A foward i got from a friend about US foreign policies

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I usually wouldnt think of posting a fowarded email, but what the hell. Lemme know what you guys think, not that i care b/c im not the author..........

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Provided by Joe Galloway, author of We Were Soldiers and is posted
as an item of possible interest. This one is definitely NOT tongue in
cheek. Sig, the author, was a teen-aged Marine who marched and
fought as a rifleman to and from the Chosin reservoir in Korea in 1950.
He switched to the Army, and served as a Special Forces officer
in Vietnam. After Vietnam he joined the CIA, and went back to Korea.
He's been there, done it, and has some specific thoughts on countries
that don't "like" us.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you aren't interested in the ramblings of an old man, please delete
now. If you're still there, pull up a chair and listen.

Is there anyone else out there who's sick and tired of all the polls
being taken in foreign countries as to whether or not they "like" us? The
last time I looked, the word "like" had nothing to do with foreign policy. I
prefer 'respect' or 'fear'. They worked for Rome, which civilized and kept
the peace in the known world a hell of a lot longer than our puny two
centuries-plus.

I see a left-wing German got elected to office recently by campaigning
against the foreign policy of the United States. Yeah, that's what I
want, to be lectured about war and being a "good neighbor" by a
German. Their head honcho said they wouldn't take part in a war
against Iraq. Kind of nice, to see them taking a pass on a
war once in while. Perhaps we needed to have the word "World"
in front of War. I think it's time to bring our boys home from
Germany. Outside of the money we'd save, we'd make the Germans
"like" us a lot more, after they started paying the bills for their own
defense.

Last time I checked, France isn't too fond of us either. They sort
of liked us back on June 6th, 1944, though, didn't they? If you don't
think so, see how nicely they take care of the enormous American
cemeteries up above the Normandy beaches. For those of you who've
studied history, we also have a few cemeteries in places like Belleau
Woods and Chateau Thierry also. For those of you who haven't
studied it, that was from World War One, the first time Europe screwed
up and we bailed out the French.

That's where the US Marines got the title 'Devil Dogs' or, if you still
care about what the Germans think, "Teufelhunde". I hope I spelled
that right; sure wouldn't want to offend anyone, least of all a German.

Come to think of it, when Europe couldn't take care of their Bosnian
problem recently, guess who had to help out there also. Last time
I checked, our kids are still there. I sort of remember they said
they would be out in a year. Gee, how time flies when you're having fun.

Now we hear that the South Koreans aren't too happy with us either.
They "liked" us a lot better, of course, in June, 1950. It took more
than 50,000 Americans killed in Korea to help give them the lifestyle
they currently enjoy, but then who's counting? I think it's also time
to bring the boys home from there. There are about 37,000 young
Americans on the DMZ separating the South Koreans from
their "brothers" up North. Maybe if we leave, they can begin to
participate in he "good life" that North Korea currently enjoys.
Uh huh. Sure.

I also understand that a good portion of the Arab/Moslem world
now doesn't "like" us either. Did anyone ever sit down and determine
what we would have to do to get them to like us? Ask them what
they would like us to do. Die? Commit ritual suicide? Bend over?
Maybe we should follow the advice of our dimwitted, dullest knife
in the drawer, Senator Patty Murray, and build more roads,
hospitals, day care centers, and orphanages like Osama bin Laden
does. What with all the orphans Osama has created, the least he
can do is build some places to put them.

Senator Stupid says if we would only "emulate" Osama, the
Arab world would love us. Sorry Patty; in addition to the fact
that we already do all of those things around the world and have
been doing them for over sixty years, I don't take public
transportation, and I certainly wouldn't take it with a bomb strapped
to the guy next to me.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not in favor of going to war. Been there,
done that. Several times, in fact. But I think we ought to have
some polls in this country about other countries, and see if
we "like" THEM. Problem is, if you listed the countries, not only
wouldn't the average American know if he liked them or not, he
wouldn't be able to find them. If we're supposed to worry about
them, how about them worrying about us?

