
tnx!

i played morrowind years ago completed 100% great game! (i liked arena too)
i finished oblivion but it s worst than morrowind from my point of view
i have skyrim and i m going to play it :)

My favorite ES game is actually Daggerfall. It's very immersive if you let your imagination drive the experience. It's a bit of a pain to run it on modern a PC and the game is quite buggy so look for community patches and quick save often if you do ever play it.

Skyrim was better than Oblivion but Morrowind was the better than both IMO.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Risen is a 3rd person Action RPG, a genre that was extremely popular in the early 2000s. there have been countless games with a single hero, over the shoulder camera.
the older ones are the Gothic series (1-4), SW:KOTOR (1-2), Two Worlds (1-2), Fable series (1-3), Legacy of Kain series, Die by the Sword, Rune (if you don't mind 2001 graphics).
newer ones are Dark Souls series, Dragon's Dogma, Lords of the Fallen.

these are just the one's i'm familiar with, there are probably lots more worth checking out.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Try the Dragon Knight Saga, Divine Divinity 2. or whatever it's called. Those games have way too many names, but that one is pretty fun. You can turn into a dragon, which isn't as great as it sounds, but it's not horrible. Pretty fun actiony/skill-based RPG with a not-horrible storyline. Still doesn't look completely awful, either.

Divinity 2. I really enjoyed it. It's an action RPG with lots of open space and a pretty cool story, where you can walk around as a person or turn into a dragon and fly around as one. Lots of freedom and overall fun to play and finish (including the expansion).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219780

Ah yeah, that's the one. I'm late again!

Sep 5, 2016
Risen is a 3rd person Action RPG, a genre that was extremely popular in the early 2000s. there have been countless games with a single hero, over the shoulder camera.
the older ones are the Gothic series (1-4), SW:KOTOR (1-2), Two Worlds (1-2), Fable series (1-3), Legacy of Kain series, Die by the Sword, Rune (if you don't mind 2001 graphics).
newer ones are Dark Souls series, Dragon's Dogma, Lords of the Fallen.

these are just the one's i'm familiar with, there are probably lots more worth checking out.

i played Two worlds 2 and it s good, i played gothic 1/2 many years ago, i thank you for the good suggestions,( Die by the sword and rune), btw i love older 2d rps, but not too much the old 3d one :(

edit:

at the end, i think i m going to buy Two worlds 1 too :)

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Gothic 3 was good too, though a bit buggy with a community mod to fix them.

Gothic 4/Arcania is trash, made by another company after being sold.

Sep 5, 2016
Gothic 3 was good too, though a bit buggy with a community mod to fix them.

Gothic 4/Arcania is trash, made by another company after being sold.

ok, i played G3 a little, but is it actually good also without unofficials mods?? i don t use em, never :(

so you say : skip arcania ?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
ok, i played G3 a little, but is it actually good also without unofficials mods?? i don t use em, never :(

so you say : skip arcania ?
The game with the community mod is the same game as the normal, but they fixed many bugs, so it won't crash as often. You might not even be able to play it without the mod. It's needed.

And yah, don't bother with Arcania. It's not made by the same dev's and it was butchered.