A&F catches heat for their thongs designed for kids

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Quick! Buy a bunch of them, before A&F pulls them off the market! Just the ask the people who grabbed all the asian A&F t-shirts before they pulled them off the shelves, who make a small fortune reselling them for $40 each.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Quick! Buy a bunch of them, before A&F pulls them off the market! Just the ask the people who grabbed all the asian A&F t-shirts before they pulled them off the shelves, who make a small fortune reselling them for $40 each.

too bad A&F sold them for $50. ;)

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
First off, I think thongs are completely ugly.

The fact that they are on 10 year olds just makes it worse. And what I don't get is why there is writing on them - especially such suggestive writing as "wink wink" and "eye candy". Just who is going to be reading a 10 year olds thong?

If they were completely plain I could at least see their reason for selling them being to hide panty lines, but do you need them to have eye candy written on them to hide a panty line?

weezergirl

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
It is sad but there are 13 year olds having sex and doing so many crazy things nowadays. My cousin is 13 and goes to a school in Los Angeles. The stories she tells me of what kids her age are doing now are so horrendous. I can't even imagine what it's like! Acts like these are definitely promoting the ruin of society and our morals. It's very sad that A&F have stooped this low to make money. I hope everybody who objects to this is taking a stance by not buying A&F clothing (if they ever did before). That really is the only way that they will learn their lesson.

:disgust:

sheselectric

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
Ugh. Whatever happened to the innocence of youth? Now 7-year-olds are having to worry about panty lines? Are you SERIOUS? I didn't even wear thongs until I was 18.

A & F is slowly going down the tubes, and I am celebrating.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: weezergirl
It is sad but there are 13 year olds having sex and doing so many crazy things nowadays. My cousin is 13 and goes to a school in Los Angeles. The stories she tells me of what kids her age are doing now are so horrendous. I can't even imagine what it's like! Acts like these are definitely promoting the ruin of society and our morals. It's very sad that A&F have stooped this low to make money. I hope everybody who objects to this is taking a stance by not buying A&F clothing (if they ever did before). That really is the only way that they will learn their lesson.

:disgust:

I know, it really is amazing. Things are even a lot different from when I was in school, and that was only 6 years ago..

I went to the jr. prom with my girlfriend, and I was pretty shocked.. lol..

Her brothers and sisters are middle school age(6th and 7th), and you can just tell that things are different.. lol.. And of course, its different in a bad way.. lol

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I'm tired of this mixed message society gives us/kids: pedophiles are the Devil, but let's sexualize kids through the media and such as often as we can. We need a unified, clear voice on this: leave the kids alone, period.
YOU ROCK, GTaudiophile!!!

Grminalac

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Well, its simple, if you don't like it don't buy it. I do not think 10 year olds are out doing the shopping themselves, it would be the parents buying it for the kids. I think a lot of parents are too busy with their own lives to really care about what is going on with their children and too willing to just give them what they want to they shut up and leave them alone.
We live in a world where junior high is similar to a penitentary. Kids walk through a metal detector just to get in, they get frisked for weapons on a daily basis and the bathroom stalls have no doors on them; that way a 13 year old cannot hide inside the stall and sniff coke. When I was a junior in high school I knew several people that got caught stealing mortar and pestles from the chem lab, why did they steal it? Well they had some horse tranquilizers they needed to grind up for the purposes of sniffing. Oh yeah the teachers had better not be too harsh on the kids else they will get sued by the parents. Welcome to the future.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Going where angels fear to tread...

My wife bought some kids thong underwear for our 9 year old daughter, I asked her why & her response was that the child has conventional underwear constantly crammed up in the nether regions (and having done the laundry a couple of times, I have to agree), why not?

Seems like our 9 year old's backside lends itself to the crawling underwear phenomenon;)

I recall a similar controversy when the bikini-style underwear came out for men & women both & OMFG children...