We were nice to the North Koreans in 1994, as we followed the
policies of Neville Clinton. And it seemed to work; they didn't
re-start nuclear weapons program for a whole year or so. In the
meantime, we fed them when they were starving, and put oil in
their stoves when they were freezing.

In a recent visit to Norway, I engaged in a really fun debate
with my cousin's son, a student at a Norwegian University.
I was lectured to by this thankless squirt about the American
"Empire", and scolded about dropping the atomic bomb on the
Japanese. I reminded him that empires usually keep the stuff
they take; we don't, and back in 1945 most Norwegians thought
dropping ANY kind of bomb on Germany or Japan was a good idea.
I also reminded him that my uncle, his grandfather, and others
in our family spent a significant time in Sachsenhausen concentration
camp, courtesy of the Germans, and they didn't all survive. I further
reminded him that if it wasn't for the "American Empire" he would
probably be speaking German or Russian.

Sorry about the rambling, but I just took an unofficial poll here at
our house, and we don't seem to like anyone.

Happy New Year

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Nice perspective, and good words. Be prepared, however, for a blistering onslaught from ATOT's ultra-liberal looney bin..

Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Nice perspective, and good words. Be prepared, however, for a blistering onslaught from ATOT's ultra-liberal looney bin..

yup. I am gonna grab some food...this could be a long one.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: FallenHero

AWESOME, i cant wait :)

EndGame

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2002
Actually, that is a very good opinion based article! yeah, I'm sure all the "ultra liberals" and "peaceniks" could tear it apart for one of their reasons or another, but why? it's the guys opinion and he is entitled to that!:)

As far as my position, I tend to agree with much of it, but then, I too am older than the majority here. I tend to believe this though, when i was young, I was a LOT more liberal minded. I mean like 15 to 25. Then when i actually knew more and had seen more about how the world is, and how things really work, I tended to moderate. I also believe everything is cyclical. Right now disliking the US is the "in thing". This is NOT the first time this has happened either! The US warned Europe before both WWI and WWII not to appease the Germans. Did they listen then, hell no! The US also saw "Korea" coming at the end of WWII, none of our "allies" thought it would ever come to actual action though, and they were to busy rebuilding/basking in the victory post WWII. The US was busy too, while we had by far the breatest impact on defeating japan, I've seen most liberals bost that germany would have been defeated without the US's help. Tell me, why is it then that the US had by far the most invested in rebuilding West germany post WWII? Of course a lot had to do with the Russians, but, whose "back yard" were they in? Ours or theirs? Germany cried for more assistance rebuilding, but the only ones whom really had a impact, and whom footed the bill were again, the US!

Well, now the world, or a lot of it once again is in a mode to dislike/disbelieve what the US Gov. is saying. Who knows, perhaps this time we'll be wrong, but what if we're not? late history, technology and information seems to be weighed in favor of the us being correct once again, but who knows. I know I don't, but have to hope what we are doing once again ends up being correct! It does seem though that many countries are very quick to "jump on the bandwagon" against the US.

Peetoeng

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: FallenHero

Flame suit on? checked.

In democracy, discourse even for strenuously held (perhaps ideological) opinions should always be welcomed and carefully considered. The email listed sacrifices US did for other nations. They were unrivaled in history, in deed. Ultra-liberals may provide examples damages done by US foreign policies meddling with internal affairs of foreign countries in the 60s thru the 70s such as helping install western-leaning dictators. But I don't think keeping score would help find a solution acceptable to all parties involved. If South Korea simply agrees on every US foreign policy because it feels indebted, then you are limiting your options. SK and Japan has more equitable security interest in the region.

I like Sec. Powell's perseverance in diplomacy. However heated a dicourse is, the main objective is to find a resolution acceptable to everyone. Simply trumping someone's opinion because you feel he's indebted to you wouldn't do any good. And not to mention the generation gap: young Sven in Oslo and Kim in Seoul may not share the same sentiment toward the US as their older generation.

