A few pics of my newly acquired BFG 9800gtx

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
If you are going to buy a new card the 9800GTX seems to be the best one to get.

Although I really did like the cooler on that ole 7900GTX. I really have to get me one of those.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: munky
Originally posted by: tigersty1e

Of course you could also overclock the GTX and have card that's better than the OC'd GTS.

I don't get why people mention overclocking a lower card to get the same performance of the current card when you would also be overclocking the current card to get better performance.

The only exception to this is possibly the 2900pro ---> 2900XT.

There's no guarantee that the gtx will OC higher than the gts. Clock for clock these cards will have identical performance.

The memory should for sure. Contrary to reports that this card is identical to the G92 GTS, the GTX does have the 12 layer vs 8 layer PCB, 5 phase power compared to 4 phase (not sure on the exact #, but GTX has more), extra 6-pin connector, higher stock voltages in BIOS, faster memory modules (8ns Samsung, same as the Ultra). The core itself also has a different designation #, G92-450 I believe compared to G92-400 on the GTS. It might be nothing more than binned cores or even a later production run but usually that's all you need with CMOS chips to gain an edge in clock speed. Typically these factors contribute to a faster part as a whole when you look at other parts (like motherboards, memory, cpu, gpu etc).

Yes, and also the GTX has 24 ROPs opposed to 8800 GTS 16 ROPs.

you sure?

richuk: crank up the core on that card! hopefully it came with the higher Gpu Vcore like the 8800 series BFG cards did.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Having never used this ATI Tool before, when scanning for artifacts are you supposed to only see a static image with a timer at the bottom left?

If I click on ?show 3D view?, I do get a moving object with an FPS indicator, however.

I take it this is normal? if so, which is best for testing your OC?

Thanks.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: jaredpace
Originally posted by: chizow

Of course you could also overclock the GTX and have card that's better than the OC'd GTS.

I don't get why people mention overclocking a lower card to get the same performance of the current card when you would also be overclocking the current card to get better performance.

There's no guarantee that the gtx will OC higher than the gts. Clock for clock these cards will have identical performance.

The memory should for sure. Contrary to reports that this card is identical to the G92 GTS, the GTX does have the 12 layer vs 8 layer PCB, 5 phase power compared to 4 phase (not sure on the exact #, but GTX has more), extra 6-pin connector, higher stock voltages in BIOS, faster memory modules (8ns Samsung, same as the Ultra). The core itself also has a different designation #, G92-450 I believe compared to G92-400 on the GTS. It might be nothing more than binned cores or even a later production run but usually that's all you need with CMOS chips to gain an edge in clock speed. Typically these factors contribute to a faster part as a whole when you look at other parts (like motherboards, memory, cpu, gpu etc).

Yes, and also the GTX has 24 ROPs opposed to 8800 GTS 16 ROPs.

you sure?

richuk: crank up the core on that card! hopefully it came with the higher Gpu Vcore like the 8800 series BFG cards did.

No, I'm not. I've already admitted my mistake.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: RichUK
Having never used this ATI Tool before, when scanning for artifacts are you supposed to only see a static image with a timer at the bottom left?

If I click on ?show 3D view?, I do get a moving object with an FPS indicator, however.

Thanks.

I do it like this. I let the cube spin for 10 minutes at least, so that the card reaches the maximum temperature. After that I press "Scan for artifacts" and let it run for 10 minutes. If it is stable I increase the clocks further and rerun the test and so on until I run into trouble. When I do get artifacts, I'll lower the clocks with 20 mhz or so and then run a "mega" scan for an hour. If it passes one hour I think it is already some 90 % stable.

Another thing is to increase the clocks independently. Overclock the GPU first, then the shaders and then the memory. When they've all passed the one hour test you can throw games in the card and see if it does give you problems. If it doesn't then it should be perfectly stable. ;)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks.

I do it like this. I let the cube spin for 10 minutes at least, so that the card reaches the maximum temperature. After that I press "Scan for artifacts" and let it run for 10 minutes. If it is stable I increase the clocks further and rerun the test and so on until I run into trouble. When I do get artifacts, I'll lower the clocks with 20 mhz or so and then run a "mega" scan for an hour. If it passes one hour I think it is already some 90 % stable.

Another thing is to increase the clocks independently. Overclock the GPU first, then the shaders and then the memory. When they've all passed the one hour test you can throw games in the card and see if it does give you problems. If it doesn't then it should be perfectly stable. ;)

Ahh, cheers.

Was just having a quick play and ramped up the core clock (linked with shader clock) to 830Mhz. I then ran the ?scanning for artifacts? test. It seemed ok for a while, but I then started to see random yellow specks popping up, so I set it back to default (675Mhz, I believe).

I think I?ll have a quick go on crysis, and then have another attempt at OCing the card later on.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007

Thanks.

Ahh, cheers.

Was just having a quick play and ramped up the core clock (linked with shader clock) to 830Mhz. I then ran the ?scanning for artifacts? test. It seemed ok for a while, but then I started to see random yellow specks popping up, so I set it back to default (675Mhz, I believe).

I think I?ll have a quick go on crisis, and then have another attempt at OCing the card later on.

