A few questions about an Old handgun

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My Dad's dad was a deputy sheriff in Tulsa way back in the day. And I ended up with his two old police guns. The newer is a .38 Special Smith and Wesson (I think, it says Smith & Wesson on the side but according to S&W's website it should also have a city name on it, which my gun doesn't). My questions are, first do I need to register this gun if I plan on shooting it every now and then, and if so how do I do that? Second is there any way to figure out if this is a real Smith & Wesson? Also I was wondering if there was any way to find out info about a gun using its Serial Number or Model number (because I have both of those). And finally, before today the gun hadn't been shot since probably 1979, before shooting it today I cleaned it very well and it shot great, is there anything else I need to do to it?

BTW: In case you haven't been able to tell I don't know much about guns. I have had a few gun safety classes, etc. from boy scouts but thats about it. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
if you have it already and nobody is standing there saying hay register that gun your good to go.

Originally posted by: Zorba
Well how do I know if I absolutely have to?

you rarely will have to. you will know when if you have to.

As for the serial number, some of the digits will indicate where, when it was made, and by whom. Take it to a gun shop and have them check it out for you.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
If you are worried about the guns function, when you bring it to the range have somebody knowledgable at the range look it over. More than likely it's just fine.

Originally posted by: Crazyfool
If you are worried about the guns function, when you bring it to the range have somebody knowledgable at the range look it over. More than likely it's just fine.

if he REALLY wants to be sure, take it to a gunsmith, but for a quick check, someone at the range will be fine.

HorizonSeeker

Dec 11, 2002
1) origin

take down the serial number, call Smith & Wesson, ask them if they can verify it for you. if you are willing to spend some money, S&W will issue a letter of authenticity which has original information on the gun, such as barrel length, date of manuf., place shipped to, then you can see if the gun has been modified over the years.

2) function
To be sure, take it to a gunsmith, shouldn't cost too much. I would never trust the range, just because they have too many "experts" in there that thinks they know all the answers without knowing the questions. with an old gun, it might be okay for the first few shots, but you have to take wear&tear into consideration as well.

3) registration
this is a tricky issue. understand that I in no way am saying this is what you should do, I post this ONLY as information. depending on the date of manuf, it is possible that this gun was not registered if it was old enough (provided it was not his issue gun). in such case, you may very well be able to slip under the radar if you elect not to register it in your state. of course, if the gun is ever stolen or you want to sell it, you will run into problems.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: HorizonSeeker
1) origin

take down the serial number, call Smith & Wesson, ask them if they can verify it for you. if you are willing to spend some money, S&W will issue a letter of authenticity which has original information on the gun, such as barrel length, date of manuf., place shipped to, then you can see if the gun has been modified over the years.

2) function
To be sure, take it to a gunsmith, shouldn't cost too much. I would never trust the range, just because they have too many "experts" in there that thinks they know all the answers without knowing the questions. with an old gun, it might be okay for the first few shots, but you have to take wear&tear into consideration as well.

3) registration
this is a tricky issue. understand that I in no way am saying this is what you should do, I post this ONLY as information. depending on the date of manuf, it is possible that this gun was not registered if it was old enough (provided it was not his issue gun). in such case, you may very well be able to slip under the radar if you elect not to register it in your state. of course, if the gun is ever stolen or you want to sell it, you will run into problems.

I think this advice is probably excessively cautious. Most states have no registration requirement, and Oklahoma, where Zorba lives, does not have one. Look here for a synopsis of Oklahoma gun laws.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
why dont you want to register it?

I have no problem registering it if I need to, I just wasn't sure if I needed to. And if I do, I don't know how to exactly. Also I am not quite old enough yet to register a handgun (age here is 21 I believe and I am only 19).

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: HorizonSeeker
1) origin

2) function

3) registration

I've always been told that it was his issued gun, but this was by my mom who knows nothing at all and hates guns. So who knows if it really was his issued gun.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

I have no problem registering it if I need to, I just wasn't sure if I needed to. And if I do, I don't know how to exactly. Also I am not quite old enough yet to register a handgun (age here is 21 I believe and I am only 19).

You are not even allowed to posess a handgun unless you are 21. Give it to your dad. Depending on the state upon death for a child to inherit firearms the same background check must be done as if you were purchasing it new.

Originally posted by: tnitsuj

You are not even allowed to posess a handgun unless you are 21. Give it to your dad. Depending on the state upon death for a child to inherit firearms the same background check must be done as if you were purchasing it new.

BTW, most ranges wont let you shoot either unless you are with your parent and you both have valid firearm owners cards (FOID in IL, not sure about your state)