A few questions for vegetarians and other diet conscious people

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I'm thinking about dropping meat, breads and fried foods from my diet for about a week or two. I want to see what type of an effect it will have on my body. But I'm at a loss as to what I should be eating. I know I'll need to eat more vegetables and fruits, but what do I eat to make up for the protein since I won't be consuming meat?

Also I'm curious about which vitamins and supplements I should take.

my stats are:
age - 30
height - 6'2 - 6'3
weight - 275 (yeh I'm huge, I look like a retired football player)

Thanks for any tips

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I would recommend purchasing a vegetarian book to answer all of your questions, so you can do it the right way if you are going to become a vegetarian. For a quick answer, there are many non-meat protein sources. Legumes(beans), tofu(made from soy beans), gardenburgers, milk, cheese, are just a few sources. Next time you are in the grocery store, look for a vegetarian section. They have all kinds of veggie meats, like hamburgers and hotdogs. Good luck.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Targaryen
why are you dropping bread from your diet?

I just recently found out that I'm diabetic so I need to avoid carbs and starchy foods

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
hey if you're trying to lose weight then don't give up meat! Now that you can't eat carbs you should be set. Just eat a lot of meat, eggs, poultry, fish, etc...keep carbs down to about 30 grams a day....60 grams if you work out[30 during day 40ish after workout]. Eat lots of raw veggies, eat only bread that is rough enough to sand metal. avoid anything that is high-carb and high-fat.

Don't give up meat, it's the greatest!

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm thinking if you're diabetic, you should work out dietary changes with your doctor so you don't friggin die.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You're diabetic but dropping meat? That don't make much sense. Meat = 0 carbs. You're diabetic...the sugar and starch si what makes you fat, not the meat.

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
you can protein from lentils...........lots of lentils

lentil might seem nasty, but it depends on what you do with them

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Arkitech, I'm sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with diabetes, it runs in my family :/

My dad might be doing an experimental cure where they take sluffed off cells from a healthy person's pancreas and put it in your kidneys and that makes insulin, I think it's in very early stages of becoming a cure!

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My dad might be doing an experimental cure where they take sluffed off cells from a healthy person's pancreas and put it in your kidneys and that makes insulin, I think it's in very early stages of becoming a cure!

Keep us informed..

<<<Diabetic too :(

The diet the doctor gives is great..I lost like 20 lbs. the first 6 months..Didn't give up meat..Just all the other good stuff..I am too weak to stay with it..I love carbs I guess..:(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
You might consider "substitution". Substitute fresh fish (poached/broiled - not fried) for red meat .

Cheese can be "low fat" or just use regular cheese 1/2 - 1/2 with "tofu" cheese.

Eats lots more "live" food - salads (but watch the hi calorie dressings), vegetables and fruit (but go easy on the fruit because of the higher-sugar content).

If you eat bread, only WHOLE-grain - not "white".

And dumping the "fried" foods is healthful. Also read the labels - sugar is often disguised.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Targaryen
why are you dropping bread from your diet?

Bread, rice, potatoes and pastas are very high in carbs. Carbs are good and bad. If you are very active, then lots of carbs are great for you. They will give you lots of energy that you body will consume through the activity. If you are not very active, then lots of carbs are bad for you. If carbs are unused (through activity), then they become fat.

If you want to lose weight, there is no reason to give up meat. Chicken, fish and even red meat are all good for you (depending on how you prepare them and how frequently you eat them). If you grill a chicken breast and throw it on top of a good salad, then it will help to fill you up, help to give the salad a little more flavour and not give you unnecessary calories.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
I'm thinking if you're diabetic, you should work out dietary changes with your doctor so you don't friggin die.

Totally agrred. Do not make your own dietary plan without taking to your doctor or at least a dietary expert to make sure you are getting what you need to survive.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Legumes and lentils are your friends!

Hey how do you find out if you're diabetic anyway? It doesn't run in my family, but I have all the risk factors (sedentary lifestyle, bad diet habits, overweight etc.)

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I take vegetarian multivitamins from GNC and 3 servings of EAS Simply Protein shakes per day. If you wanna be a vegetarian, I would recommend slowly phasing into that diet.

Good luck!

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I'm 27, I've never eaten meat in my entire life. I'm a little over 200 lbs and 6' tall. I've never taken a vitamin suppliment. I've never had a problem with diet issues.

If you want to drop dairy foods I'd suggest you study the Atkins diet. You can start here.

Good luck to you, it's actually quite easy. The hardest part (I'd guess) is changing habits.