Yeah, the OCing will take a lot of time. Tell us how is Crysis running on Very High settings. :)

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
damn! 830mhz core, "just messin' around"

that's pretty nice. i bet we get to see 1ghz on this core in the next few g92 products

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: jaredpace
damn! 830mhz core, "just messin' around"

that's pretty nice. i bet we get to see 1ghz on this core in the next few g92 products

Yeah, I wonder how many G92 variants will Nvidia launch? Bad thing for us when competition is lacking. Upping the core some mhzs higher and using a faster DDR3 memory and there we have another G92 card. That's sad...

Jephph

Feb 11, 2006

Thanks.

Make sure Fraps isn't on! I've killed a card like that :roll:

Jephph

Feb 11, 2006
Doesn't bother me, it's just pocket change.

A friend wanted a cheap PCI-e card for his comp, so I thought I?d off load my 7900GTX on to him for £70 and just upgrade to the 9800gtx.

I was originally going to buy an 8800gt, but then I released the 9800gtx had been released and was up for sale, coincidently on the same day I went to purchase the 8800gt.

If it is pocket change, why don't you just buy three of them and put 'em in triple SLI????

:confused:

Because there?s no requirement, I?m running a 19inch 1280x1024 monitor.

Just get this then: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16824001266
Then you'll have the need for Multi-cards :D

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Jephph

Thanks.

Make sure Fraps isn't on! I've killed a card like that :roll:

How did you killed it like that? I don't understand.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005

The 9800GTX uses 0.8ns and that ALONE compensates for one of the biggest drawbacks of G92 as compared to G80 and that's memory bandwidth, with the theoretical clock of 1200MHZ (2400DDR, some users have even gotten it lower, the 8800GTS on the other hand only has a theoretical max clock of 1000MHz with it's 1.0ns memory) the 9800GTX has slightly lower bandwidth than the 8800GTX (~78GBs or so vs ~86GBs) not to mention the 9800GTX has higher voltages which downright guarantee a better overclock. Stability is only rounded up by the extra power connector and better board design.

The 9800GTX is a better card than the 8800GTS simply because of it's overclocking versatility and Tri-SLI. I'm interested to see what they end up doing to the 9800GT (0.8ns memory would be sweet) but being a lower end part they'll probably just rebadge 8800GTs, the best part about the 9800GTs as compared to the 8800GT will be resale value, it's gonna be though selling those 8800GTs to anyone but the enthusiasts looking for that in specific but a 9800GT will be a pretty easy sell and that's just because of the name, it's pretty great.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
Originally posted by: Jephph
Doesn't bother me, it's just pocket change.

A friend wanted a cheap PCI-e card for his comp, so I thought I?d off load my 7900GTX on to him for £70 and just upgrade to the 9800gtx.

I was originally going to buy an 8800gt, but then I released the 9800gtx had been released and was up for sale, coincidently on the same day I went to purchase the 8800gt.

If it is pocket change, why don't you just buy three of them and put 'em in triple SLI????

Because there?s no requirement, I?m running a 19inch 1280x1024 monitor.

Just get this then: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16824001266
Then you'll have the need for Multi-cards :D

There's still not really a great (not even multicard) solution for 30"

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Just tried to run Crysis, but I keep getting the following message: Unable to authenticate original disc within time limit.

Strange, because it worked fine before I changed the graphics card over.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Hey Rich, it's good to see you. Grats on your new card. Your old card looks familiar to me for some reason. How's things? :)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: lopri
Hey Rich, it's good to see you. Grats on your new card. Your old card looks familiar to me for some reason. How's things? :)

lopri, long time no speak! Yes, things are very well, thank you. Yourself? :)

The card looks familiar because it used to be your old card (before I bought it from you). :p :D

The card served me very well, no problems what so ever, but it?s now off to a new home.

If not for my friend upgrading, I would still be using the 7900gtx. ?Tis a great card indeed.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Well, with all settings set to 'very high' at 1280x1024 and AA set to x2 the game is definitely playable, but it does stutter now and again in large fire fights. I?m wondering whether the edition of a quad core and 4 gigs of ram might sort this, hmm?

A few screen caps to show you the difference between the graphics when set to ?all medium? (playable settings on the old 7900gtx) and ?all very high? (playable settings used with 9800gtx w/ DX10).

This is with a resolution of 1280x1024 and AA set to x2:

Medium 1: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0007.jpg
Very High 1: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0008.jpg

Medium 2: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0006.jpg
Very High 2: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0005.jpg

Medium 3: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0000.jpg
Very High 3: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/RichUK/ScreenShot0002.jpg

You can certainly see the IQ difference with the new settings. It just makes it that much more enjoyable to play. I'm happy with it.

araczynski

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
thanks for the pics, i love comparison shots like that :)

i have a 7900gtx that i'm thinking of replacing with a 8800gts512, since the prices are really getting nicer and nicer.

i had a 24" dell a while back, but i ended up getting rid of it since i wanted a single source for all my gaming (360/ps3/wii/pc), so i ended up getting a 42" 1080p lcd tv.

i'd NEVER go back to 'regular' sized monitors.

granted, i keep the pc gaming at a custom 1600x900 resolution, which my 7900gtx handles pretty well for the most part, but its starting to show its age, so i'm guessing the 8800gts512 will put it back into smooth sailing at that resolution.

anyway, blabbing... thanks for the screenshots.