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
He switched to the Army, and served as a Special Forces officer
in Vietnam.

---

didn't read the story yet, but wasn't he a reporter in we were soldiers?

jt

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: EndGame
I've seen most liberals bost that germany would have been defeated without the US's help. Tell me, why is it then that the US had by far the most invested in rebuilding West germany post WWII? Of course a lot had to do with the Russians, but, whose "back yard" were they in? Ours or theirs? Germany cried for more assistance rebuilding, but the only ones whom really had a impact, and whom footed the bill were again, the US!
ummm... not quite, but ok. if you really think thats how the cold war began, you're entitled to it.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
It would be awesome to have a time machine just for a little while. If I had one and could only use it once, I might seriously consider proposing that we:

Pull ALL US foreign assistance and military protection from every country from whom a palpable amount of anti-US whining and complaining comes. Then watch the show, as despots, fascists, extremists, and 19th century collectivists who characterize 20th century US foreign policy as "outdated thinking" rush to fill the void, just as it was during the last 50 years of the 19th century and the first 60 years of the 20th century.

Does the rest of the world have the absolute right to self-determination if it invariably means they will f_ck it up royally, wind up enslaving themselves, giving rise to a tyranical world aggressor, which we will be forced to put down at an enormous cost of American blood and debt?

After leaving Europe largely to its own devices, and having no other choice but to go back TWICE in 30 years to save this bumbling continent from itself, with yet another potentially dangerous ideology festering (the USSR) and positioning itself for world influence, I think we decided the answer to this question was "no"; the world does not have the absolute right to self-determination if the end result of that self-determination always seems to be that another barbarian will soon be at our gate.

Maybe the world is a different place now, but with the ingratitute and disturbingly short-memory which seems to be a staple of humanity, I doubt it. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MedicBob
No comments, I only agree with the author.:D

Word.

I say go "closed borders". Bring ALL over seas men back. If what is going on in the world doesnt directly impact America, then we dont do squat. NK has nukes? Good for them. So do we. Iraq took over another country? Sucks to be them. Ethnic cleansin in Eurpoe? Well, better get someone to deal with it. Someone else though.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Be prepared, however, for a blistering onslaught from ATOT's ultra-liberal looney bin

Aren't you naive?

He neglects to consider or comment on any of the negative situations that are a direct result of the US playing World Police.
He's listed the highlights. What about the other side of the spectrum?

Whenever the UN can't decide on an appropriate resolve to a situation, which is often impossible, because - Russia has a slightly different view on things and is against ?it? - and the Europeans can't solve European conflicts, the US takes matters into their hands to protect the "free" world from evil.

The good doesn't justify the bad.

What about Mai Lai in Vietnam, where conclusive photos and testimonies by U.S. servicemen told the tale of civilians, women, children and bystanders are killed for no other reason than being Vietnamese and suspected of being Vietcong.

Same thing in Korea. U.S. commanders had ordered units retreating through South Korea to "shoot civilians" as a defense against disguised enemy soldiers.

Panama... Gen. Maxwell Thurman even said that over 3/4 of the kills in Panama were non combatants. Some of the victims had been shot in the back of the head, execution style. Many mass graves within Panama are located within the U.S. military controlled zone and are not accessible still.

etc etc etc..

Now before everyone nails me as anti-American, I'm not, regardless of what you think. I have American friends, and I believe that we are much alike, but you can't ignore the atrocities created by the US. The US only knows how to solve problems one way.
Conflicts between people of different culture, history, and religion cannot be solved using only military force. True peace can?t be forced.

I respect the US for playing the role they are forced to play. The article was excellent, but I'm sure even he knows he's turning a blind eye on things that should never be forgotten. In times like these, I?m glad to know that there is a country that can take ?leaders? like Saddam and Osma to task.

Flame away.